Konsgardenhand basket

  • luichart.woollens@lineone.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      I was looking at the picture of the Konsgardenhand basket on the web page
      and wondered about the technique used to make it. Is the basket made of
      willow? It looks like a coiled basket using willow. Is anyone familiar
      with this technique?
      Harry
    • jhasselrot
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2002
        I suppose you are thinking of the basket remains from the Oseberg
        find in Norway. They are coiled from roots, probably birch roots
        ("taeger" in Norwegian). For more, see my comments earlier in
        SCAbasketry (around 18 Dec).

        Jonas Hasselrot (Sweden)