Indian greeting

  • ninthartemis <ninthartemis@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
      Hi. My name is April and I'm a SCA newbie. I'm starting to work on my
      persona and I've always been interested in the Indian culture so I
      thought this would be fun. I was wondering if anyone knew of
      authentic Indian greetings. I'm the only Middle Eastern persona in my
      shire, so I can't get any help from them. I've seen some things in
      movies, like "The 13th Warrior" but I didn't know if that was
      correct. If anyone could give me some information I would appreciate
      it. Thanks.
      -April
    • Margaret Polson
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
        Mangal!

        Welcome back! Hope life has calmed down for you.

        Meenakshi

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Lisa
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
          Welcome back, Mangal. It's good to have you back. :)

          --devamati

          Credo nonnullos hic mortuos esse.
          (I think some of the people here are dead.)
        • marcus findlay-arthur
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
            Greetings April,

            Welcome to the list.You should hook up with Lakshmi and everyone else
            here.I'm not too sure how busy the List has been since I just signed on
            after a move.A safe bet is 'namaste' in opening and sometimes in closing.

            Best,

            Mangal/Marcus

            On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 04:26 pm, ninthartemis
            <ninthartemis@...> wrote:

            > Hi. My name is April and I'm a SCA newbie. I'm starting to work on my
            > persona and I've always been interested in the Indian culture so I
            > thought this would be fun. I was wondering if anyone knew of
            > authentic Indian greetings. I'm the only Middle Eastern persona in my
            > shire, so I can't get any help from them. I've seen some things in
            > movies, like "The 13th Warrior" but I didn't know if that was
            > correct. If anyone could give me some information I would appreciate
            > it. Thanks.
            > -April
            >

            > SCA_India Mailing List Info:
            >                        or
            >   List owner:   SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com

          • bethlakshmi
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
              --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, "ninthartemis <ninthartemis@y...>"
              <ninthartemis@y...> wrote:
              > Hi. My name is April and I'm a SCA newbie. I'm starting to work on
              my
              > persona and I've always been interested in the Indian culture so I
              > thought this would be fun. I was wondering if anyone knew of
              > authentic Indian greetings. I'm the only Middle Eastern persona in
              my
              > shire, so I can't get any help from them. I've seen some things in
              > movies, like "The 13th Warrior" but I didn't know if that was
              > correct. If anyone could give me some information I would
              appreciate
              > it. Thanks.
              > -April

              Howdy there!

              I'm the long lost Lakshmi (I've been crazy buzy for a week and
              haven't managed to get over here much).

              If no one else answered your question... the most traditional and
              widely used greeting is "Namaste" which usually fills the gap for all
              sorts of things like hello, goodbye, greetings, blessings, etc. It's
              pronounced "Nahh-mahh-stay".

              Note - India is one of those places that is really it's own space.
              For the most part, India is not culturally akin to the Middle East.
              Some parts of the North get very similar, you definitely see a
              trading of information where people of the Indian subcontinent had
              contact with Middle Easterners. But geographically speaking, India
              is considered part of "South Asia" rather than "Middle East".

              On the "Hello" issue in particular - Indians use "Namaste", Middle
              Easterners have other greetings, "Salaam" being one of them.

              The "13th Warrior" shows a person from the Middle East visiting the
              Vikings, not an Indian. Nearly everything he does is more likely to
              be something you'll see in some part of the Middle East.

              I highly discourage using any movie for documentation, but if you
              want some inspiration on Indian culture, I highly recommend "Kama
              Sutra". It's still not 'really and truly how life was in India at
              that time (13th century Rajastan, I think??)' but at least the folks
              are doing Indian dance, wearing Indian clothes, with Indian jewelry,
              and doing stuff generally in an Indian sort of way. And Mira Nair
              (the producer) generally creates films that are fairly accessible to
              Westerners.

              -Lakshmi
            • ambertig@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10, 2003
                Translation:Namaste,namaskar: The traditional Hindu greeting, meaning "I bow to you in respect." The palms pressed together and head bowed as if in prayer!

                What a perfectly wonderful way to say hello to your freinds, don't you think?
                Tig