Re: [SCAbasketry] Hey

  • Amaris Marinaro
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 21, 2003
      I didn't even know I was still on this chat.....heh
      I havent' heard from anyone either.....I'm interested
      in weaving a shield like some of the ones in museums.
      I've just started looking into books on weaving.
      Sorry...
      Amaris
      --- "Judy <judymcdade@...>"
      <judymcdade@...> wrote:
      > I would like to know when you chat on this site.
      > I would like to learn more about vintage baskets.
      > Looking forward to interacting with other lovers
      > of baskets.

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Daniel Henry
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 24, 2003
        Hello,
        My name is Lorie. I have been making baskets for years. I use reed
        although I would love to use white oak, however, I don't have any trees to
        cut down. I have made ribbed baskets (like egg baskets), staked baskets
        (like market baskets) and lately I have been working on wicker baskets. I
        work part time at a local historical site doing basket demonstrations. I
        have beed trying to find SCA documentation for basket weaving, however I
        haven't gotten too far. It looks like maybe wicker might be the closest to
        period.

        Good to hear from you...I thought I somehow fell out of the loop.
        Lorie

      • fionnghuala069 <fionnghuala069@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2003
          Hello Lorie. I'm fairly new to this group. I'm interested in making
          period baskets as well. I have an extra copy of the Compleat
          Anachronist "Medieval Baskets" that I'm willing to give someone. If
          you want it just let me know (off list to fionnghuala069@...).

          I'm making my first willow basket for an arts & science competition
          in my Barony this month. I gathered the willow myself. I would love
          to talk more about basketry. I plan to use my baskets at events.
        • Beatrice Sidney
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2003
            I thought this seemed like an advantageous time to delurk and intorudce myself. This does seem to be a fairly quiet list!
            I've just started basket-weaving after a fairly long absence from Appalachian-style weaving. I hit a significant snag with some rotten cane stock and am now overhauling my whole approach more towards willow. Most of my interest is in utilitarian baskets such as seen in Pieter Arzen's paintings.
            Beatrice

          • Denise J. Gillam
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2003
              At 12:46 PM 3/4/03 -0800, you wrote:

              >I thought this seemed like an advantageous time to delurk and intorudce
              >myself. This does seem to be a fairly quiet list!
              >I've just started basket-weaving after a fairly long absence from
              >Appalachian-style weaving. I hit a significant snag with some rotten cane
              >stock and am now overhauling my whole approach more towards willow. Most
              >of my interest is in utilitarian baskets such as seen in Pieter Arzen's
              >paintings.
              >Beatrice

              That's exactly what I want to tackle next as well. Got to get up my nerve
              to work with willow first. My state (NC) basket maker's convention is
              coming up and the "be all, end all" expert in working with willow, Bonnie
              Gale is teaching. Unfortunately, it's the weekend after Gulf Wars and I
              couldn't work it out to do both. So still searching for a teacher. Oh
              well, got lots of books to guide me - just have to get up the nerve. After
              all, it's just a plant - I can get more if I mess it up, right?
              : )

              Caroline

              Denise J. Gillam
              PR Manager
              Campus Dining Services
              UNCW
              (910) 962-3960
            • Denise J. Gillam
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 6, 2003
                Just curious, where are you located?
                Caroline

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10, 2003
                  Dear Caroline,

                  I'm located in Charlottesville, VA.

                  Lorie

                  At 11:17 AM 03/06/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                  > Just curious, where are you located?
                  > Caroline
                  >

                  > At 01:11 PM 2/24/03 -0500, you wrote:
                  >>Hello,
                  >> I use reed
                  >>although I would love to use white oak, however, I don't have any trees to
                  >> I have made ribbed baskets (like egg baskets), staked baskets
                  >>have beed trying to find SCA documentation for basket weaving, however I
                  >> It looks like maybe wicker might be the closest to
                  >>period.
                  >>
                  >>Good to hear from you...I thought I somehow fell out of the loop.
                  >>Lorie
                  >>

                  >>At 01:36 PM 02/21/2003 -0000, you wrote:
                  >>> I would like to know when you chat on this site.
                  >>> I would like to learn more about vintage baskets.
                  >>> Looking forward to interacting with other lovers
                  >>> of baskets.

                  >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                  > Denise J. Gillam
                  > PR Manager
                  > Campus Dining Services
                  > UNCW
                  > (910) 962-3960
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                • Tanya Clapshaw (Mira Silverlock)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10, 2003
                    Noble friends,

                    Just a quick note to apologize for delay in posting some of the messages
                    you have sent. Due to spammers that try to sneak into the group (today's
                    winner was a Muslim religious tract from the UK) I have the settings
                    enabled to have all messages moderated. My apologies if this delays the
                    postings of your conversations, but after seeing some of the garbage
                    that has come across lately, I've felt it was necessary.

                    Okay, back to your chat :)

                    Dame Mira Silverlock, your friendly neighborhood Moderator

                    --
                    Ulfredsheim household member, An Tir
                    http://www.currentmiddleages.org/ulfredsheim/index.html