Nine Yard Saris on Sale!

  • Jim and Andi Houston
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012

      Hey everyone,

      Nine yard saris are on sale at Sari Safari!

      *ducks to avoid being trampled*

      Madhavi

    • Beth
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2012
        And they are nice and simple and easy to pass as period.

        Also, I see they have kalamkari printed saris - which are real block prints, made the same way as the documentable textiles we have from Egypt and SE Asia.  The patterns vary from sari to sari, and can be more or less period - there's not a one in there that I would call *wildly* OOP, but there's not a one there that I would call a Perfect Recreation - we just don't have enough breadth of examples to go getting too absolute about it... but the process is pretty much the same as it would have been back then, the colors are doable with what I know for period printing capabilities, and they are yummy and comfy.  I have some shawls done this way, but haven't seen her offer whole saris before.

        I am trying really, really hard not to buy any of these as there's a number of saris here at reasonable prices, but I can't justify it when I'm not all that active these days and my sari stash is already overflowing. ;)

        -Lakshmi

        On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Jim and Andi Houston <jimandandi@...> wrote:

        Hey everyone,

        Nine yard saris are on sale at Sari Safari!

        *ducks to avoid being trampled*

        Madhavi

      • Elewyiss SCA
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2012
          Have you thought of thinning the herd? Perhaps giving some of the sari's you no longer wear to newbies or friends or what not and getting replacements? Or you know, it is the winter holiday of giving season. Gift  yourself.

          Tevi

          --
          Ro'ah Chatulim
        • Beth
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2012
            Umm... thanks for the thought - I've actually been asked that one before.

            I actually do a number of things with saris when I realize that there is no hope I will ever wear them as saris again:
             - Many have been recycled into curtains, new garments (sewn) and bits of other craft projects - particularly when they are too worn, stained or damaged to be useful to anyone as an actual garment.

             - Other saris in the "I'm not ever going to wear this again" pile are there because they are either very uncomfortable to wear in an active SCA context (too sheer, too slippery, too fragile) or wildly modern (hey, we all make mistakes...) - Thus I haven't managed to love them to death.  I've actually wrestled with what to do with these, because I don't like the idea of "gifting" someone with something I deemed too awful to keep.  My definition of a gift is "something you wish you could keep for yourself".  I usually either save these for modern dance costuming (greatly helping my own dance costume budget) or give them away for similar purposes, since I know a great number of poor belly dancers and burlesque dancers with slim costuming budgets.  In fact, I don't know any rich dancers. :)

            I actually do keep a stash of very period saris that I found for a steal - not a lot but when I see a super cheap option I grab it - and I do give them out in person when I can to people in the SCA who have done something impressive and Indian (ish) that rocked my world.  That way I can give the gift and a bit of knowledge that gives the gift  more value than it's dollar amount as not that many people are as nutty about textiles as me (and they are all on this list!!), so having some guidance from a smart shopper is something most recipients seem to value as much as the gift itself.

            Having cleaned out about 2 years back, I eventually ended with a repository that was a mix of my go-to saris (you know, like a favorite pair of perfect blue jeans...they  make my butt look good while being super comfy), high price saris, super-duper-awesome-research saris, and too sentimental to discard saris.  Through a problematic relationship with physics I managed to jam all of those into two trunks.  I believe I may have created an anti-matter field in there... but they all fit.

            So.. these days I'm loathe to, as you say, "thin the herd" as I know what I'm up against. :)  Particularly when the driver is simply to spend money I don't necessarily need to spend.

            -Lakshmi