Opinions? Box painting

  • minnaar
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
      Ok, so now that I have one box started, I want to start on another one
      (ADD much?).

      The first was a smaller mirror box (bought from Pennsic) for jewelry
      and the like.

      This one is a bigger, Ikea "toybox" for mostly clothing storage.

      I'm thinking about basing the paint off of this picture...
      http://www.generalism.net/lakshmi/Boxes/Painting211.jpg (which is
      late for desired period, but one of the few I could find and has the
      added bonus of being conveniently located on one of Lakshmi's
      pages...LOL), but the boyfriend and I have been back and forth on it a
      bit, whether or not the white part is a cloth of some sort laid over
      the box? But then there are some awefully even red lines on 3 sides
      of the top. But the "creases" in the white make it look as if it is
      draped over something.

      Thoughts, ideas?

      Thanks!
      Tiruvati
    • bethlakshmi
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
        --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, minnaar <minnaar@...> wrote:

        > Ok, so now that I have one box started, I want to start on another one
        > (ADD much?).
        >
        > The first was a smaller mirror box (bought from Pennsic) for jewelry
        > and the like.
        >
        > This one is a bigger, Ikea "toybox" for mostly clothing storage.
        >
        > I'm thinking about basing the paint off of this picture...
        > http://www.generalism.net/lakshmi/Boxes/Painting211.jpg (which is
        > late for desired period, but one of the few I could find and has the
        > added bonus of being conveniently located on one of Lakshmi's
        > pages...LOL), but the boyfriend and I have been back and forth on it a
        > bit, whether or not the white part is a cloth of some sort laid over
        > the box? But then there are some awefully even red lines on 3 sides
        > of the top. But the "creases" in the white make it look as if it is
        > draped over something.
        >
        > Thoughts, ideas?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Tiruvati

        It's been my assumption that the white part is a cloth draped over the top of the box, possibly with scalloped edges. Like you say, the front edge is shaded, like it's a fold over the corner.

        Of course, the counter example is to the right on the same page:

        http://www.generalism.net/lakshmi/Boxes/Boxes.html

        The demon (?monster?) holding a red box. In this case the funny front edge looks like it might be a closure of some sort - like an overlapping edge for the purpose of locking. The way it's decorated suggests that the scalloped edge is part of the construction.

        So... I'd be willing to say either way is "right".

        When I did my project, I mostly just used them as examples that:
        1 - boxes were painted
        2 - red paint was a fine color for a box
        3 - decorating the edges of each face of the box was an known composition style.

        Then I ignored them further, because they didn't match the construction of the boxes I was painting, and I definitely wanted mine to have a more pre-Mughal look and feel. So everything else about my composition borrowed heavily from pre-Mughal scrolls.

        On a practical level, I would suggest against white, if these are everyday use boxes. Anything white will scuff, scratch and stain way more than any other color, an a big solid white face on the box is likely to get dingy quickly.

        -Lakshmi
      • minnaar
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
          I did check out the other box too... which supports the "its part of
          the box theory", I just cant figure out what the shaded bits are then,
          and it bugs the crap out of me. :D

          And for anyone whos interested, this is the same box that I'm painting
          (although this person did it with their own style/heraldry stuff)
          http://www.larsdatter.com/unboring.htm

          Tiruvati

          > It's been my assumption that the white part is a cloth draped over the top
          > of the box, possibly with scalloped edges. Like you say, the front edge is
          > shaded, like it's a fold over the corner.
          >
          > Of course, the counter example is to the right on the same page:
          >
          > http://www.generalism.net/lakshmi/Boxes/Boxes.html
          >
          > The demon (?monster?) holding a red box. In this case the funny front edge
          > looks like it might be a closure of some sort - like an overlapping edge for
          > the purpose of locking. The way it's decorated suggests that the scalloped
          > edge is part of the construction.
          >
          > So... I'd be willing to say either way is "right".
          >
          > When I did my project, I mostly just used them as examples that:
          > 1 - boxes were painted
          > 2 - red paint was a fine color for a box
          > 3 - decorating the edges of each face of the box was an known composition
          > style.
          >
          > Then I ignored them further, because they didn't match the construction of
          > the boxes I was painting, and I definitely wanted mine to have a more
          > pre-Mughal look and feel. So everything else about my composition borrowed
          > heavily from pre-Mughal scrolls.
          >
          > On a practical level, I would suggest against white, if these are everyday
          > use boxes. Anything white will scuff, scratch and stain way more than any
          > other color, an a big solid white face on the box is likely to get dingy
          > quickly.
          >
          > -Lakshmi

        • Larisa Allen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
            > And for anyone whos interested, this is the same box that I'm painting
            > (although this person did it with their own style/heraldry stuff)
            > http://www.larsdatter.com/unboring.htm
            >
            > Tiruvati

            Heh, I've got two of those that need painting as well. Word of
            warning: Reinforce the bottoms if you're planning on putting anything
            in them and then moving them around. The bottoms WILL fall out on you.
            Not that I know from experience or anything...:P

            - Vairavi

            --
            "I don't know what 'blithely' means, but I'm going to get some coffee.
            You want some coffee?"

            http://www.generalism.net/
          • minnaar
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
              Hahaha. Yeah... well aware. We already have one that's all finished
              that we call "The Hunt Chest" (scenes from Gaston Pheabus' Hunt Book
              decopaged onto the panes, and then my and Valerius' heraldry hand
              painted on the top) Anyway, hijacking my own topic, if anyone wants
              to see a picture of the Hunt Chest, I'll take pictures, and then post
              the Indian version when I'm done with that one too.

              Tiruvati

              On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Larisa Allen <baital@...> wrote:

              >> And for anyone whos interested, this is the same box that I'm painting
              >> (although this person did it with their own style/heraldry stuff)
              >> http://www.larsdatter.com/unboring.htm
              >>
              >> Tiruvati
              >
              > Heh, I've got two of those that need painting as well. Word of
              > warning: Reinforce the bottoms if you're planning on putting anything
              > in them and then moving them around. The bottoms WILL fall out on you.
              > Not that I know from experience or anything...:P
              >
              > - Vairavi
              >
              > --
              > "I don't know what 'blithely' means, but I'm going to get some coffee.
              > You want some coffee?"
              >
              > http://www.generalism.net/

            • Elewyiss the Jew
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
                I would like to see pics. I saw a box done similarly, but with faux painting to look like leather. (I"m at work and can't link to the Lars Datter pic so if I'm repeating pls excuse me.)

                Tevi

                --
                Ro'eh Hatulim