Re: [SCA_India] Re: Quilting

  • Margaret Polson
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2009
      I found the reference I was thinking of, but it was red bed curtains, not a quilt.

      As a general concept, the best place to look for documentation of the quilts of the period is likely to the Portuguese records.  There are detailed manifests and records of what got sent back to Europe. Of course, a lot of it is still in Portuguese.

      As I  think about it, the other place to look would be Mughal household records and/or Mughal miniatures.  It is cold enough in the north to need a quilt in the winter, so they likely had them.

      Meenakhsi

      From: Elizabeth <bethlakshmi@ gmail.com>
      Subject: [SCA_India] Re: Quilting
      To: SCA_India@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Friday, October 30, 2009, 12:24 PM

      I believe you are right -- I think I went to a class of hers where she got into Indian quilts. India is not her main thing -- fabric is -- and she's done a ton of stuff with quilts, including research into the Indian/Portuguese quilts.

      -Lakshmi

      --- In SCA_India@yahoogrou ps.com, Larisa Allen <baital@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Leslie Lightfoot
      > <llightfoot1@ ...> wrote:
      > > Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any documentation for quilting in India, especially if there are any extant period quilts? I'm not looking for any particular time period or place--my persona is 16th century English and lives in Venice. I'm just looking for something to match my bedroom (sort of a "pink is the navy blue of india" theme) and I think it's going to be too much work not to consider entering it in an SCA arts competition. Thank you!
      >
      > You may have already seen this, but...
      > http://www.quilthis tory.com/ quilting. htm
      > Sarah Davies is local to the East Kingdom and I believe she was
      > examining quilting in India at some point (I recall she attended one
      > of my classes and mentioned it once).
      > There's contact info for her on this page down at the bottom, if you
      > wanted to ask her directly if she had any India-relevant info:
      > http://artisans- showcase. org/east/ artists/a_ h_000008/ index.html
      >
      > - Vairavi
      >
      > --
      > "I don't know what 'blithely' means, but I'm going to get some coffee.
      > You want some coffee?"

    • Elewyiss the Jew

        --
        Ro'ah Chatulim