Re: [SCA_India] My culture can do anything yours can do

  • mokurai
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2005
      Natalya DeFoix wrote:

      > or the Chinese had decided the steam engine was more than just a toy?
      >
      >Or if Admiral Zheng He had not been recalled to China...
      >

      >Natalya

      Oooh...yeah. that's a good one. :-) We'd all be reading Chinese
      newspapers, maybe.

      - mokurai
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2005
        mokurai wrote:

        >>Natalya DeFoix wrote:

        >>Or if Admiral Zheng He had not been recalled to China...
        >
        >Oooh...yeah. that's a good one. :-) We'd all be reading Chinese
        >newspapers, maybe.

        Have you read _The Years of Rice and Salt_?  Its a neat alternate history set in a world where the population of Europe get wiped out by the bubonic plauge, so the main competition is between various Muslim countries (some of which are located in a resettled Europe) and China.

        -Katie (because Asma hasn't read any science fiction)

           Cariodoc's Maxim: Don't let the Best be the enemy of the Good.

        http://datingsearch.lycos.com
      • Natalya DeFoix
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2005
          Ooooo! No I haven't! Adding it to my list!

          In the non-fiction category, I can recommend "When China Ruled the
          Seas" by Louise Levathes and in fiction, "Green Dragon, White Tiger"
          about ::reverential moment:: Empress Wu Chao by Annette Motley.

          Most of the fiction I read about India is modern - can someone
          recommend a novel (other than "Siddhartha") that deals with pre-1650
          India?

          Many thanks,

          Natalya

          On Apr 1, 2005 9:55 AM, Katherine Throckmorton <kthrockmorton@...> wrote:

          > mokurai wrote:
          >
          > >>Natalya DeFoix wrote:
          >

          > >>Or if Admiral Zheng He had not been recalled to China...
          > >
          > >Oooh...yeah. that's a good one. :-) We'd all be reading Chinese
          > >newspapers, maybe.
          >
          > Have you read _The Years of Rice and Salt_? Its a neat alternate history set in a world where the population of Europe get wiped out by the bubonic plauge, so the main competition is between various Muslim countries (some of which are located in a resettled Europe) and China.
          >
          > -Katie (because Asma hasn't read any science fiction)
          >
          > Cariodoc's Maxim: Don't let the Best be the enemy of the Good.
          >
          > --
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • LaRisa Allen
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 4, 2005
            This is a totally weird book recommendation, and definitely NOT
            pre-1650, but I read a book a few years ago called "Shiva 3000" that
            was very, very good. Futuristic India...I'd love to find more books in
            that style (Sci-fi geek + history geek = me)

            Bhairavi

            On Apr 1, 2005 11:06 AM, Natalya DeFoix <natalya.defoix@...> wrote:
            > Ooooo! No I haven't! Adding it to my list!
            >
            > In the non-fiction category, I can recommend "When China Ruled the
            > Seas" by Louise Levathes and in fiction, "Green Dragon, White Tiger"
            > about ::reverential moment:: Empress Wu Chao by Annette Motley.
            >
            > Most of the fiction I read about India is modern - can someone
            > recommend a novel (other than "Siddhartha") that deals with pre-1650
            > India?
            >
            > Many thanks,
            >
            > Natalya
            >

            > On Apr 1, 2005 9:55 AM, Katherine Throckmorton <kthrockmorton@...>
            > wrote:

            > > >Oooh...yeah. that's a good one. :-) We'd all be reading Chinese
            > > >newspapers, maybe.
            > >
            > > Have you read _The Years of Rice and Salt_? Its a neat alternate history
            > set in a world where the population of Europe get wiped out by the bubonic
            > plauge, so the main competition is between various Muslim countries (some of
            > which are located in a resettled Europe) and China.
            > >
            > > -Katie (because Asma hasn't read any science fiction)
            > >
            > > Cariodoc's Maxim: Don't let the Best be the enemy of the Good.
            > >

            > > --
            > > or
            > > List owner: SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > SCA_India Mailing List Info:
            > or
            > List owner: SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com

            http://www.pir.net/~baital/sca/
          • bethlakshmi
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
              --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, LaRisa Allen <baital@g...> wrote:
              > This is a totally weird book recommendation, and definitely NOT
              > pre-1650, but I read a book a few years ago called "Shiva 3000" that
              > was very, very good. Futuristic India...I'd love to find more books in
              > that style (Sci-fi geek + history geek = me)
              >
              > Bhairavi

              Have you tried "Lord of Light" - Roger Zelazny. I figure you probably
              have, but figured I'd throw it out. Very future, very sci fi, but the
              mythos is based around Hinduism and Buddhism. Not India, though -
              another planet far, far away. Good book.

              -Lakshmi
            • Hroar
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
                MIgtht I also reccomend "Tamastarra"? I cnat rememerb the authroess, but it is a intersting colleciton of part SCI FI and partly not...
                Hroar

                  List owner:   SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com

              • Jindaam@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 9, 2005
                  I have to recoment The Flashman books by George McDonald Fraser. They aren't Sci-Fi, they are historical fiction but I LOVE them! They're also kinda naughty so don't let kids under 16 read them. --Mungala