Re: Intro

  • ldeerslayer
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2003
      Painting and the Market in Early Modern Antwerp by Elizabeth Alice
      Honig ISBN 0-300-07239-2 got it at Half-Price Books for 12.95

      Looks like with my current schedule I'll only be able to make it here
      about once every other week...I also look forward to "chatting" with
      ya'll

      L. DeerSlayer

      --- In SCAbasketry@yahoogroups.com, "Gillam, Carol Denise"
      <gillamd@u...> wrote:
      > Welcome to the list!
      >
      > Sounds like an interesting book. Would you share the title,
      author, and ISBN please? Looking forward to "chatting" with you.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • doerksen@island.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2008
        Salaam aleikum

        My name is Halima al-Rakkasa, late of Dimashq (SCA: Shire of
        Cragmere, Principality of Tir Righ, Kingdom of An Tir). I
        have joined in the hope of finding more information on Near
        Eastern basketry, more than the single image from the 13th
        century; if it's possible, I'd like to know more about
        baskets and other carrying-things from around Syria, 10
        years before the franji get uppity.

        Oops.

        I beg pardon... before the knights of the Holy Roman Empire
        decide to rescue Jerusalem!

        Ma'asalaama
        Halima
        --
        http://www.island.net/~doerksen/

      • Terrence van Ettinger AKA Angus MacLaren
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 20, 2008
          Greetings, M',lord Halima! I am also newly come to the list, hailing from the Barony of
          Eskalya, in the principality of Oertha, in the West Kingdom. I fear I have nothing to offer you in
          your quest, but wish you every success in your quest for information. It seems this list is quite a slow list, as
          I believe yours is the only message I have seen since my arrival a few months ago--and my knowledge
          is rather limited. Welcome, though, and again, I hope you are able to find what you seek.

          Slainte,
          Lord Angus MacLaren

          On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:09:20 -0700, wrote:

          >Salaam aleikum My name is Halima al-Rakkasa, late of Dimashq (SCA: Shire of
          >Cragmere, Principality of Tir Righ, Kingdom of An Tir). I have joined in the
          >hope of finding more information on Near Eastern basketry, more than the
          >single image from the 13th century; if it's possible, I'd like to know more
          >about baskets and other carrying-things from around Syria, 10 years before
          >the franji get uppity. Oops. I beg pardon... before the knights of the Holy
          >Roman Empire decide to rescue Jerusalem! Ma'asalaama Halima --
          >http://www.island net/~doerksen/ ------------ --------- --------- ---------
          >--------- --------- - This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging
          >Program.

        • Marian Walke
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 21, 2008
            doerksen@... wrote:

            > Salaam aleikum
            >
            > My name is Halima al-Rakkasa, late of Dimashq (SCA: Shire of
            > Cragmere, Principality of Tir Righ, Kingdom of An Tir). I
            > have joined in the hope of finding more information on Near
            > Eastern basketry, more than the single image from the 13th
            > century; if it's possible, I'd like to know more about
            > baskets and other carrying-things from around Syria, 10
            > years before the franji get uppity.

            Welcome!

            I have found a lot of information on ancient Egyptian basketry from the
            site of the Petrie Museum in London:
            http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/basketry/

            If you search their collection, you will find quite a number of images.
            One that I found really remarkable is from the Roman period:
            http://www.petrie.ucl.ac.uk/detail/details/index_no_login.php?objectid=UC28047&accesscheck=%2Fdetail%2Fdetails%2Findex.php

            It is so incredibly modern looking. Evidently in Egypt, once they got
            the idea of basketry, nothing changed much. I don't know if this was
            true all over the Middle East, but it might make a starting point for
            your research.

            Best of luck!
            Old Marian
          • Dianne
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 24, 2008
              Greetings!

              My name is Laurensa, and I reside in the Shire of Owlsherste in the East Kingdom. (mundanely York PA)

              I haven't made a basket since about 5th grade art class, but have apparently gotten a wild hair and want to learn how to do it. Cause, you know, I don't have ENOUGH hobbies!

              Laurensa