Greetings!

  • Loopy
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 10:58 AM
      Greetings!

      I am Govindi and I live in the Barony of the Rhydderich Hael, Aethelmearc. I have been having great difficulties learning about Indian history here in Aethelmearc and I currently trying to find good sources for a surname. I have been told that I do not have to have a surname but to register it I do. So I would like to find one that suits me.

      I am interested in learning all I can about India. I would like to start out with information that, once I learn it, I can teach to others at demos or new members. Such as, names, heraldry and garb. In the future move on to more like language, religion and art.

      My persona that I would like to learn more about is Govindi who is Punjabi Sikh from 1550. I do have a Gurdwara nearby that I have attended a couple of times but many do not speak English even enough to ask them who would know their history or where I could go.

      As you can see I am happy to learn alot. I will most certainly looking through the archives!

      tànvād,

      Govindi
    • Margaret Polson
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4 1:33 PM
        Although I don't know about Sikh practices in period, for quite some time all (or almost all) Sikh's have the same last name, Singh for men and Kaur for women.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh_names

        I don't know when that naming practice started however.  Sikhism is only just barely period as I remember.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh

        Meenakshi

[...]

        tànv&#257;d,

        Govindi

      • Colleen Coil
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 6:21 PM
          Meenakshi,

          The names Singh (lion) and Kaur (princess) were not used be Sikhs until the 10th guru,Guru Gobind Singh in 1699, after our period. Sikhism itself started in the year 1469 with the birth of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Kaur was my first choice until I learned this bit of information.  I am happy to have finally found others that I can converse with and learn from.

          Govindi

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5 3:42 AM

            You don't need a surname, per se, you just need at least two name elements.  This could be a nickname or even a locative.  "X of Y" should be sufficient to fulfill the role.

            -Ii

            On Apr 3, 2013 3:42 PM, "Loopy" <attractedbyshinyobjects@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Jim and Andi Houston
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5 12:14 PM

              Govindi,

              Greetings! I can highly recommend the book The Sikhs by Patwant Singh. AFAIK, it’s one of the few “western” books actually written by a practicing Sikh and I found it absolutely fascinating.

              Madhavi