Childrens' clothing

  • dragonwort
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2012
      I have searching the archives for information on this, but found very little so I would like to bring the topic up again. Specifically because I have a 9 year-old female friend who needs some garb that would be good for the summer.

      As far as I can tell from the archives, a skirt and choli would be appropriate with a bit of fabric for her to play with and drape. Am I correct in this? Her mother and father would like her belly not to show, so I will be adding a apron if I do make a choli for her.

      I know that tunic and pants are an option, salwar kameez, but I was wondering what the other options are.

      Thank you in advance for information,
      Colette the Seamstress
    • Lisa Emery
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2012
        that's a good question, i have a 5 yr old that wants to do indian

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2012
          I've made a couple of cholis for my daughter (now 8). The apron front is a good idea regardless of concerns about modesty because it keeps her slightly warmer (even on a hot day my daughter can claim to be cold at the slightest breeze). Plus, without any breasts to hold it down, the whole choli may just go up when she raises her arms, so you avoid that issue altogether with an apron front.

          The Ariyanangais_Choli.doc in the Files section in the "Ariyanangai's Super-Easy Choli" pattern is adaptable for children, and the photos in the folder "Ariyananagi's Choli" show my daughter (at age 7) in her Brown Apron-Front Choli:

          Skirts are good and easy. Either a simple tube or a fancier gored skirt will work just fine.

          Or you can take almost any piece of not-too-wide fabric and wrap it to look like pants on a kid. In the Brown Apron-Front Choli pictures, my daughter is wearing a large rectangular dance scarf for her bottom half.  If you know how to wrap a fish-tail sari, you can essentially leave the tail part off and shove both ends inside in front instead. If you don't know how to wrap a fish-tail sari, you make something up. Start with her holding the middle of the fabric in the middle of her lower back. Bring the upper selvedges of the fabric around and make a knot in front. Then have her stand with her legs apart and grab the fabric that's in the middle. Pull as much of it forward and stuff it in front over the knot. That covers the essentials ( you will, of course, need to re-do this for the child after bathroom visits. She won't need to un-do the knot when she goes, just the tucks.) Then, as long as the remaining fabric isn't ridiculously long, pleat the ends and shove them into the waistline. Spread the pleats out and tuck excess fabric so it looks somewhat intentional, and then instruct the child to run around. If it doesn't trip them or fall off within 15 mins, you've figured it out.

          I originally started wrapping my kids' bottoms that way when they were really tiny, as a diaper cover with a tunic on top for SCA wear. I could un-tuck and re-tuck  for diaper changes faster than I could do snaps on their modern clothes. It works for boys as well.

          Good Luck!

          Ariyanangai