Re: Yellow + Dye Book

  • bethlakshmi
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2002
      --- In SCA_India@y..., "Munson,Jennifer N." <munsonjn@a...> wrote:

      > > Message: 2
      > > Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:21:41 -0600
      > > From: Jim and Andi <icbhod@c...>
      > > Subject: RE: Digest Number 504
      > >
      > > Saffron isn't a fast yellow?
      >
      > I was always under the impression that it was, and last time I
      looked at my samples, the 3-year-old saffron samples still had good
      color.

      > AnneLiese
      >
      > +

      Out of curiosity, have you tried washing it?

      AnneLiese would know better than I, but I was under the impression
      that the folks who know better than I were going back and forth on
      whether saffron was used for Indian dye color...

      Also, on the topic of dying, "Master Dyers to the World" by
      Matiebelle Gittinger -- absolutely FABULOUS! I brought it with me
      for the flight to visit my dad for Thanksgiving, and Oh Boy!!! I
      hadn't really gotten a chance to look closely at it before - always
      too busy and too tired this month. It has a ton of great samples of
      Fustat textiles, with approximate dates, and the subtext often
      justifies how they came up with these dates. The samples are a mix
      of general abstracts and florals that I've seen alot of places, plus
      some unique designs of people, animals, and other complex patterns.
      I'm not sure I agree with all of the analysis on the process - the
      materials sound right, but sometimes the process she describes makes
      no sense.

      Then there's a fabulous analysis (and set of pictures) for a early
      17th century wall hanging. It's a 7 hanging set of painted figures
      on cloth, with a mix of different cultures and garb. It seems to be
      a set of pictures of all the weird folks that had come the court of
      the king who commissioned them (they haven't figured out the precise
      location of origin - beyond India). There's Portuguese traders, Arab
      costumes, what looks like other SE Asian cultures, and some
      interesting "tribal" folks wearing practically only leaves. It seems
      there are some fallacies in the structure of the garb of some of the
      foreigners (the Europeans seem to be wearing collars but not coats,
      and some of the head gear doesn't seem to be well-rendered), but its
      an interesting look at all the cultures who had contact with India,
      and probably pretty neat for our semi-European bretheren, like
      Meenakshi, Madinia and Swarna (who is Rosa in another incarnation) or
      our semi-Persian bretheren like Roxana.

      It totally has me drooling and wishing I had the knowledge and the
      talent to make some of these...