Pennsic 42

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2013
      Safely returned from Pennsic. Good war but I failed to connect with any
      others on the list. Will try again next year.

      And No, I didn't wear the towel on my head. :)

      Narhari
      aka Charles Philippe Castelmore
    • Jennifer Munson
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2013
        Glad to hear Narhari returned home safely, as did we!

        The Indian Soiree turned out to be the perfect size for the space allocated in the camp. I really enjoyed putting more names to faces, and listening to people give the stories of how they arrived in India from other parts of the Knowne World.

        Everyone was so helpful - I'm grateful to other Wycked Wyvern campers for allowing us to take over the space for an evening. I am also very proud of my and "Magdalena-devi"'s children for their assistance to making each person welcome with a foot-washing as they came in. And thankful for the wonderful food contributions that came in from attendees. I think the first to go were Flori's Indian sweets and Antoinette's chocolate-covered Aussie sweets (go figure!).

        I hope those still at Pennsic have an uneventful trip home!

        - Ariyanangai

        On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Charles <cavalier@...> wrote:

        Safely returned from Pennsic. Good war but I failed to connect with any
        others on the list. Will try again next year.

        And No, I didn't wear the towel on my head. :)

        Narhari
        aka Charles Philippe Castelmore

      • Cynthia Hooper
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2013

          Family de Caro arrived safely back in Medina OH just a few hours ago.  The meet-up was one of my highlights -- how wonderful to put faces to names!  Thank you to Ariyanangai for hosting, thank you to Flori for playing sariwallah, thank you to all those who came and hung out, ate sweets, drank chai and chatted the evening away.

          Take care, and see you next year  :)

          Stanzi

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013

            I wanted to say thank you for Ariyanangai for hosting such a lovely gathering at Pennsic.
            It was great to meet other Indian folk and get ideas from around the known world.
            A special thank you to everyone that was willing to be photographed for the lass in New South Wales who's interested in an Indian persona.

            It was lovely to meet you all!

            -Ant
            Lochac

            On 17/07/2013 4:33 AM, Jennifer Munson wrote:
            We've picked a date... I hope it suits most of you who were interested in attending!

            Who: Any Indian personae or people interested in India attending Pennsic
            When: Monday July 29th, 7PM
            Where: Wycked Wyvern, E02 (on the Low Rd between Chandler's and Sedalia's Way)

            We'll have a small number of snacks and drinks available... all contributions are welcome. The camp is small-ish, so we're not expecting this to be a big party... more a low-key hang out.

            Email me off-list if you'd like my cell number.

            - Ariyanangai

          • Richard Harper
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 7, 2013
              I had already left a note to Mokan on another social group, but let me please also offer my thanks to Ariyanangai and their camp for the delightful soiree.  It was wonderful to meet with so many beautifully dressed attendees, enjoy drinks and sweets and chat about all and sundry.

              Thanks also again to the lovely Flori and her kindness in bringing the beautiful saris from India!

              I hope that this event will become a Pennsic staple; also, perhaps, at other events?  Not to say that these kind folks must host every year; I would be happy to do so in the future.

              Henry (no Mughal name as of yet...)

            • Jim and Andi Houston
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 7, 2013

                There is almost always an Indian social of some kind at Gulf Wars!

                Madhavi

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 8, 2013
                  Thanks Antoinette and Henry!

                  There are quite a few variables in the camp being able to host an Indian Soiree every year, but the camp said they will consider it a possibility. We'll have to see how things are lining up a couple of months before Pennsic.

                  - Ariyanangai
                • Robin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 8, 2013
                    I did learn this year to participate in everything that I can. The regret for missing this gathering is just gnawing. To talk about the exquisite textiles (part of what sucked me into this rabbit hole), and bling (only recently decided that more, more, more is better), of course cholis, and ask where people get those lovely silk/paper jasmine buds. And drapes. Did you all talk about drapes? I found I mostly kept defaulting to my usual (Bengali) with the occasional foray into Gujarati. I wore more drapes in the three days of NRWC than I did all of Pennsic. Of course, I also intended to bring a bunch of fresh mixed henna to doodle on each other with.

                    I expect folks got Melinda's notice that the 2013 sarees are in sarishop.com? I have three earmarked but don't know if they'll still be around when I'll be sufficiently fiscally recovered from Pennsic to buy one or all.

                    Henna

                    On 08/08/13, Jennifer Munson wrote:

                    Thanks Antoinette and Henry!

                    There are quite a few variables in the camp being able to host an Indian Soiree every year, but the camp said they will consider it a possibility. We'll have to see how things are lining up a couple of months before Pennsic.

                    - Ariyanangai
                  • urtatim_alqurtubiyya
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 8, 2013
                      I want to thank the community for allowing me as a Persian to attend the party. And especial thanks also to our camp hosts. It was lovely.

                      I had a most enjoyable time. I so much prefer a gathering where people can talk and share with each other in an intimate and personal way. I vastly prefer this to parties i see more commonly with masses of alcohol, very loud voices, alcohol drinking games, etc. Thank you all so much!

                      Also my profuse thanks to Flori for my sari - and for going to all that work to get them for everyone who asked - and for the packet of tejpat leaves.

                      Now if i can just find white asafoetida leaves somewhere...

                      Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)
                      at home on the web at Dar Anahita
                      http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah
                    • Jennifer Munson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 8, 2013
                        Hi Henna!

                        I got my hair flowers at a dance supply place... will have to dig up the URL, but it was one recommended on this list in the past. We didn't really talk drapes too much... I think we were more sucked into persona stories and where our India interests came from.

                        I try to do Southern drapes to go with my persona (even though they're probably mostly much later), and settled on a Tamil non-Brahmin drape that starts with a Pinkosu this year. I find that wearing the same drape with a couple of different saris a couple of days in a row at Pennsic will ingrain it in your head and teach you much more about living in a sari than trying to learn a lot of drapes.

                        Allison and Antoinette, I know both of you took pictures... do you have an album that can be shared with this list? Would anyone who attended the party object?

                        - Ariyanangai

                        On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Robin <countessinn@...> wrote:

[...]

                      • Beth
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 8, 2013
                          Jealous of all of you that I was nearby but couldn't be there!

                          Ah well.  I'm glad everyone had fun! :)  I'm so happy the community is thriving!

                          For hair flowers - FYI - I used to recommend "that online place" - which I don't have an easy link to, haven't used them in years... but these days, I actually would recommend fabric fake flowers.  If you google "Bharata Natyam hair flowers" you'll get a ton of links.

                          The flowers I found to be really great were cheap fabric, cut into a petal shape, and rolled into a circle then stuck through the center with thread - much like stringing popcorn for a Christmas tree.  The string of many, many petal tubes is then tied off at each end with a thicker thread.  The petals are intentionally not lined up, as they go they make a wreath like shape. I bought two sets in India for crazy cheap, and you can get them online for not too bad - but shipping might be awful.

                          My thought is - you could easily make this out of any reasonably cheap, right colored, reasonably stiff, light fabric.  I'd even shop for sales on cotton or cotton/synth blend and then just starch it with serious starch.  Depending on shipping of the dance sets, it could be cheaper and it's not a highly difficult project.

                          It's remarkably durable, packs well, and is much more water resistant than it's paper counterpart... although those paper jasmine buds proved to be impressively durable, as well... given how destructive I am.

                          -Lakshmi