Newbie Introduction

  • grannylorie
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 16 1:49 PM
      Hello,
      I have just discovered this list, and I am happy to find it exists.
      My name is Lorraine and I have been weaving ribbed baskets for around
      20 years. I make egg baskets, staked market baskets and round potato
      baskets. Although I have been a member of the SCA for many years
      (Kingdom of Atlantia), I have been away and now I am back. I never
      displayed my baskets because I couldn't find documentation to
      discover when this type of baskets were made. I have read that ribbed
      baskets were Celtic in origin (from the use of the god's eye
      lashing). I was also reluctant to display my baskets because I use
      flat reed (because it is available) and I was afraid that it would
      not be considered "Period". If you have any suggestions as to where
      I can find documentation or if ribbed baskets are period, I would
      appreciate it.
      Lorraine
    • Bryn Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 16 2:28 PM
        Hi!
        Welcome to the list! It is a low-traffic list, you'll see, but fairly
        Atlantia-heavy. I have entered rattan-cane baskets as A&S competitions with
        the note saying why I used that material, and been well-received. There is
        one Compleat Anachronist on baskets, and it is quite helpful. Welcome back
        to the kingdom!

        Lady Bryn y Pobydd (Knowne World Piping Champion Pennsic XXXI)
        Canton of Kappellenberg, Barony of Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia
        Quarterly sable and gules, two feathers fess-wise argent.
        http://www.geocities.com/bryn_y_pobydd

      • Denise J. Gillam
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 16 2:39 PM
          Greetings from the shores of Seareach!
          I have displayed baskets with the same disclaimer - used modern materials
          because of lack of sources, availability of materials, etc. I have
          received good comments so far. We need to be seen more though! I
          encourage others to join me and display/compete more often.

          I too welcome you to the list!
          Caroline

          Bryn, I didn't know you made baskets! Got to talk to you sometime about
          your work.
          : )

          At 05:28 PM 10/16/02 -0400, you wrote:
          >Hi!
          > Welcome to the list! It is a low-traffic list, you'll see, but
          > fairly
          >Atlantia-heavy. I have entered rattan-cane baskets as A&S competitions with
          >the note saying why I used that material, and been well-received. There is
          >one Compleat Anachronist on baskets, and it is quite helpful. Welcome back
          >to the kingdom!
          >
          >Lady Bryn y Pobydd (Knowne World Piping Champion Pennsic XXXI)
          >Canton of Kappellenberg, Barony of Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia
          >Quarterly sable and gules, two feathers fess-wise argent.
          >http://www.geocities.com/bryn_y_pobydd

          Denise J. Gillam
          PR Manager
          Campus Dining Services
          UNCW
          (910) 962-3960
        • AntoniaDT@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 16 3:15 PM
            Welcome to the list Lorraine. This isn't a very active list, but it has the
            same potential as any other list for that. I don't think you need to worry
            about whether people will diss you because you use what is available vs.
            what may well be an 'exotic' material. They'll be properly impressed that
            you made it yourself. I always am. If you are sharing what you know and
            what you have found out about your craft, you are educating yourself and
            other people; always a good thing in my book.

            Again, Welcome
            Antonia

          • Bryn Smith
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 17 5:37 AM
              Caroline- I know why you don't remember talking about baskets with me- the
              first and last time we talked about it was at your apprenticing ceremony, so
              I suspect the day was just too full of stuff to keep non-essential
              information.
              I'll see you at Crown Tournament, though!

              Lady Bryn y Pobydd (Knowne World Piping Champion Pennsic XXXI)
              Canton of Kappellenberg, Barony of Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia
              Quarterly sable and gules, two feathers fess-wise argent.
              http://www.geocities.com/bryn_y_pobydd

              Caroline said:
              <snip>
              > Bryn, I didn't know you made baskets! Got to talk to you sometime about
              > your work.
              > : )

            • Olwen the Odd
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 17 6:04 AM
                >Hi!
                > Welcome to the list! It is a low-traffic list, you'll see, but fairly
                >Atlantia-heavy. I have entered rattan-cane baskets as A&S competitions
                >with
                >the note saying why I used that material, and been well-received. There is
                >one Compleat Anachronist on baskets, and it is quite helpful. Welcome back
                >to the kingdom!
                >
                >Lady Bryn y Pobydd (Knowne World Piping Champion Pennsic XXXI)
                >Canton of Kappellenberg, Barony of Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia

                Yes, hello! I read your post yesterday but had no time to respond. Where
                in Atlantia do you live Lorrainne? I have been very quiet on the list
                mostly because I have pretty much stopped making baskets for now. When I
                was making them, the only kind I made were pine needle baskets. I slipped
                into the cooking aspect of the SCA and have been busy there for quite a
                while now. Probably why when I read Bryn's (Knowne World Piping Champion
                Pennsic XXXI) I was wondering how they could have had a frosting piping
                competition without me knowing about it!
                Lady Olwen the Odd

              • Bryn Smith
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 17 6:28 AM
                  Olwen said:
                  <snip>
                  > while now. Probably why when I read Bryn's (Knowne World Piping Champion
                  > Pennsic XXXI) I was wondering how they could have had a frosting piping
                  > competition without me knowing about it!

                  This took me a minute. I'm envisioning frosted bagpipes! Yuck! But,
                  speaking of baking, are you entering Tirloch's baking competition at Crown?
                  Nevermind! Back to baskets!!

                  I didn't have much chance to work on baskets this summer (because I was
                  baking so much for Coronation...), and now it's cold again :( so I can't
                  work outside with soaked reed. What does everyone do in the winter time? I
                  always get splashed and wet when I work on baskets, so it is confined to
                  warm/hot days.
                  Bryn
                  Bagpipes- it's only 9 notes, how hard can it be?
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 17 6:56 AM
                    You're absolutely right. A lot of stuff went right by me that day because
                    I was so nervous! See you at Crown!

                    At 08:37 AM 10/17/02 -0400, you wrote:
                    >Caroline- I know why you don't remember talking about baskets with me- the
                    >first and last time we talked about it was at your apprenticing ceremony, so
                    >I suspect the day was just too full of stuff to keep non-essential
                    >information.
                    >I'll see you at Crown Tournament, though!
                    >
                    >Lady Bryn y Pobydd (Knowne World Piping Champion Pennsic XXXI)
                    >Canton of Kappellenberg, Barony of Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia
                    >Quarterly sable and gules, two feathers fess-wise argent.
                    >http://www.geocities.com/bryn_y_pobydd
                    >
                    >Caroline said:
                    ><snip>
                    > > Bryn, I didn't know you made baskets! Got to talk to you sometime about
                    > > your work.
                    > > : )

                    Denise J. Gillam
                    PR Manager
                    Campus Dining Services
                    UNCW
                    (910) 962-3960
                  • WickedEleg@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 17 7:22 AM
                      I get a nice fire going in the fireplace, put down lots of plastic (painter's
                      drop sheets work well) and do my baskets indoors.

                      Gwyn of Ealdormere

                      In a message dated 10/17/02 9:28:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      bryn@... writes:

                      > I didn't have much chance to work on baskets this summer (because I was
                      > baking so much for Coronation...), and now it's cold again :( so I can't
                      > work outside with soaked reed. What does everyone do in the winter time?
                      > always get splashed and wet when I work on baskets, so it is confined to
                      > warm/hot days.
                      > Bryn

                    • Bryn Smith
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 17 7:35 AM
                        So, after I get my woodstove, I'll get to make baskets in the winter! Cool!

                        Bryn (http://www.geocities.com/bryn_y_pobydd)
                        Skill without imagination is craftsmanship, and gives us many useful objects
                        such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us
                        modern art. --Tom Stoppard

                      • Olwen the Odd
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 17 7:49 AM
                          >I'll see you at Crown Tournament, though!
                          >
                          >Lady Bryn y Pobydd (Knowne World Piping Champion Pennsic XXXI)
                          >Canton of Kappellenberg, Barony of Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia

                          Hey all! It would be fun to meet any of you who will be attending Crown
                          Tourney. It is being held right here in the Barony I live in. Please seek
                          me out and introduce yourselves! Most likely you will find me in the
                          kitchen. I will be there Friday night helping prep for feast and
                          cooking/serving Travelers Fare, Saturday morning and later Saturday
                          afternoon and evening. Since i live up this way, most anyone working the
                          event will be able to point me out.
                          Olwen

                        • Olwen the Odd
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 17 7:56 AM
                            >Olwen said:
                            ><snip>
                            > > while now. Probably why when I read Bryn's (Knowne World Piping
                            >Champion
                            > > Pennsic XXXI) I was wondering how they could have had a frosting piping
                            > > competition without me knowing about it!
                            >

                            > This took me a minute. I'm envisioning frosted bagpipes! Yuck! But,
                            >speaking of baking, are you entering Tirloch's baking competition at Crown?
                            >Nevermind! Back to baskets!!
                            >
                            > I didn't have much chance to work on baskets this summer (because I was
                            >baking so much for Coronation...), and now it's cold again :( so I can't
                            >work outside with soaked reed. What does everyone do in the winter time?
                            >always get splashed and wet when I work on baskets, so it is confined to
                            >warm/hot days.
                            >Bryn

                            Yes. I am entering the soltie competition. I am also planning on entering
                            a rendition of the newly passed Queens Arms, except mine will also be a
                            soltie instead of parchement. Folks would think I am slipping if I didn't
                            do her new Arms in marzipan. So Bryn, sounds like you will be entering one
                            or both competitions?

                            Hmm...the most I have done basketwise lately is to move them from one place
                            to another...
                            Olwen

                          • Daniel Henry
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 17 4:41 PM
                              Hello,
                              I was so glad to hear from you. I am with the College of Caer Gelynniog
                              (formerly the college of Caer Gelin) in the Barony of Caer Mear. Someone
                              asked what one does when it is too cold to wet the reed for baskets. I
                              usually spin (at events) in the winter time. However, I still make baskets
                              indoors. I just bought a book on weaving wicker and I think I'll try my
                              hand at that. I really enjoyed the art pictures you posted on the web.
                              Most of those baskets look like wicker to me. I am still looking for
                              documentation for the ribbed baskets with the god's eye lashing.
                              Hope to see you at an event.
                              Lorraine (Hope to have a SCA name soon)