Re: The name game...

  • bethlakshmi
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
      Meenakshi wrote:
      > I will leave the name question to others who know more
      > than I do. If you are hindu, you can always use
      > goddes names, right Lakshmi?

      Indeed you can, especially when you snag them from the Acedemay of St.
      Gabriel. ;) I admit to totally taking the easy route and grabbing
      "Lakshmi Amman" from the Acedemy site of south eastern Indian names.
      At the time they came from exactly the time and place I wanted to
      research, anyway. Since, I've had an abrupt relocation.

      Let us not forget Bhairavi, either, who is both a goddess *and* a
      ragini (Indian music term - something between a key, a mode and a set
      of rules for musical progression). Indians fave both "rag"s (or
      "raga"s) and "ragini"s - male and female musical "modes". Why a
      musical category needs to have a gender, I do not know, but some are
      male and some are female. :)

      I admit to being an utter moron on naming, I wanted to be a temple
      woman, I snagged my name from a list of temple women and left it at
      that. I do know that the "Amman" is theorized to be a name appendage,
      something like "Jo", that you can take on the end of a bunch of
      different names - Mary-Jo, Betty-Jo, etc.