Re: New to the List

  • bethlakshmi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2006
      --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, "avani_pari" <avani_pari@...> wrote:

      > Greetings to all! My name is Jewel. In the SCA, I am known as
      > Julienne fille Gaspard, a 14th century French woman.

      Bonjour! I mean... Namaste! :)

      I'm Lakshmi, I live in Carolingia (Boston, MA) and do 16th century S.
      Indian temple dancer stuff!

      > Thus far, I have had trouble finding pictures of shravaks and
      > shravikas, other than in modern times. Do they wear the same
      > clothing as the sadhus and sadhvis, or do they wear the clothing of
      > the people, and follow the vows given them (limited vows set for
      > householders)? If they wear the clothing of the people, could
      > someone direct me to a book or site that shows clothing of 15th-
      16th
      > century India?

      It's hard to say for sure. In Indian art, pictures of common folks
      are pretty hard to come by. The vast majority of our art is
      nobility, performance artists, and religious people. I did manage to
      find one picture that might work, and added it to our picture
      archives here:

      http://generalism.net/gallery/14thC/ladies_and_nuns

      The two figures on the right are identified as ladies, and they look
      alot like the queens of the same time period... but that's about the
      only non-queen, non-dancer, non-saint picture I could find.

      There's a bunch more Jain pictures in the 15th and 16th century
      albums:

      http://generalism.net/gallery/15thC
      http://generalism.net/gallery/16thC/Jain_dancers

      Anything labeled "Kalpasutra" will be Jain, that's a Jain
      manuscript. There's a big hunk of Jain art around 15th c. Gujarat,
      which is about the easiest place to put a Jain.

      Hindu stuff is a whole other story. We have scads of Hindu stuff. I
      suggest browsing the archive above, since the volume can be just
      overwhelming!

      > These are the only times that I could discover that
      > Western Europe was in full communication with India, so would be
      the
      > only time that India would be in the SCA time period, right?

      That depends on who you talk to and how much you want to buck the
      system. I just reread SCA corpora - the legally binding document of
      the SCA - and the April 22, 2006 version doesn't say a thing about a
      restriction based on European contact. They say that this is a
      Middle Ages/Rennaissance organization, and the introduction suggests
      that if you deviate from the European cultures, you should expect to
      be outside the "norm", although they don't particularly forbid it.
      In fact by recognizing that there are foriegn personas, it's almost a
      tacit permission.

      Back in 1998 when I first started playing, the SCA.org website said a
      quote much like what you suggest - that to play a foriegner, you had
      to prove that your culture had contact with Europe at that time. One
      of the many reasons I ended up with a 16th century persona. But the
      rules change as we go.

      That said, the Portuguese infestation (grin) of the 16th century
      isn't the earliest contact with India. Marco Polo visits India
      during his 13th-14th century lifetime and other explorers follow
      him. And in ancient history, Alexander the Great conquers parts of
      N. India, and there is evidence of Sanskriod graffiti in a Greek
      archeological site. Also, Indian art of that time has a decided
      Greco Roman influence in its use of bas reliefs and treatment of
      draped fabrics.

      > I'm very new to the study of medieval India, so any tips or hints
      or
      > nudges in the right direction would be great!

      Well, it's a journey for all of us. My few peices of advice:
      - India is comparable to Europe in landmass, population, and
      organization. It's a group of countries and dynasties that grow,
      shrink and conquer each other. It's easiest to find out information
      if you know your religion, social position, and the dynasty/country
      in which you live.
      - India is the great land of rotting fabric. We have abysmally
      little in the way of extant textile artifacts. Almost everything we
      do is conjecture. The few peices we do have, are either exceedingly
      late period, or exports to Egypt, SE Asia, or Europe.
      - The jewelry is as, if not more, important the clothing. Jewelry
      tend to change more dramatically from era to era than clothing does.

      Welcome, welcome!