Source for the food Historians and cross cultural contact

  • Margaret Polson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
      So, one of my Christmas presents was the book:

      Indo Portuguese Encounters: Journeys in Science,
      Technology and Culture: Latika Varadarajan (Editor). Aryan Books International (January 8, 2007) ISBN-10: 8173053030 ISBN-13: 978-8173053030

      Which is a two volume set of the papers presented at a conference. (you know you are a geek when you are totally excited to spend your New Years Day reading academic papers) One of the papers is:

      Portuguese sources and new world plant introductions in India by Jaweed Ashraf.

      In this paper the author presents a summary of his work on arguing that a number of plants were not introduced by the Portuguese, but were already in India. These include potatoes, maize, chili pepper and cashews. Since the paper is summary, it does not go into much detail, but there are a bunch of cites into to other articles by this author and a number of other books. One of the mentions is to 14th century medical and food recipes for yellow and red chillies in India. I thought all you food historians would be interested in the lead.......

      A number other papers on India botany are also in the book.

      Another paper is:

      DeSilva family of Portugal and its contribution to unani medicine by Syed Zillur Rahman. This paper very causally mentions that " Julianna, a Portuguese lady, was medical incharge of the harem of Emperor Akbar. She possessed sound medical knowledge and worked in the royal palace. She used to treat all types of medical cases and also built a church in Agra. The Portuguese derived favors of the Mughal monarch through this Portuguese lady physician" (pg 290)

      Now, for all my research on the Portuguese in India, I have never heard of this lady. So I have no more information on her (YET!) But how cool is that? Hard to get more cross cultural than that!

      If only she wrote a book about what she saw.........

      Meenakshi
    • Margaret Polson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
         A google search on Julianna and Emperor Akbar pulls at least one reference that claims she was  Armenian, so clearly more research in needed.

        I am off to 12th Night, so this will have to wait....
                   .

        Now, for all my research on the Portuguese in India, I have never heard of this lady. So I have no more information on her (YET!) But how cool is that? Hard to get more cross cultural than that!

        If only she wrote a book about what she saw.........

        Meenakshi

      • Amber Fox
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
          > DeSilva family of Portugal and its contribution to unani medicine by
          > Syed Zillur Rahman. This paper very causally mentions that " Julianna,
          > a Portuguese lady, was medical incharge of the harem of Emperor Akbar.
          > She possessed sound medical knowledge and worked in the royal palace.
          > She used to treat all types of medical cases and also built a church in
          > Agra. The Portuguese derived favors of the Mughal monarch through this
          > Portuguese lady physician" (pg 290)

          > If only she wrote a book about what she saw.........

          If she did it's propably still in the original portugese :(

          As for the Armenian bit, She might have been an Armenian in the employ of
          the Portugese so when sending her as a gift to Akbar all the credit went
          to the Portugese and not to Armania.

          -Swannoc
        • Holly Simon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
            >> DeSilva family of Portugal and its contribution to unani medicine by
            >> Syed Zillur Rahman. This paper very causally mentions that " Julianna,
            >> a Portuguese lady, was medical incharge of the harem of Emperor Akbar.
            >> She possessed sound medical knowledge and worked in the royal palace.
            >> She used to treat all types of medical cases and also built a church in
            >> Agra. The Portuguese derived favors of the Mughal monarch through this
            >> Portuguese lady physician" (pg 290)
            >
            >> If only she wrote a book about what she saw.........
            >
            > If she did it's propably still in the original portugese :(

            That may not be as big a problem...we have a Baroness in our Kingdom who is
            fluent in Portugese. She is willing to translate with proper
            "motivation"...:)

            Bhrngari