Re: [SCA_India] Fwd: Re: Hindu male garb question/Dhoti and Jama

  • Margaret Polson
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2005
      I sent it as an attachment to the whole list as a
      mistake, I ment to just sent it off list

      I'll go ahead and post it

      --- unclrashid <unclrashid@...> wrote:
      > Did you post a pic? I can't find it. Please send
      > more better clues.
      > :(
      >
      > Rashid
      >

      > --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Polson
      > <mlpolson@y...> wrote:
      > > Here you go
      > >
      > > From Deccani Painting, Mark Zebrowski, pg 31

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Jim and Andi
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2005
        Margaret Polson wrote:

        > I sent it as an attachment to the whole list as a
        > mistake, I ment to just sent it off list
        >
        > I'll go ahead and post it

        Hey Meenakshi,

        What is the year of this painting?

        Madhavi
      • Amber McMillan
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2005
          Deccan is really, really new to me, so I have a few questions as well.

          There is a line above the jama's crossed neck. Is that an under garment?

          About 2" under his right arm is a triangular seam/decoration.
          What is that, in the Uncle Rashid's diagram there isn't anything like
          that.

          Swannoc
        • unclrashid
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2005
            I really don't know anything about Deccan, but I would bet he has on an
            undershirt. It is also possible that it is a "fill-in" panel. Some
            traditional jamas (by traditional, I mean late 19th or early 20th
            century) have a seperate panel that fills in the neckline.

            I think that triangular seam is a cutout that allows the jama ties to
            show. Normally, a jama will show ties only on one side, because on a
            double-breasted outfit one side ties on the outside, and the other ties
            on the inside. (due to the nature of an "overlap").

            The way to verify what is going on with those triangular seams is to
            look at many many pictures until you find one or more similar outfits
            pictured from the side or the back. (not always possible, and sometime
            it takes years to find it)

            Rashid