Miniature Painting

  • Carrie Newton
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
      Is there anybody on this list or knows someone who has researched the art of miniature painting in India? I'm looking for any and all resources to study this art form. I've been wanting to learn the process for a while now but have no real leads. I'm also not limiting my interest in India as Persian and other Eastern miniatures would be interesting to learn about.

      Thank you in advance!
      Maya Ekkadi
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
        I've studied and taught this a little. (there was an Indian guy at work who I never could convince that I painted the "mughal" paintings on my screen saver!) I am conversant with Persian and Mughal painting, but I don't know anything about the other Indian regional styles. I can give you a bibliography & materials list on Monday.

        Rashid

        --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, "Carrie Newton" <herpsandchirps@...> wrote:

        > Is there anybody on this list or knows someone who has researched the art of miniature painting in India? I'm looking for any and all resources to study this art form. I've been wanting to learn the process for a while now but have no real leads. I'm also not limiting my interest in India as Persian and other Eastern miniatures would be interesting to learn about.
        >
        > Thank you in advance!
        > Maya Ekkadi

      • Charles
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 26, 2013
          These are books from my library I have found most useful. I don't know which are still in print, or current prices.

          SMALL BOOKS:

          Persian Painting by Sheila R Canby
          A good survey, mostly concentrates on our period, and has a chapter on tools and techniques.

          Mughal Miniatures by J M Rogers
          A good survey, mostly concentrates on our period, and has a chapter on tools and techniques. Not surprising since it is in the same series as Canby's book.

          Persian Painting by Stuart Cary Welch
          Welch is probably the current expert! Good details and close-ups of paintings from 5 Persian royal manuscripts all done in the most vibrant and lively style of this period.

          The Emporer Akbar's Khamsa of Nizami by Barbara Brend
          Very period, very Mughal!

          Anvari's DIvan, A Pocket Book for Akbar by Annemarie Schimmel and Stuart Cary Welch
          In depth analysis of a very charming manuscript with lots of scenes of nature and wildlife.

          Early Mughal Painting by Milo Cleveland Beach
          Black and WHite repros... WTF??? gives historical context and analysis of compositional techniques, et.

          LARGE FORMAT PAPERBACKS

          From Mind, Heart and Hand, Persian, Turkish and Indian Drawings From the Stuart Cary WeLch Collection by S C Welch and Kimberly Masteller
          A lot of post-period material, but it's interesting to see these brush or pen drawings which can be a bit livelier than the paintings, and also allows you to grasp how important the use of calligraphic (thick and thin) stroke is in the painting of this period.

          KIng of the World - The Padshanameh by Milo Cleveland Beach and Emma Koch
          Slightly post period, but insane artistry and detail, the ultimate flowering of the Mughal Manuscript.

          Persian Painting by Basil Gray
          Primarily useful because it has chapters on Il-Khanid, TImurid and Shirazi styles of Persian painting which can be a good place to start since they don't require the same degree of overwhelming technical mastery you need for later period Persian and Mughal painting.

          LARGE HARDBACKS

          India - Art and Culture 1300 - 1900 by Stuart Cary Welch
          mot all of this is period,and it's not all painting, but does have some info on Indian styles of painting other than Mughal.

          The Emperor's Album Images of Mughal India Welch, Schimmel, Sweitochowski and Thackson
          B & W & Color Discusses borders, calligraphy, album assembly, nice pics of carpet pages and illuminated borders on calligraphic pages. Pics of animals.

          MODERN PAINTING TECHNIQUE

          Gouche For Illustration by Rob Howard
          this is how I learned the techniques for using gouache (opaque watercolors)

          Rashid
        • Charles
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 26, 2013
            Materials List For Miniature Painting

            You may have to go to a real art store like Blick or Pearl for some of these items. I don't think you can find all of this stuff at a craft store unless you are very lucky.

            PAPER
            I use acid free Bristol board. It is a smooth thick cardstock–type paper.
            You must use a paper that is thick enough not to buckle when wet. Unlike in modern watercolor techniques, you DO NOT want to use a paper with a rough texture, or any texture at all.
            The paper used in period was sized and polished for a smooth texture.

            PAINT
            I use gouache in tubes. I believe this is what most SCA illuminators use. They are fairly expensive. You can get them in starter kits of small tubes to start out. You can also get them in starter kits in small cakes of paint, but make sure you are getting gouache not watercolor.

            PALETTES and MIXING TRAYS
            You can get these in metal, plastic or porcelain. I prefer the porcelain mixing wells because the paint tends to bead up on plastic and is harder to mix. The trays or palettes with many small wells are better because they keep the colors separated.

            BRUSHES
            This is probably your most important tool. For the most part you will want to get high quality natural sable bristle artist's brushes, though high quality taklon synthetics also work. You want round watercolor brushes that come to a point. You do not really need flat, filbert, fan or odd shapes except a few very fine "liner" brushes" that can be found in the crafts or tole painting section. You will need a selection of very small brushes, at least as fine as 00, and up to 10 0 if you can find any. If at all possible you want the fine ones to be standard watercolor brushes, not "Spotters" which don't hold enough paint. A liner brush in size 00 or the smallest size you can find will also be useful.

            What you are really trying to find is a brush that comes to a fine point, but lets you widen the stroke if needed, and that holds enough paint to draw a nice line with, not just dab on a spot.

            Keep in mind that moths will eat natural bristle, so they should be stored in an airtight box or tin when completely dry.

            PENCILS
            You will need some medium-hard pencils to draw before you paint. The goal is to find a pencil that is hard enough to leave a faint, fine line without smearing, but not so hard that you have to indent the surface of the paper to leave a mark. This will vary with the type of paper you use.

            GROUND CHARCOAL and PARCHMENT
            This would be for an advanced technique… if you wanted to make a stencil and use charcoal to mark your paper by pouncing charcoal dust through pin-pricks in parchment paper. This allows you to design you composition on a piece of fake parchment and then transfer it to your actual manuscript without having to erase or change on the finished version.