Indian Embassy...

  • bethlakshmi
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
      Well, I promised on more info when I had it...

      A couple times now I've posted about this wacky thing my home
      Barony in Boston, MA is doing, called Crossroads Faire. I've
      volunteered to run the Indian Embassy for this big event, and rather
      than bore you all with the details of the concept, I'll point you
      here:

      http://www.mixolydian.org/xrf/indian/

      where there's a happy little welcome message from me (twice) talking
      about what we're up to over here.

      Right now, I'm writing with more information for those that are
      interested. We now have an email list, kindly set up by the event's
      autocrat, for each embassy. I'd like to invite any of you who are
      interested to join in on the fun. The aim of the list is highly
      focused - make plans and arrangements for this event in March, but I
      don't see a reason to limit it to folks in the Boston area. Any of
      you are welcome to come and visit here - with possible crash space at
      my place (contact me offline). And if your life is such that travel
      in March isn't do able, I'd still be eager to hear any ideas you
      might have on the technical details as we go along. Besides, it
      seems like it might be a worthwhile forum for developing ideas for
      this sort of event in general, that maybe other people will find
      useful for other locations in the future...

      And, for the rest of you who aren't interested - this is probably the
      last post the topic for a while. I'll probably send another ping or
      two out as proganda when I have something to advertise, but I'm
      taking any other discussions off to the new list, so...

      To subscribe, send email to

      LISTSERV@...

      with the following line in the **BODY** of the message (not the
      subject line).

      subscribe x-indian <real name>

      where "<real name>" is a two word name. No, it doesn't have to be
      your legal name. It can certainly be an SCA name, and it doesn't
      have to be the name attached to your email - although you do have to
      mail from the mail account you are registering. There's other ways
      to register, but they are a pain in the tucus, and I'm not the admin,
      so if we can avoid it, that'd be great.

      The link I posted above is the HTML archives on a local SCAdians
      webserver (mixolydian being an esoteric musical mode used in European
      medieval music). Since it's an unsecured site, any of you are
      welcome to browse at at any time. Also, since it's an unsecured
      site, the host has taken pains to make sure that the archiving system
      does NOT include the email addresses of the people posting to it.
      That means:
      - A - we are all somewhat safer from spammers! yay!
      - B - anyone reading the post online can *not* mail you back by
      grabbing your address from the "From:" feild. Those on the list
      *can* get addresses, since individual emails are also sent to our
      email boxes - but it's something to remember about the website - no
      emails shown.

      If you (for some reason unknown to me) want to register with a <real
      name> and have a different name appear in the From feild of the
      online archives, you can mail the archive administrator at:

      amanuensis-admin@...

      with three things - the name of the list (x-indian), the name you are
      registered under (<real name>) and the name you want to be. Go easy
      on the lady, she's nice, she's competent and she has a bunch of lists
      archiving away on her site, since all of the 10 or so embassies for
      this event have lists.

      Also, this email list is on a server that is powered by underfed,
      apathetic gerbils. It tooks about 10 hours for me to get my first
      error message back from the list. So give it a day if it doesn't get
      back to you. It also has an admin, who is not me, because I'm not an
      MIT person, who has to approve it - so give that process some time,
      too, the admin is the autocrat, and a full-time student.

      As for Nettiquette - you guys all know it - I agree with everything
      Bhairavi's put on our Home section, let's keep it the same. With
      additional caveat - this is a list about a single event. If we get
      too wildly off tangent, I *will* yank us back at the topic. If we
      want a big large chat on a subject, this list here is a much better
      place for it.

      And last, but not least.... somebody sign up!! it's boring talking
      to myself!! :)

      -Lakshmi
    • Jim and Andi
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
        Are you going to have an altar? Your persona is Shaivite, right? I saw a
        picture of an altar that would be easy to recreate, if you're interested.
        And the symbolism is a little more obscure so it won't offend the "no
        religion in the SCA" folks.

        Madhavi
      • bethlakshmi
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
          --- In SCA_India@y..., Jim and Andi <icbhod@c...> wrote:
          > Are you going to have an altar? Your persona is Shaivite, right? I
          saw a
          > picture of an altar that would be easy to recreate, if you're
          interested.
          > And the symbolism is a little more obscure so it won't offend
          the "no
          > religion in the SCA" folks.
          >
          > Madhavi

          Actually I'm Vishnaivite... Bhairavi's Shaivite...

          I prefer Vishnu Ragnatha... which is too bad since lingum are so
          common, so primitive, so documentable and SO VERY EASY TO
          SCULPT!!! :) Especially compared to a massive sculpture of Vishnu
          lying down, supported by a serpent, shaded by multiple cobra heads,
          with Brahma sitting on a lotus growing out of his navel! Phew!
          Gives me heartburn just thinking about it!

          But, no, I'm avoiding an altar for the "no religion in the SCA"
          reason. I want to emphasize temples as a socio-political-economic
          entity, and I fear that if I get close to altars, even shrouded in
          obscurity, I'll undermine that. Plus I can't figure having a bunch
          of craftsmen and performers hanging out in the actual sacred space of
          the inner sanctum of a temple. Much less inviting the "foreigners"
          we'll be hosting to visit our "embassy" into that kind of space.
          Everything I come up with suggests craftsmen and performers would be
          hanging out in the courtyard - away from the priests, and avoiding
          the risks of defiling the sacred space.

          <grumping zone> Which is just sucky, since I have TONS of info on the
          practical construction and theological significance of inner sactum
          architecture - its proportions, its significance, the divergence from
          theory in actual practice, a billion pictures of various temples from
          all possible angles. But did anyone seem to give two figs about the
          courtyard - describing it, mapping it, snapping some pictures?
          nooOOooo! It's always a sideline to the temple, and none of the
          current scholars seem to take much note. :{ </grumping zone>

          But wouldn't mind seeing the picture (after all that!), I'm quite
          interested in all parts of a temple myself, and may someday want to
          do something privately that is more religion oriented.

          -Lakshmi
        • Jim and Andi
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
            I'll try to find it again, I think it's on the hard drive somewhere... It
            was of a yoni/lingam about 3 feet across and tall, with a pot suspended
            above it filled with water. The pot must have been of unglazed terracotta
            because water dripped continuously onto the yoni/lingam. What was really
            neat is that the dripping water also fed all this tall grass growing all
            over the place! It was an outdoor altar under a carved stone portico. There
            were also the requisite flower garlands everywhere. The picture didn't say
            where it was taken, but I think it was south India somewhere... the people
            were very dark-skinned and wearing white saris and light colored cholis. It
            was *extremely cool*.

            Madhavi

            > Are you going to have an altar? Your persona is Shaivite, right? I
            saw a
            > picture of an altar that would be easy to recreate, if you're
            interested.
            > And the symbolism is a little more obscure so it won't offend
            the "no
            > religion in the SCA" folks.
            >
            > Madhavi

            Actually I'm Vishnaivite... Bhairavi's Shaivite...

            I prefer Vishnu Ragnatha... which is too bad since lingum are so
            common, so primitive, so documentable and SO VERY EASY TO
            SCULPT!!! :) Especially compared to a massive sculpture of Vishnu
            lying down, supported by a serpent, shaded by multiple cobra heads,
            with Brahma sitting on a lotus growing out of his navel! Phew!
            Gives me heartburn just thinking about it!

            But, no, I'm avoiding an altar for the "no religion in the SCA"
            reason. I want to emphasize temples as a socio-political-economic
            entity, and I fear that if I get close to altars, even shrouded in
            obscurity, I'll undermine that. Plus I can't figure having a bunch
            of craftsmen and performers hanging out in the actual sacred space of
            the inner sanctum of a temple. Much less inviting the "foreigners"
            we'll be hosting to visit our "embassy" into that kind of space.
            Everything I come up with suggests craftsmen and performers would be
            hanging out in the courtyard - away from the priests, and avoiding
            the risks of defiling the sacred space.

            <grumping zone> Which is just sucky, since I have TONS of info on the
            practical construction and theological significance of inner sactum
            architecture - its proportions, its significance, the divergence from
            theory in actual practice, a billion pictures of various temples from
            all possible angles. But did anyone seem to give two figs about the
            courtyard - describing it, mapping it, snapping some pictures?
            nooOOooo! It's always a sideline to the temple, and none of the
            current scholars seem to take much note. :{ </grumping zone>

            But wouldn't mind seeing the picture (after all that!), I'm quite
            interested in all parts of a temple myself, and may someday want to
            do something privately that is more religion oriented.

            -Lakshmi

            SCA_India Mailing List Info:
            or
            List owner: SCA_India-owner@yahoogroups.com