Re: Importing Kamala and Cochineal

  • bethlakshmibetty
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
      I keep tiptoeing around natural dyeing, but never actually manage to get a project going. :)

      So I don't have hands on knowledge, but I've gotten strong recommendations for:

      http://www.earthguild.com/products/dyes/dyenat.htm

      But it's been too many years since I poked this... so my info may be out of date.

      -Lakshmi

      --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, Natalya DeFoix <natalya.defoix@...> wrote:

      > I was just curious whether anyone on the list does any hand-dyeing and might
      > be part of a consortium that orders either item from wherever.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Natalya
      >
      > On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM, bethlakshmibetty <bethlakshmi@...>wrote:
      >

      > > Are you specifically trying to get it from India?
      > >
      > > I didn't know they made cochineal in India, I thought the red producing
      > > insect in that region was lac, and cochineal was a new world cousin...
      > >
      > > -Lakshmi
      > >

      > > --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com <SCA_India%40yahoogroups.com>, Natalya
      > > DeFoix <natalya.defoix@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone on this list order kamala or cochineal from India, either as
      > > an
      > > > individual or part of a consortium or thru a supplier?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Natalya

    • Natalya DeFoix
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
        Thanks for the link. I encourage everyone to try natural dyeing - it's a lot of fun!

        I attended the Griffin Dyeworks one-day Fiber Frolic on Feb 20 and dyed two skeins of an alpaca/wool mix (one in kamala and one in a combination of onion skins to turn it yellow and then three quick dips in indigo to get a turquoise green.)

        http://www.griffindyeworks.com/

        FYI, Bjo Trimble is Baroness Flavia Beatrice Carmigniani, OP, OL, Baroness of the Angels and one of the first members of the SCA. Awesome lady with tons of knowledge about all sorts of things, including natural dyeing.

        Natalya

        On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:58 AM, bethlakshmibetty <bethlakshmi@...> wrote:

        I keep tiptoeing around natural dyeing, but never actually manage to get a project going. :)

        So I don't have hands on knowledge, but I've gotten strong recommendations for:

        http://www.earthguild.com/products/dyes/dyenat.htm

        But it's been too many years since I poked this... so my info may be out of date.

        -Lakshmi

        --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, Natalya DeFoix <natalya.defoix@...> wrote:

        > I was just curious whether anyone on the list does any hand-dyeing and might
        > be part of a consortium that orders either item from wherever.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Natalya
        >
        > On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM, bethlakshmibetty <bethlakshmi@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Are you specifically trying to get it from India?
        > >
        > > I didn't know they made cochineal in India, I thought the red producing
        > > insect in that region was lac, and cochineal was a new world cousin...
        > >
        > > -Lakshmi
        > >

        > > --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com <SCA_India%40yahoogroups.com>, Natalya
        > > DeFoix <natalya.defoix@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Does anyone on this list order kamala or cochineal from India, either as
        > > an
        > > > individual or part of a consortium or thru a supplier?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > >
        > > > Natalya

      • Woodrow Hill
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2010
          On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 19:08, Natalya DeFoix <natalya.defoix@...> wrote:

          I was just curious whether anyone on the list does any hand-dyeing and might be part of a consortium that orders either item from wherever.

          May I recommed the SCA_NaturalDyes list?

          or the Naturaldyes list?

          I'm on both (if un-reading at the moment), and I know such orders has passed across both lists in the past. Bjo's been active on at least one of them, as well.

          Thanks,

          Natalya

          ----asim

          --