RE: [SCA_India] Top ten list

  • Alyssa Stobaugh
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 31, 2004
      I am sooooooo very happy to be going to war!!!  I can not wait to take this class.  Do you have any documentation or sources for armor????

      Ramani

      Jim and Andi <icbhod@...> wrote:
      How about Indian women never wore shoes?

      I like the idea of adding the topless thing too...

      Madhavi

      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 1, 2005
        I've encountered two main myths in doing Indian. One is the "fashion
        hasn't changed in 1000 years" one -- I've seen several people wearing
        obviously modern stuff, but I've bitten my tongue and haven't said
        anything.

        The second, and more prevalent, is that doing Indian means being half
        naked. I do admit, I take a few liberties and probably show off more
        skin than I should, but whenever I suggest Indian, other people say,
        "Well, I don't want to show off my stomach." I then have to explain
        there are lots of styles that are more than just showing off your navel.

        --Archana
      • bethlakshmi
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 2, 2005
          --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, "N.M. Luepke" <birdphile@h...>
          wrote:

          > I've encountered two main myths in doing Indian. One is
          the "fashion
          > hasn't changed in 1000 years" one -- I've seen several people
          wearing
          > obviously modern stuff, but I've bitten my tongue and haven't said
          > anything.

          Friends of mine call this one "foreign therefore period". :) We've
          noticed that it actually happens for many non-Western cultures - that
          if it's foriegn, then it must be correct for our time period.

          ----------------------------

          Another one, although not such a great jumping off point - you *must*
          be covered to be period Indian. I don't think I've ever heard anyone
          say it right out loud, but in our constant focus on clothing, it
          often goes unsaid that topless is really just as period as not
          topless for many eras. In fact for some eras it's nearly impossible
          to find stuff that will cover you enough to pass most state decency
          laws. :)

          While knowing that isn't so useful for a re-enactor working in
          today's world, it's worth while realizing that the norms in many eras
          of Indian culture just weren't the same.

          Kinda goes hand in hand with the "to do Indian you *must* dress
          skimpy". While you don't have to be topless, it's worthwhile to
          focus in on an era that has the right level of nudity for your own
          personal taste. If you want to be covered, some eras aren't gonna
          work, and if you want to wear very little, other eras aren't gonna
          work.

          The bonus of India is we've got such a great spectrum! :)

          -Lakshmi
        • Jindaam@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 3, 2005
            In a message dated 1/2/2005 9:48:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, beth@... writes:
            it's worthwhile to
            focus in on an era that has the right level of nudity for your own
            personal taste.
            The versatility of Indian costume is what I like most about it. And being a nudist at heart I really love the "jewelry and a smile" fashions. Unfortunately, I have yet to find an event that will let me be authentic for more than a night.
            --Mungala
          • Margaret Polson
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 3, 2005
              --- Alyssa Stobaugh <a_stobaugh@...> wrote:

              > I am sooooooo very happy to be going to war!!! I
              > can not wait to take this class. Do you have any
              > documentation or sources for armor????

              Some, depends on what time and place you want. There
              are many pictures in the Akbar-nama of Mughal armour
              (Late period north Indian) Other than that, it can get
              much harder.

              Meenakshi

              http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
            • Alyssa Stobaugh
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 6, 2005
                Perfect...just the era I was interested in.  I look forward to meeting you at Estrella.

                Ramani

                Margaret Polson <mlpolson@...> wrote:

                --- Alyssa Stobaugh <a_stobaugh@...> wrote:

                > I am sooooooo very happy to be going to war!!!  I
                > can not wait to take this class.  Do you have any
                > documentation or sources for armor????

                Some, depends on what time and place you want.  There
                are many pictures in the Akbar-nama of Mughal armour
                (Late period north Indian) Other than that, it can get
                much harder.

                Meenakshi

                                       or
                  List owner:   SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Margaret Polson
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 7, 2005
                  I was not planning on putting it in either of the
                  classes (I also offered to teach late period north
                  India), but I will bring one of the books that has
                  those pictures in it.

                  Meenakshi
                  --- Alyssa Stobaugh <a_stobaugh@...> wrote:

                  > Perfect...just the era I was interested in. I look
                  > forward to meeting you at Estrella.
                  >
                  > Ramani
                  >
                  > Margaret Polson <mlpolson@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > --- Alyssa Stobaugh <a_stobaugh@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I am sooooooo very happy to be going to war!!! I
                  > > can not wait to take this class. Do you have any
                  > > documentation or sources for armor????
                  > >

                  > Some, depends on what time and place you want.
                  > There
                  > are many pictures in the Akbar-nama of Mughal armour
                  > (Late period north Indian) Other than that, it can
                  > get
                  > much harder.
                  >
                  > Meenakshi

                  > or
                  > List owner: SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com

                  > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                  http://my.yahoo.com
                • Alyssa Stobaugh
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 7, 2005
                    Even if I get just a few minutes to talk to you that will suffice.  I have found a couple of things that I hope to review with you at war.

                    Margaret Polson <mlpolson@...> wrote:
                    I was not planning on putting it in either of the
                    classes (I also offered to teach late period north
                    India), but I will bring one of the books that has
                    those pictures in it.

                    Meenakshi
                    --- Alyssa Stobaugh <a_stobaugh@...> wrote:

                    > Perfect...just the era I was interested in.  I look
                    > forward to meeting you at Estrella.

                    > Ramani
                    >
                    > Margaret Polson <mlpolson@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > --- Alyssa Stobaugh <a_stobaugh@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I am sooooooo very happy to be going to war!!!  I
                    > > can not wait to take this class.  Do you have any
                    > > documentation or sources for armor????
                    > >

                    > Some, depends on what time and place you want.
                    > There
                    > are many pictures in the Akbar-nama of Mughal armour
                    > (Late period north Indian) Other than that, it can
                    > get
                    > much harder.
                    >
                    > Meenakshi

                    >                        or
                    >   List owner:   SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com

                    > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                                           or
                      List owner:   SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Dawn Woodward
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 7, 2005
                      I have taken your class some where and I thought it was very good. the only thing that I would like to have and think you should include is the books your pictures/info came from.  I would like to check them out myself and find that I didn't write down the info.

[...]

                        List owner:   SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com

                      Love in Friendship,

                      Dawn / Una

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                    • Margaret Polson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 7, 2005
                        --- Dawn Woodward <dawnuna@...> wrote:

                        > I have taken your class some where and I thought it
                        > was very good. the only thing that I would like to
                        > have and think you should include is the books your
                        > pictures/info came from. I would like to check them
                        > out myself and find that I didn't write down the
                        > info.

                        I have handed out a paper bibliography before. This
                        time I am going to try to remember to burn the bib to
                        the CD, so they don't get lost. Most of the slides I
                        try to note the book and page number on the slides of
                        the power point.

                        I will email you a copy of the bib off list.

                        Meenakshi

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 7, 2005
                          here it is
                          --- Dawn Woodward <dawnuna@...> wrote:

                          > I have taken your class some where and I thought it
                          > was very good. the only thing that I would like to
                          > have and think you should include is the books your
                          > pictures/info came from. I would like to check them
                          > out myself and find that I didn't write down the
                          > info.
                          >
                          > Margaret Polson <mlpolson@...> wrote:OK guys,
                          > I just signed up to teach at Estrella again.
                          > I was thinking of re-vamping my powerpoint to use
                          > the
                          > old "Top ten Indian Costuming Myths" as people
                          > seemed
                          > to enjoy that. So I have pasted the old list we can
                          > up
                          > with awhile ago at the bottom of the email. Any
                          > comments, additions, changes?
                          >
                          > As a not, I am planning on showing the myth and then
                          > the picture(s) to disprove it, so additions or
                          > comments should keep that in mind.
                          >

                          > Meenakshi
                          >

                          > 10. It is not possible to document anything from
                          > India in period.
                          >
                          > 9. Indian costuming has not changed in 1000 years,
                          > so
                          > if is worn now/last 100 years, it is period.
                          >
                          > 8. I like this top in this picture and this skirt in
                          > this picture, so I can wear them together, right?
                          > (Cafeteria documentation)
                          >
                          > 7. Tassels are not period for India and/or tassel
                          > belts are not period.
                          >
                          > 6. Cabaret and/or American Tribal belly dance
                          > outfits
                          > are period Indian.
                          >
                          > 5. Everyone living the Mughal empire all wore the
                          > same clothes. (All North Indian women wore pants/
                          > all
                          > North Indians were Mughals/ Mughal women wore cholis
                          > and skirts)
                          >
                          > 4. Cotton and/or multi-colored block prints are not
                          > period.
                          >
                          > 3. All South East Asian jewelry is the same.
                          >
                          > 2. Saris are not period / Any sari IS period,
                          > regardless of fabric, design etc.
                          >
                          > 1. Cholis are not period

                          > or
                          > List owner: SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                          >

                          > Love in Friendship,
                          >
                          > Dawn / Una

                          > Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced
                          > search. Learn more.

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                        • Margaret Polson
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 8, 2005
                            > Even if I get just a few minutes to talk to you that
                            > will suffice. I have found a couple of things that
                            > I hope to review with you at war.

                            I'm always willing to geek out over Indian costuming.
                            Feel free to swing by Caer Galen (outlands) or catch
                            me walking around, As Lakshmi will not be at war, I
                            should be the only 6 ft tall chick dressed Indian
                            (depending on the weather, it may be Persian)

                            Meenakshi

                            The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                            http://my.yahoo.com
                          • Dawn Woodward
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 10, 2005
                              Meenakshi
                              Thank you so very much. Now I can go to the Library. Yeh more books.

                              Love in Friendship,

                              Dawn / Una

                              http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • Becca Damour
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 10, 2005
                                FYI

                                For thoes who are looking for larger costume bangles,
                                I found some at of all places Target. They are
                                located in the dollar section when you first walk into
                                the store. My hands don't fit into bracelets from
                                clares or other costume stores but these fit with no
                                problem. They have gold, black, blue, pink and I
                                think green. Good cheap wrist filler.

                                Kananbala

                                http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                              • Maya Johnson