Re: new file upload

  • bethlakshmi
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
      --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, ambertig@a... wrote:
      > Hello all,
      > I have finally revamped my indian bibliography and placed it in
      Files in the booklist folder. Let me know if these books help or if
      you have any questions. Some of the books are very hard to get! Good
      luck.
      > Tigger
      > now Teja :)

      Hey! Neat list!

      I had a few questions...

      -----------------------
      The Gesture Language of the Hindu Dance
      Russel Hughes Carreras
      Benjamin Blom Inc (1964)

      How is that? What is the content? Does it have historical stuff, or
      is it dance here and now only?

      -----------------------

      Anga Kavya : Ang Kavya: Nomenclature for Hand Movements and Feet
      Positions in Kathak
      Har-Anand Publications (2002)
      ISBN: 8124108617

      Is the "Anga Kavya" a historic text? I'm so not-fluent on Kathak
      sources... What's the source of the text?

      -----------------------

      Classical Music of South India: Karmatic Tradition in Western
      Notation
      (Monographs in Musicology, No 5)
      By Kanthimathi Kumar, Jean Stackhouse
      Publisher: Pendragon Pr; (October 1987)
      ASIN: 0918728401

      How did you find this? Is it mostly notated music? Anything on
      history? What's the general goal of the book?

      ----------------------
      Indian Block-Printed Textiles in Egypt: The Newberry
      Collection in the Ashmolean
      Museum, Oxford
      Ruth Barnes
      Published 1997

      If I remember right, this one's unbelievably expensive. Did you find
      some neat place to get a good deal? If so, is it reuseable or was it
      a one-time-only sort of find?

      ----------------------

      Thanks,

      Lakshmi
    • ambertig@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
        > Hey! Neat list!
        >
        > I had a few questions...
        >

        > -----------------------
        > The Gesture Language of the Hindu Dance
        > Russel Hughes Carreras
        > Benjamin Blom Inc (1964)
        >
        > How is that? What is the content? Does it have historical stuff, or
        > is it dance here and now only?

        Teja: It is an ok book! It is set in the "here and now", very modern. A perfect source for the beginning Indian dancer because of it's large selection of hasta(mudra) and their modern meanings. It also has wonderful photos of the hands in set hasta(mudra) for reference. I like to cross reference the photos with the statuary poses;)

        -----------------------

        > Anga Kavya : Ang Kavya: Nomenclature for Hand Movements and Feet
        > Positions in Kathak
        > Har-Anand Publications (2002)
        > ISBN: 8124108617
        >

        > Is the "Anga Kavya" a historic text? I'm so not-fluent on Kathak
        > sources... What's the source of the text?

        Teja: It is not a historical text. The source of this text is a modern version of Kathak moment. The author decided to put all of the movements of Kathak into order and created this book. He spoke with scholars and practitioners to compile this book. It also has horrible modern line drawings.

        I am gathering anything with the name Kathak in the title to try and formulate how modern Kathak and period Kathak differ or are similar in movements! That is why this book is in my bib. This book is only useful to dancers who are comparing movements of Kathak.

        > -----------------------
        >
        > Classical Music of South India: Karmatic Tradition in Western
        > Notation
        > (Monographs in Musicology, No 5)
        > By Kanthimathi Kumar, Jean Stackhouse
        > Publisher: Pendragon Pr; (October 1987)
        > ASIN: 0918728401
        >

        > How did you find this? Is it mostly notated music? Anything on
        > history? What's the general goal of the book?

        Teja: I found this while at UGA library. I will admit, this book was beyond my trivial knowledge of music. I was trying to find and understand the differences in north and south Indian music. This might be a book that you would be most interested in, since you are our music guru ;)! I don't remember very much about this book. It did have notation but,it seemed the meat of the book was theory.

        Please understand,I don't always read a book from cover to cover. I tend to have an exact subject, item, or theory that I want confirmation on. (For instance: I decide I want a silk jama with block printed patterns. Then I go through books and pull reference to the item I am making. I won't read the complete book.)

        > ----------------------
        > Indian Block-Printed Textiles in Egypt: The Newberry
        > Collection in the Ashmolean
        > Museum, Oxford
        > Ruth Barnes
        > Published 1997
        >
        > If I remember right, this one's unbelievably expensive. Did you find
        > some neat place to get a good deal? If so, is it reuseable
        > or was it
        > a one-time-only sort of find?

        Teja: again Laughing! Yes it is expensive (like $700?), but I don't own this. I have a wonderful, wonderful library here in my home town who ILLed the book for me. These ladies will find anything I can prove exists. They have even ordered a book for me when I didn't request it, because it was related to my studies and it proved a gem of a find!!!;) (That is what happens when you have real researches and ex-teachers working at your local library.)(My next adventure in ILL, is to see if they can get me a few actual Sanskrit dance treatise and translations!!!) If I remember correctly, it was a $20-25 fee to ship it to my library or maybe more. The book is Hugh!(now I wish I had paid more attention to where they Illed the book from. I could have given you the library name- maybe I should try to get that one again and see)

        Sadly, I only needed the book to get one little piece of documentation for an A&S project, so I blew off most of it.....and looked at the pretty pictures.
        AAgghhhhh I know, I know...... you are saying "YOU WHAT? SACRILIG...WHERE"S THE ROPE" Sometimes I go into crave girl mode......get book find one item...look at pretty picture...take book back! But, that is what I have to do when I work full time, teach dance, and teach karate in the evenings. Then try to play SCA at a high level.

        > ----------------------
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Lakshmi

      • bethlakshmi
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
          > Teja: It is an ok book! It is set in the "here and now", very
          modern. A perfect source for the beginning Indian dancer because of
          it's large selection of hasta(mudra) and their modern meanings. It
          also has wonderful photos of the hands in set hasta(mudra) for
          reference. I like to cross reference the photos with the statuary
          poses;)

          Lakshmi:
          What are your sources for the poses? I'm always fascinated by
          statuary with lots of dance images! There's a lovely Shivite temple
          down south with all the major positions displayed as statues - they
          are even numbered in accordance with the Natya Shastra. But they are
          weather-worn, and thus sometimes hard to discern specifics with. And
          there's a few that my stiff knees and hips say "no way!!" to.

          As a side note, I've heard of exactly one dancer that has actually
          studied these poses and done enough yoga to recreate them. I don't
          remember the name, she almost came to the States years ago, but it
          was the week after 9-11 and things got wacky.

          > I am gathering anything with the name Kathak in the title to try
          and formulate how modern Kathak and period Kathak differ or are
          similar in movements! That is why this book is in my bib. This book
          is only useful to dancers who are comparing movements of Kathak.

          Let me know if you get the names of period Kathak dance texts. While
          my interest is mostly Southern, I've been collecting period dance
          texts and would love to extend the collection Northwards.

          Nicely, the texts I've assembled so far have been in the under $50
          range, so it doesn't break the bank very often to just buy them. I
          find I rely on them so heavily that it pays to not have to re-request
          them.

          But then, short-on-time yuppie that I am, I frequently have the money
          but not the time - so I buy a lot of books instead of ILLing, because
          an ILL involves multiple library trips while a shipping order takes
          about 1/2 an hour and then it comes to my home.

          But for these yummy textile books, I think I'm gonna have to break
          down and start ILLing, I just can't cover the $300-$700 that most of
          them are... which bums me out - since I also use my extant textile
          books frequently, and would love to have more sources to consult
          whenever I want.

          I suppose I could start a piggy bank. :)

          > > Classical Music of South India: Karmatic Tradition in Western
          > > Notation
          >
          > Teja: I found this while at UGA library. I will admit, this book
          was beyond my trivial knowledge of music. I was trying to find and
          understand the differences in north and south Indian music. This
          might be a book that you would be most interested in, since you are
          our music guru ;)! I don't remember very much about this book. It did
          have notation but,it seemed the meat of the book was theory.

          Sigh. Ain't that always the way. Indian music is very geeky -
          there's a lot of thought behind how it's formulated and how it's
          created/composed/performed. I find it more "thinky" than Western
          Music. I love that, but sometimes it's really frustrating, since
          several people I know would be willing to learn songs I would just
          give them music!

          I feel project #498 coming on... :)

          Well, pooh. Bookfinder didn't find anything, they recognize the
          title, but there's no booksellers just now.

          > Teja: Please understand,I don't always read a book from cover to
          cover. I tend to have an exact subject, item, or theory that I want
          confirmation on. (For instance: I decide I want a silk jama with
          block printed patterns. Then I go through books and pull reference to
          the item I am making. I won't read the complete book.)

          Oh certainly! I do the same thing! I'd go nuts if I read cover to
          cover. I usually note the main purpose, title of contents, and then
          delve in with the index or the table of contents to pull out what I
          want right then and there. I'd never have time to write or make
          anything otherwise!

          > > ----------------------
          > > Indian Block-Printed Textiles in Egypt: The Newberry
          > > Collection in the Ashmolean
          > > Museum, Oxford
          > > Ruth Barnes
          > > Published 1997
          > >

          > Teja: again Laughing! Yes it is expensive (like $700?), but I don't
          own this. I have a wonderful, wonderful library here in my home town
          who ILLed the book for me. These ladies will find anything I can
          prove exists.

          Sigh... my blindspot - I always assume others do things the way I
          do. :) I keep forgetting about the power of ILL, because I
          frequently don't have the time or patience to try it.

          For the record - Bookfinder found it for $999!!! But after goofing
          with the title, I found a few other copies for ~$550. What a steal.

          > Sadly, I only needed the book to get one little piece of
          documentation for an A&S project, so I blew off most of it.....and
          looked at the pretty pictures.
          > AAgghhhhh I know, I know...... you are saying "YOU WHAT?
          SACRILIG...WHERE"S THE ROPE" Sometimes I go into crave girl
          mode......get book find one item...look at pretty picture...take book
          back! But, that is what I have to do when I work full time, teach
          dance, and teach karate in the evenings. Then try to play SCA at a
          high level.

          I know the feeling. Actually have a stack of cheap-ass Indian music
          books that have come from the same phenomenon - see interesting book -
          -> must have. Even if it has very little use for my current area of
          interest. The really sad part was when I had compiled a huge pile of
          geeky Indian books on one side of my Queen sized bed, and slept other
          the side. Gradually the books creeped over, so I was sleeping in
          sort of a nest of books. Sort of cute, but kind of creepy. Sleeping
          with your research material is probably taking love of India a little
          too far!!

          -Lakshmi
        • Margaret Polson
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
            > I know the feeling. Actually have a stack of
            > cheap-ass Indian music
            > books that have come from the same phenomenon - see
            > interesting book -
            > -> must have. Even if it has very little use for my
            > current area of
            > interest. The really sad part was when I had
            > compiled a huge pile of
            > geeky Indian books on one side of my Queen sized
            > bed, and slept other
            > the side.

            LOL. I have to very carefully put all books from
            India on the upper shelves of my bookcases.
            Evidently, they smell really tasty to dogs. I came
            home and found my brand new book on Gujarat and the
            Portugues chewed out of its cover one day. Otherwise
            there would be a 3 foot deep pile around my bed.

            Meenakshi (who wishes she had time to read all her
            books)

            http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
          • ambertig@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
              ----------
              > Lakshmi:
              > What are your sources for the poses? I'm always fascinated by
              > statuary with lots of dance images! There's a lovely Shivite temple
              > down south with all the major positions displayed as statues - they
              > are even numbered in accordance with the Natya Shastra. But they are
              > weather-worn, and thus sometimes hard to discern specifics with. And
              > there's a few that my stiff knees and hips say "no way!!" to.

              Teja: My sources include, statues, miniature painting, wall paintings and text. All of which I have listed in my bibliography to date. Indian dance can be as elusive as Indian music theory ...lol
              I have several ways to approach documenting Indian Dance. Here is just one of them:
              I use a three step process.
              #1- find text stating a dance movement/pose
              #2- find a statue pose that is closest to resembling the text description
              #3- find a modern picture of an Indian dancer in this pose
              (Number three is only to compare how the body may look in the statuary position!)
              I have found that this is the most basic and easiest way for the beginning dance researcher to begin.
              Again this is very basic and would take me a day to write up a document on how I research and present a period Indian dance!

              (TIME/PLACE/VENUE) everyone repeat our new mantra!

              > As a side note, I've heard of exactly one dancer that has actually
              > studied these poses and done enough yoga to recreate them. I don't
              > remember the name, she almost came to the States years ago, but it
              was the week after 9-11 and things got wacky.

              Teja: LOL…..I can do quite a few poses myself. I have studied martial arts most of my adult life and am very flexible. (being only 5ft tall doesn’t hurt either) There are still a couple poses I can’t hit yet, but I am always working on them!;)

              ---------------------

              > Let me know if you get the names of period Kathak dance texts. While
              > my interest is mostly Southern, I've been collecting period dance
              > texts and would love to extend the collection Northwards.

              Teja: I have the names listed in a book in my bib! Just an ILL away!!!!!!!!
              (Lakshmi, I would love to discuss this with you more in depth, but not on the list!)

              ---------------------

              > I know the feeling. Actually have a stack of cheap-ass Indian music
              > books that have come from the same phenomenon - see interesting book -
              > -> must have. Even if it has very little use for my current area of
              > interest. The really sad part was when I had compiled a huge pile of
              > geeky Indian books on one side of my Queen sized bed, and slept other
              > the side. Gradually the books creeped over, so I was sleeping in
              > sort of a nest of books. Sort of cute, but kind of creepy. Sleeping
              > with your research material is probably taking love of
              > India a little
              > too far!!
              >
              > -Lakshmi

              Teja: Good Heavens Girl!!...LMAO I go to bed with a couple of books, but the whole library?.....You are indeed a true researcher! <Big Grin>

              I bow to the light within you!
              Teja