RE: [SCA_India] indian armor

  • Dinah & Harold Tackett
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 1, 2005

      From: shauna [mailto:rarejul@...]
      I came across a book in the Museum Replicas catalog called, A
      Glossary of the Construction, Decoration, and use of Arms and
      Armor,in all Countries and in all Times,by George Cameron Stone in
      1935.It is out of publication but can be found at museum replicas.ok
      so Im asumin that this is one of those books that could be used for
      an idea but not for reference.so Im getting the book to take a
      look..will let you all know how I made out.

      Ratanavati- in search of indian armor

      Greetings Ratanavati, I have been meaning to reply to your questions for a while. Sorry.

                  I (unfortunately some times J) am married to a apprentice armour, who some what specialize in Islamic armour (research any way). And I have absorbed much more than I ever though I would, grin………….

                  On “A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration, and use of Arms and Armor, in all Countries and in all Times, by George Cameron Stone, Dover (http://store.yahoo.com/doverpublications/index.html)has this in reprint for $39.95. But from everything I have heard from the Armorers is it is not worth more than that. Don’t forget to check the used book site

            Dover has another one that should be better for you though Indian and Oriental Arms and Armour http://store.yahoo.com/doverpublications/0486422291.html for $19.95. It is still mainly very late to post SCA period. My husband has it, but he is in New Mexico on a job and has it with him.

      I hope this helps,

      Dinah

      Sayyida Dinah bint Ismai’l

    • mokurai
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 1, 2005
        Ok, for the armor curious, I found this page on a quick Google. It's a
        hodge-podge of North, south, Period and OOP, but it has some intriguing
        images (some of which may even be from that old 1935 book we were
        discussing) and tidbits of information. Note the seeming prevalence of
        tridents. I know the trident is an iconic weapon in Buddhism, but the
        idea of someone fighting SCA with one is intriguing. It'd be a
        challenging form, perhaps with one of the bucklers or tombstone-shaped
        shields shown here. Heck, the dancers may find this interesting, too.
        Check out the image of the guys doing ritualistic "Kalarippayatt" combat!

        Cheers,

        - mokurai

        http://www.hindunet.org/saraswati/indianarms.htm

        --
        For the uncontrolled there is no wisdom.
        For the uncontrolled there is no concentration,
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 1, 2005
          Greetings Ratanavati, I have been meaning to reply to your questions for a while. Sorry.

                      I (unfortunately some times J) am married to a apprentice armour, who some what specialize in Islamic armour (research any way). And I have absorbed much more than I ever though I would, grin………….

          Dinah!

          We haven't heard from you... will we see you at Gulf Wars this year?

          Madhavi
        • Dinah & Harold Tackett
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 1, 2005

            From: Jim and Andi [mailto:icbhod@...]
            Dinah!
            We haven't heard from you... will we see you at Gulf Wars this year?
            Madhavi

            Yes, you will, we will be camping in Southern Consortium right next to you again.
                        I am teaching two classes this year (both I have taught before): my Islamic Pastries and the Pre-Mongol Persian Costume class. Nothing directly dealing with India this time.

            Dinah

          • LaRisa Allen
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 2, 2005
              > I came across a book in the Museum Replicas catalog called, A
              > Glossary of the Construction, Decoration, and use of Arms and
              > Armor,in all Countries and in all Times,by George Cameron Stone in
              > 1935.It is out of publication but can be found at museum replicas.ok
              > so Im asumin that this is one of those books that could be used for
              > an idea but not for reference.so Im getting the book to take a
              > look..will let you all know how I made out.

              Just a word of caution: Most of the armorers I know agree that Stone
              is a pretty book, but not so great for actual documentation.
              I have "Oriental Armour", which I think someone else mentioned, and
              it's pretty useful. Mostly late-period.
              For earlier period, the only book I've found that was remotely useful
              was "War in Ancient India" by VR Ramachandra Dikshitar. It's not
              perfect, and mostly provides lists of names of arms and armor
              mentioned in ancient texts and what those things could possibly be.

              Here's a quick excerpt to give you an idea of what the entries are like:

              "Other varieties of armour used merely for protection of the body were
              Sirastrana or protection for the head, Kanthatrana or protection for
              the neck, Kurpasa or a covering for the trunk, Kancuka or a jacket up
              to the knee joints, Varavana or a jacket extending to the heels, Patta
              or an upper garment, and Nagodarika or gloves o protect the fingers."

              Not a lot of other details on materials, construction, etc.

              I hope this has helped a bit, though.

              Bhairavi

              --
              http://www.pir.net/~baital/sca/
            • bethlakshmi
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 2, 2005
                > "Other varieties of armour used merely for protection of the body
                were
                > Sirastrana or protection for the head, Kanthatrana or protection for
                > the neck, Kurpasa or a covering for the trunk, Kancuka or a jacket
                up
                > to the knee joints, Varavana or a jacket extending to the heels,
                Patta
                > or an upper garment, and Nagodarika or gloves o protect the
                fingers."

                > Not a lot of other details on materials, construction, etc.

                Indians making anal-retentive lists and nothing else? Hmm... imagine
                my shock (end sarcasm - giggle). :)

                I noticed in the page Mokurai posted, that one of the Mughal armor
                pictures looked alot like Egyptian or Turkish armor I saw in the LA
                County Museum of Art:

                http://www.pir.net/~beth/Museums/LACMA/LACMASnapshots.html

                5th from bottom of page

                That's period, but not Indian. I orginally snapped it for some
                Middle Eastern ladies embarking on fighting... so no really fabulous
                conclusion here, but at least it's some reasonable armor that is
                closer to India than Europe is. ;)

                -Lakshmi
              • Hroar
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 2, 2005
                  I just HAD to laught!!! 8-)
                  Hroar

                  Indians making anal-retentive lists and nothing else?  Hmm... imagine
                  my shock (end sarcasm - giggle). :)

                  I noticed in the page Mokurai posted, that one of the Mughal armor
                  pictures looked alot like Egyptian or Turkish armor I saw in the LA
                  County Museum of Art:

                  http://www.pir.net/~beth/Museums/LACMA/LACMASnapshots.html

                  5th from bottom of page

                  That's period, but not Indian.  I orginally snapped it for some
                  Middle Eastern ladies embarking on fighting...  so no really fabulous
                  conclusion here, but at least it's some reasonable armor that is
                  closer to India than Europe is. ;)

                  -Lakshmi

                  SCA_India Mailing List Info:
                                         or