Re: [SCA_India] Re: persona story

  • Ascalaphus
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 3, 2001
      On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 beth@... wrote:

      > I know when I went to Indian temples they were all "Sri <definitive
      > temple name>". So that the temple to Vishnu Ranganatha became "Sri
      > Ranganatha". I suppose that doesn't help much. Holy Ranganatha and
      > Lord Ranganatha both make sense as the names for a site of a temple to
      > Vishnu Ranganatha. I've never heard it in association with a human
      > mode of address, though. But that just may mean I haven't been paying
      > enough attention. :)

      Hmmm...The first thing that pops to mind that makes me question 'Sri' as a
      title is 'Sri Lanka'.

      From the OTL
      (http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/indologie/tamil/otl_search.html):
      SRI 1. Laks2mi1; 2. wealth; 3. felicity; 4. beauth; 5. a title of respect
      prefixed to the names of deities, eminent persons, sacred place and thing

      I'm pretty sure the Tamil & Sanskrit words are identical.

      I also have only seen it used for a person when it's been applied to a
      religious figure (Sri Aurobindo and Sri Sathya Sai Baba are two of the
      first who come up in a google search)...almost like a pre-saintly title.

      But it's a tough call. Religion is wound so tightly into the language (and
      other aspects of Indian culture) that it's confusing to determine what
      would be appropriate for secular use.

      Bhairavi
    • Rob & Laurie Gage
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 3, 2001
        I also have only seen it used for a person when it's been applied to a
        religious figure (Sri Aurobindo and Sri Sathya Sai Baba are two of the
        first who come up in a google search)...almost like a pre-saintly title.

        just read "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda. one of his
        gurus has three 'Sri's before his name (Sri Sri Sri). he must have been
        something!