Re: [SCA_India] ATS vs. Indian

  • Katherine Throckmorton
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 1, 2005
      Meenakshi wrote:

      >  Best guess, is
      >pants, just because they tend to show the draping of
      >the fabric when it is a pants wrap.

      That was what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if I was seeing what I expected to see because.....

      >There is also a 1610 minature that clearly shows the
      >same outfit that is pretty clearly pants.

      Exactly.  And certainly by 1650 it is really obvious that choli/pants/veil is fairly common.  I just wanted to be sure that  I was not the only one who looked at that picture and said "aha!  pants!"  One thing that I'm really starting to find interesting and challenging is how quickly the styles seem to have been changing in the 16th and 17th centuries.  It would be really easy to put together the Indian equivalent of a french hood on a cavalier dress  :)

      Katherine/soon to be determined Indian name
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 1, 2005