Re: [SCA_India] Re: NYC & Disability camping

  • Hroar
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2004
      If I may add some....Diablity camping is in the same place as alway, back near Mid Realm Royal.....It is a good place to be! And it is very close to my merchant booth, the North Bazaar...
      More and more work is being done for Handicaped Mobility...they are VERY good about getting you here and there, and settign up pick up and drop off times...They have made my getting around Pennsic actualy doable  now! Handicapped Mobility can be contacted through security, chirurgeons, and at Information point. Pennsic is definiytly getting more and more available for those who need to be able to get around.
      Master Hroar

         Devamati, there is a disability service at Pennsic that I used a few years ago (when I had a car accident the week before leaving for Pennsic and was unable to walk more than a hundred feet without collapsing in pain).  They work through Security and will take you via cart to wherever you want to go, and pick you up as well to take you back.  Year before last they were on one of the roads that bordered East Kingdom Royal, but that might have changed. IIRC, they would come at an appointed time or I could flag down security who would call them on the radio.  It made my Pennsic for me- it would have been sheer Hell without their help.
         Thanks for the info, Lakshmi and all the others who responded... that site for the MMoA did me in the other night, lol.. I *always* get "lost" in there (I think it was close to 3am when I finally lost my connection and was booted out;).  It is on our list of things to do actually.  We both have been talking about visiting The Cloisters for a few years... is that where the  Ragamala pictures are/were, or in another section?  Is there a separate section for Indian/Asian art or would the Cloisters be the best bet for finding medieval Indian goodies?
         So, what day is your birthday, Lakshmi?  Happy Birthday a little early :)    rua
      Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:58:00 -0000
         From: "bethlakshmi" <beth@...>
      Subject: Re: Indian  stuff in NYC??

      I'm actually heading down there in two weekends - for my birthday.
      From my NY native friends (including Indians) - I'll third Jackson
      Heights at the place to go.  I've had strong recommendations for the
      Jackson Diner as a fabulous place to eat Indian food - but that was
      from the white, Jewish friend.  The Indian female friend says that
      she goes down there to get "threading" done.  This is a mechanism of
      hair plucking using a thread that is popular with S. Asian women.
      She's not sure whether threading would be so great for white people -
      it seems we all have different hair follicles.  But she says the
      threading ladies down there are the best.

      Also for the scholarly side:
      - the Metropolitan Museum of Art - has a fabulous Indian collection -
      the book shop alone is lovely, the museum is even better.

          http://www.metmuseum.org/

        I just can't tell from the web, but when I was there in February,
      they had a collection of early Ragamala paintings - paintings that
      represent the various modes of Indian music (Northern Indian,
      Hindustani music, that is).  There's a codification for each mode and
      what it looks like - for example, the Bhairavi Ragini (female for
      Raga) is a woman worshipping the lingum.

        The collection hovers around the end of the SCA period, and it
      included another one of those cholis with possible seam lines.  I
      have a picture and will get it up, eventually, after some serious
      cleaning, since it's blurry - with no flash.

        Well worth it.

      - The Brooklyn Museum of Art has published one of my favorite big,
      yummy, Indian costume books.  I haven't seen the collection yet, but
      it's on my agenda.

      I also found a pretty darn good restaurant not far from Times Square,
      and I'll never remember the name of it!  Darn it!

      Also, when you shop in Jackson Hieghts, feel out the retail folks, if
      they are quite Indian, they might be up for bargaining.  If they are
      up for bargaining, assume you are getting the "crazy white people"
      price and see what you can do.  Sometimes with charm and persistence
      you can get some fabulous deals.  Durr and I had fun with this in
      Islin, New Jersey. :)

      -Lakshmi

      SCA_India Mailing List Info:
                             or
        List owner:   SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com

    • bethlakshmi
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2004
        --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, missrua2u@n... wrote:
        > Thanks for the info, Lakshmi and all the others who responded...
        that site for the MMoA did me in the other night, lol.. I *always*
        get "lost" in there (I think it was close to 3am when I finally lost
        my connection and was booted out;). It is on our list of things to
        do actually. We both have been talking about visiting The Cloisters
        for a few years... is that where the Ragamala pictures are/were, or
        in another section? Is there a separate section for Indian/Asian art
        or would the Cloisters be the best bet for finding medieval Indian
        goodies?

        Nope. As I understand it (though I haven't been there), Cloisters is
        purely medieval *Europe*, not Asian. You'll see a lot of fabulous
        stuff that any SCAdian would drool over, but you won't catch anything
        Indian. For the Asian collection, hit the main Met museum, the large
        one in Central Park. 1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street is the
        address, I believe.

        The Ragamala Paintings were in the main building. As is a very
        fabulous collection of arms and armor. A few tidbits for Mughals
        from India, but mostly European (but it makes my heart pound and my
        eyes tear up... what can I do? I'm hooked!)

        > So, what day is your birthday, Lakshmi? Happy Birthday a little
        early :) rua

        May 7th - this Friday. :)