Sari picture

  • mlpolson <mlpolson@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
      OK, I just posted another picture showing those Deccanni sari. I
      made a folder called Meenakshi pictures, it is Lostysari.jpeg There
      is a third black and white one if anyone is interested. So, any
      thoughts on how these bad boys were wrapped?

      Meenakshi

      PS love the jewellery
    • bethlakshmi <beth@pir.net>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
        --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, "mlpolson <mlpolson@y...>"
        <mlpolson@y...> wrote:
        > OK, I just posted another picture showing those Deccanni sari. I
        > made a folder called Meenakshi pictures, it is Lostysari.jpeg There
        > is a third black and white one if anyone is interested. So, any
        > thoughts on how these bad boys were wrapped?
        >
        > Meenakshi
        >
        > PS love the jewellery

        Hmm... Those *are* curious!

        Having lightened the picture considerably (it came out quite dark on
        my screen), it looks like at least the two yellow ones and the blue
        one have some sort of short pleated tail hanging down in the front.

        The more I stare at it (I've been staring about 20 minutes! :) ), the
        more I think that the fancy, pleated hangy-downy bit is coming from
        the upper body wrap, being tucked back into the waist line, and left
        to trail down. This isn't so different from the way I was just
        taught to wrap a sari for a modern dance costume for Bharata Natyam
        (my teacher isn't so hot on sewn costumes...).

        My guess - wrap it like you would a nivi wrap, forming a skirt, and
        leaving off enough fabric to go over your chest, over your head, down
        the back, and then up to the waist, with a foot or so to spare.
        That's a lot more than the modern style, and you may need a longer
        sari. When you get the skirt wrap around to the front, pleat the end
        at the waistline, put it over your shoulder, and secure it with a
        belt - quite a few of the ladies seem to have some sort of belt on.
        Then do the draping over the opposite shoulder, over hte head, down
        the back, and pleat the end, and tuck it into the waist, with a foot
        or so trailing off from the waist.

        From the pictures, it looks like there's no one direction to wrap -
        you can have the end peice over either shoulder, though I bet it
        works best from hip to opposite shoulder, so if you wrap clockwise,
        it goes over your right shoulder, if you wrap counter clockwise -
        your left shoulder. But the ladies in this picture have their saris
        going over either shoulder. But most seem to have it starting in the
        front, going over the back, and then coming forward to tuck into the
        waist.

        Pretty darn cool! Thanks for sharing!

        -Lakshmi
      • Margaret Polson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
          > Hmm... Those *are* curious!
          >
          > Having lightened the picture considerably (it came
          > out quite dark on
          > my screen), it looks like at least the two yellow
          > ones and the blue
          > one have some sort of short pleated tail hanging
          > down in the front.

          I think that the "tail" is just one style of wearing
          the same wrap. I think it is what you do with that
          really long Pallu when you actually have to do
          something. If you look at the dark orange sari in
          center front, she has is drapped over her arm and the
          one in the light pink sari holding the curtain has the
          tail in her hand. In theory this is the same wrap
          (the deccanni style) as the other sari picture.

          > The more I stare at it (I've been staring about 20
          > minutes! :) ), the
          > more I think that the fancy, pleated hangy-downy bit
          > is coming from
          > the upper body wrap, being tucked back into the
          > waist line, and left
          > to trail down. This isn't so different from the way
          > I was just
          > taught to wrap a sari for a modern dance costume for
          > Bharata Natyam
          > (my teacher isn't so hot on sewn costumes...

          > My guess - wrap it like you would a nivi wrap,
          > forming a skirt, and
          > leaving off enough fabric to go over your chest,
          > over your head, down
          > the back, and then up to the waist, with a foot or
          > so to spare.
          > That's a lot more than the modern style, and you may
          > need a longer
          > sari.

          I was figuring you would need a 9 yard to do this.

          When you get the skirt wrap around to the
          > front, pleat the end
          > at the waistline, put it over your shoulder, and
          > secure it with a
          > belt - quite a few of the ladies seem to have some
          > sort of belt on.
          > Then do the draping over the opposite shoulder, over
          > hte head, down
          > the back, and pleat the end, and tuck it into the
          > waist, with a foot
          > or so trailing off from the waist.

          Urh, I am confused. Do you mean, put it over your
          shoulder while you put the belt on, or it goes over
          your shoulder twice?

          What is confusing me is the "double" drape over the
          hips, best seen in the light pink sari, or the dark
          organge in center front. Or the other sari picture
          for than matter.

          I see that look in many of the sewn Bharata Natyam
          "saris", but I have not figured out how to wrap it.
          (many of the modern dance outfits are cut up, sewn
          saris. I recently had someone bring me a picture of
          one of the more extream ones wanting to know how it
          was wrapped)

          >> Pretty darn cool! Thanks for sharing!

          There is another B&W picture from the same text in the
          book. I will post it after I get back from
          Grandparent visiting this weekend.

          Meenakshi

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • bethlakshmi <beth@pir.net>
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
            --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Polson <mlpolson@y...>
            wrote:

            > I was figuring you would need a 9 yard to do this.

            Yeah, definitely more than 6. But maybe even 8 would work... Not so
            sure about 7...

            > When you get the skirt wrap around to the
            > > front, pleat the end
            > > at the waistline, put it over your shoulder, and
            > > secure it with a
            > > belt - quite a few of the ladies seem to have some
            > > sort of belt on.
            > > Then do the draping over the opposite shoulder, over
            > > hte head, down
            > > the back, and pleat the end, and tuck it into the
            > > waist, with a foot
            > > or so trailing off from the waist.
            >
            > Urh, I am confused. Do you mean, put it over your
            > shoulder while you put the belt on, or it goes over
            > your shoulder twice?

            Just while putting the belt on. Then fuss with it going up and over
            your head and everything. It would go over the opposite shoulder
            only once, in my vision...

            > What is confusing me is the "double" drape over the
            > hips, best seen in the light pink sari, or the dark
            > organge in center front. Or the other sari picture
            > for than matter.

            You mean the diagonal lines, going from the center of the waist, to
            about knee height on the outside of the leg? My guess is that it
            comes from draping the pallav up over the shoulder and probably only
            happens on one side.

            Or else you go around your rear once before going up and over the
            shoulder, with the pleated pallav. But I've tried that for other
            draping imitation attempts, and it generally becomes really annoying
            about 5 seconds after you wrap it on. My guess is that perhaps the
            artist didn't realize the swag only happens on one side?

            > I see that look in many of the sewn Bharata Natyam
            > "saris", but I have not figured out how to wrap it.
            > (many of the modern dance outfits are cut up, sewn
            > saris. I recently had someone bring me a picture of
            > one of the more extream ones wanting to know how it
            > was wrapped)

            I know I've gotten one swag around my hips in the Vijayanagara style
            saris I've been goofing with. Like the one here:

            =Vijayanagara+Empire+drape.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%
            3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA_India/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.src=gr%
            26.view=t

            These don't have that look like it all comes together in the waist,
            but I think it could. I generally finish what I'm doing down below -
            skirt or pants wrap, and then take the pallav end, wrap it once,
            fairly tightly over my hips, and then up and over my shoulder and on
            to whatever I was gonna do with my upper body. With a belt I bet I
            could engineer it so it drooped in the back, but came up tightly in
            the front.

            I find it works best with really thin, flat saris. Minimum of
            brocade, usually cotton gauze or thin, thin silk. It also helps if I
            wash the sari like a billon times to get any stiffener or sizing out
            of it. Otherwise I look like the incredible hippo, since the fabric
            fluffs out and gives me a hip-wide bustle sort of effect. I'm kinda
            hippy anyway, I don't really need the help. :)

            > >> Pretty darn cool! Thanks for sharing!
            > >

            > There is another B&W picture from the same text in the
            > book. I will post it after I get back from
            > Grandparent visiting this weekend.

            Mmm... Grandparents. I will be paying the bills, organizing a
            recording of a dance song, transcribing it, and then hopefully
            learning a 16th century Italian violin solo. :O

            -Lakshmi
          • Margaret Polson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
              ..

              > > What is confusing me is the "double" drape over
              > the
              > > hips, best seen in the light pink sari, or the
              > dark
              > > organge in center front. Or the other sari
              > picture
              > > for than matter.
              > >
              > You mean the diagonal lines, going from the center
              > of the waist, to
              > about knee height on the outside of the leg? My
              > guess is that it
              > comes from draping the pallav up over the shoulder
              > and probably only
              > happens on one side.
              >
              > Or else you go around your rear once before going up
              > and over the
              > shoulder, with the pleated pallav. But I've tried
              > that for other
              > draping imitation attempts, and it generally becomes
              > really annoying
              > about 5 seconds after you wrap it on. My guess is
              > that perhaps the
              > artist didn't realize the swag only happens on one
              > side?

              > I know I've gotten one swag around my hips in the
              > Vijayanagara style
              > saris I've been goofing with. Like the one here:

              > These don't have that look like it all comes
              > together in the waist,
              > but I think it could. I generally finish what I'm
              > doing down below -
              > skirt or pants wrap, and then take the pallav end,
              > wrap it once,
              > fairly tightly over my hips, and then up and over my
              > shoulder and on
              > to whatever I was gonna do with my upper body. With
              > a belt I bet I
              > could engineer it so it drooped in the back, but
              > came up tightly in
              > the front.
              >
              > I find it works best with really thin, flat saris.
              > Minimum of
              > brocade, usually cotton gauze or thin, thin silk.
              > It also helps if I
              > wash the sari like a billon times to get any
              > stiffener or sizing out
              > of it. Otherwise I look like the incredible hippo,
              > since the fabric
              > fluffs out and gives me a hip-wide bustle sort of
              > effect. I'm kinda
              > hippy anyway, I don't really need the help. :)

              Ah yes, diaper butt is what I call the look.

              My sister in law thinks she remembers that
              wrapped-meeting in front look from the south when she
              was little. We are going to send the picture to her
              mom and see if she has ideas.

              > Mmm... Grandparents. I will be paying the bills,
              > organizing a
              > recording of a dance song, transcribing it, and then
              > hopefully
              > learning a 16th century Italian violin solo. :O

              Sounds like fun, but you really need to stop making
              the rest of us look lazy.

              Meenakshi

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com