Name documentation

  • sheaailidh
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2005
      i am new to the Indian personna, but i really like and would like to
      try to get an indian name passed. i have one that i really like but i
      don't even know if it is period or what era, or tribe it belongs to.
      Also i am have the hardest dang time trying to find a last name that i
      like. i was just wondering if someone would like to help me figure
      this whole thing out. i am so confused.
      the name that i really like is Lalita Sevati....(insert last name here)
      if someone could please help me document this i would be very, VERY
      happy.
      thank you
      heidi
    • Margaret Polson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
        Welcome to the list Heidi.

        First thing you should do is go check out the stuff
        that is up in the files section of the group website.
        There are a couple of name documents up there. There
        are also a whole bunch of other stuff up there.

        Also, you can search the archives of messages for the
        list. A lot questions have been gone over before.

        Second thing, naming practices vary widely in India
        based on your time/place/religion/caste etc, etc.
        This is true of just about everything in India, but is
        particularly true of names. In some times/places
        there are no family (last) names, particularly for
        women.

        If you just like the name and are willing to take
        whatever time/place you can document it to, that will
        make it easier.

        Do you have documentation for the other two names? It
        was not clear from your message. I know that
        currently Lalita is a more southern name, but I am not
        familiar with the other name.

        Meenakshi

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • bethlakshmi
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
          Hi Heidi, or Lalita!

          I'm afraid I'm not the best person to give advice on passing Indian
          names through the College of Arms, as I never even tried with my own.

          But I had a few useful thoughts on name documentation and putting
          together a credible bundle for the heralds. First off, in India, so
          much of the culture is so unique to a region and period that helps to
          have decided a few basic persona questions before you start on
          documenting a name:

          - what era do you want? A general breadth of a century or two may be
          enough - but India and Indian languages in 600AD are very different
          from 1600 AD. As with most places, the later in time you go, the
          easier it may be to find information down to a single decade or
          specific city or state

          - where do you want to be from? The easiest divide is North vs.
          South - the two areas have entirely different languages, different
          grammars and different alphabets. But even narrowing your choice down
          to a modern Indian state can help - for example the southern state of
          Karnataka is often an entirely different empire from the southern state
          of Tamil Nadu - so much so that the two states have different languages
          and alphabets.

          - what religion would your persona have? While you certianly don't
          need to participate in any religious observance, religion is so
          intricately tied to naming and dress in India, that it's very hard to
          figure out a name without picking a religion.

          - Caste - knowing your caste, if you are Hindu, can also help. There
          are certain cases I know of where some unusual castes will do family
          names entirely different from the "normal" castes. Temple women come
          to mind.

          From there, it's often easiest to start with historic resources - like
          poetry, stories, epigraphs, listings of honored people, and so forth,
          and look for a name you like, rather than picking a name and trying to
          work backward. Then it's very easy to say "this name was cited in X
          place at X time". 'back documenting' - picking a name and then trying
          to figure out documentation, often leads to a series of conjectures
          that can lead to the name not getting passed.

          Then it helps to dig into naming conventions - all sorts of convetions
          are used by different groups:
          - father's first name as child's family name
          - mother's first name as child's family name
          - an enduring last name that runs through generations
          - last name connected to family occupation
          - last name connected to place of origin

          Lastly, if name registration is the main goal, I suggest avoiding
          anything that may be a goddess-name - it's very appropriate, but not
          easy to explain to European-oriented Heralds. I see that the first
          things that come for a Net search on Lalita are the goddess of the same
          name name. That means that you will want to find a way to make a good
          case that naming children after dieties is a common practice in the
          area of medeival India you wish to be from. It IS pretty common, so
          it's mostly gathering some cases as examples.

          The next trick is showing that the names Lalita and Sevati would be
          used as personal names in some period of history. I'm having a heck of
          time digging up the history of Lalita the goddess... at first glance
          she appears to be connected to tantrism, which really develops mostly
          post-period, although it may start before 1600. But... the name may or
          may not predate the goddess...

          Sorry I can't be more help with finite answers...

          -Lakshmi

          --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, "sheaailidh" <elektraamethyst@g...>