Re: Indian Dance

  • Yvonne
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2011
      OK, I'm glad someone mentioned dance. Sorry for the late notice, but
      the Triveni School of Dance in Brookline MA is having a dance recital
      at Kresge Auditorium MIT Cambridge MA at 1PM. I saw a short performace
      of theirs in Boston and they looked fairly authentic, I didn't see any
      Bollywood influence.

      YvonneD in Boston
    • Beth
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2011
        Just an FYI - cause I actually know Triveni and studied with them extremely briefly.

        Yep - Neena Gulati - the founder - is 100% Bharata Natyam trained.

        Her school of dance comes from this:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandanallur_style

        She's got the biggest school in Boston, for sure, and she's fairly well-known around these parts.  From experience in that particular recital, I would expect it is fairly long with a LOT of students and a lot of pieces.  If you are looking for a full sampling of dance numbers, you'll definitely get it - I seem to remember the one I was in was about 3 hours long.

        Kresge's a great theater too - as a performer it's totally drool-worthy, with great lighting and wings and backstage space.  Yeah, I probably spend too much time in theaters. :)

        I have a personal bias to my teacher - Aparna Sindhoor - www.navarasa.org - but that's just me.  Admittedly, the work you'll see on stage from Aparna is very innovative and not at all traditional.  Unless you come to one of our student shows, where we show some wonderful super-traditional stuff along with Bollywood which is pretty clearly annotated as Bollywood. :)

        If you're interested, I'll let you know the next time we have a student show - they are free.

        -Lakshmi