Re: [SCA_India] Re: New to list

  • Virginia Lively
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 30, 2008
      Lakshmi- your bibliography rocks!  I should have joined this list years ago!!!  There are a lot of books that you have that I have not seen - do you get yours shipped from New Dehli?

      There is a bookstore in Leiden, Netherlands that specialized in Oriental books- I can't remember the name but can find it out - they have a huge Ajanta set (multi-volumes) that I would pretty much kill for.  Some of my books came from there and the East India book store online, some I just picked up in my 19 years of dance/research.

      As for documenting the my early dance - I search through Gupta sculpture and the jatakas and then correlate it with the Purana text that I have - I then see if there is a modern equivalent of the same name in classical Indian dance just as a double check.  I have volumes on the Ajanta frescoes, both photos and blackline sketches which I refer to often.  My translation of the Purana goes into some detail on how the dance should be done and for what reasons, etc., which helps somewhat- it is a three volume set and seems to be pretty complete.  I am not a classically trained Indian dancer and try to be very respectful of the modern art form.

      I would love to meet you - what major wars do you attend?

      Thanks- Rhi

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
        If you into book collecting, this is the place for you!  Lakshmi and I both have book collections that take over our houses.

        Have you seen;

        Courtly Culture and Political Life in Early Medieval India; Daud Ali, Cambridge University Press (2004) ISBN-10: 0521816270 ISBN-13: 978-0521 816274

        I am only part way through it (Gupta is not my primary area) but it has some really great stuff in it.  Lalitadasi can tell you more about it.

        I just noticed how old my biblography on the website is, I will post a new one soon.

        Meenakshi

        > My research is mainly the role and rank of the Court Dancer in the
        > Gupta court, based on the Mahajanaka Jataka from the Ajanta caves
        (Cave
        > 1), other Ajanta works and the Visnudharmottara Purana (Shah
        > translation) .

        Way cool!

        > I can post my Indian bibliography if people would benefit from it -
        > own all the books on it if someone is looking for a certain
        reference.

        I'd love to see it! I'm always looking for more books. Mine is here:

        http://www.generali sm.net/lakshmi/ LakshmiLibrary. html

        But it's a few years behind.

        > Speaking of books, does anyone else have a translation of the
        > Visnudharmottara Purana other than the one from Dr. Priyabala Shah -
        > would love to see if there are other versions out there to compare
        it
        > too.

        My Purana book is a synthesis -

        Classical Hindu Mythology, a Reader in the Sanskrit Puranas ed &
        trans byCornalia Dimmit & J. A. Buitenen. Temple University Press:
        Philadelphia, 1978.
        ISBN 0-87722-122- 7

        I wouldn't recommend it if you are really trying to drill down into
        one particular Purana. They synthesize all of them into an
        introductory reader. It works pretty well if you're trying to get a
        sense of the variations of a given myth, but not if you're focused on
        one particular time and place. I use it mostly for storytelling
        sources - it tends to have good word choices, and a dizzying number
        of lists and descriptions for trying to get one's head around
        iconography.

        I see this one:

        http://www.bagchee. com/books. php?id=4412

        By Mukjerji - but I don't know how it is.

        > As for dance, I do pretty much early Indian, some Turkish and was
        > originally trained in the modern "Old Egyptian" style.
        >
        > Thank you and thanks for the welcome! I do plan to be at Gulf
        Wars -
        > hope to meet some of you there! Rhi

        Cool! When you say "early Indian" what do you mean?

        It's great to have another crazy dance researcher on the list!
        Welcome! And in an area where we have a lot of interest, but
        probably not as much research as anyone would like. I know I don't
        konw as much as I wish I did on Gupta stuff. My thing is
        Vijayanagara era dance stuff.

        -Lakshmi

        another one of those crazy Laurel types :)

      • Shana McCoy
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008

          Courtly Culture and Political Life in Early Medieval India; Daud Ali, Cambridge University Press (2004) ISBN-10: 0521816270 ISBN-13: 978-0521816274

          I am only part way through it (Gupta is not my primary area) but it has some really great stuff in it.  Lalitadasi can tell you more about it.

          That book is my SCA Bible. I'm very much into the culture of the Gupta court and society, specializing in the ganika of Patalapura.

          --Lalita

          --
          "The supreme divinity, Lalita, is one's own blissful Self." ~Bhavana Upanishad 1.27
          http://lalitadasa.googlepages.com/home
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
            wrote:

            > Lakshmi- your bibliography rocks!

            Thanks, my whole site, is here, BTW:

            http://www.generalism.net/lakshmi/

            With assorted projects that I've done over the years, including some
            dance stuff. I haven't updated in a while - partly because I have
            been doing a lot of non-SCA dance projects, and partly cause the
            Indian stuff I'm doing is probably going to take more years to gel.

            >I should have joined this list years ago!!!  There are a lot of
            books that you have that I have not seen - do you get yours shipped
            from New Dehli?

            I use a mix of sites:

            www.abebooks.com - frequently has great deals, and they work as a
            reseller for a variety of book dealers. www.bookfinder.com is a
            portal that includes Abe, but I don't like the interface as much.

            www.vedams.com - is an Indian book seller I've liked, but they often
            have better deals through Abe.

            www.bagchee.com - doesn't link into the Abe booksellers and
            frequently has books I've not seen elsewhere. Their prices are
            usually high, though, so I often hold off and wait for it to pop up
            in other places.

            I also hit used book stores locally, and have found a Natya Shastra
            copy sitting in Indian grocery stores.

            Lastly, I work through my dance teacher. She teaches modern
            classical Bharata Natyam, but her focus for her PhD has been medieval
            dance and dance history. So I pick her brain and we share library
            finds.

            > There is a bookstore in Leiden, Netherlands that specialized in
            Oriental books- I can't remember the name but can find it out - they
            have a huge Ajanta set (multi-volumes) that I would pretty much kill
            for.  Some of my books came from there and the East India book store
            online, some I just picked up in my 19 years of dance/research.

            I'd love to know. I found this:

            http://www.brill.nl/

            Is that it? The Ajanta books do look cool, and sadly aren't any
            cheaper on Abe.

            Speaking of must have books - have you seen this one:

            http://www.vedamsbooks.com/no34895.htm

            It's amazing. Well worth the money in my opinion. The temple she's
            pulling her sculptural references from may be a little later than
            Gupta era, and I'm pretty sure it's more southern, but it's the only
            book I know of that lays out the Karanas with photos of actual humans
            trying it, and she goes into good detail on where her translations
            came from.

            > As for documenting the my early dance - I search through Gupta
            sculpture and the jatakas and then correlate it with the Purana text
            that I have - I then see if there is a modern equivalent of the same
            name in classical Indian dance just as a double check.  I have
            volumes on the Ajanta frescoes, both photos and blackline sketches
            which I refer to often.  My translation of the Purana goes into some
            detail on how the dance should be done and for what reasons, etc.,
            which helps somewhat- it is a three volume set and seems to be pretty
            complete.  I am not a classically trained Indian dancer and try to be
            very respectful of the modern art form.

            I'm totally going to have to get myself a copy of that Purana - I saw
            it browsing from your earlier message. I thought with the various
            treastises that I had pretty much consolidated all the transalations
            of dance texts that I could get my hands on. I'm psyched to hear of
            another!

            You had a chance to put out any papers or class notes? I'd love to
            read about what you know!! Sounds like we've come at it from two
            very different angles and I'd like to see what lines up.

            Out of curiosity, how are you doing the double check to modern
            dance? and which modern dance? I've found the terminology to vary
            alarmingly in some cases between dance styles.

            My approach has been to study Bharata Natyam (9 years and counting),
            from a Mysore style teacher. Fortunately, she's got a strong focus
            on abhinaya and also does research on dance history for her PhD
            work. So we share libraries and thoughts as well as dance
            instruction.

            I also grab just about any translation of a medieval dance treatise I
            can get my hands on, and do comparisons between the treatises and my
            own knowledge to see what I can document. My particular focus has
            been hand gestures and facial expressions, since I found that stuff
            in the Natya Shastra to be incredibly interesting. I've also been
            tracing movements across treatises, since later treatises look more
            like Bharata Natyam than early ones. Since my persona is 16th
            century, I have no compunction about incorporating as many late
            period concepts as I can, provided I manage to stay pre-1600. Often
            I start there, and then fall back to something earlier.

            > I would love to meet you - what major wars do you attend?

            Mostly Pennsic. I live in Boston, MA so that's the closest. I
            skipped this year, but hope to go next year. I've wanted to hit Gulf
            Wars down south some year, but haven't ever managed it.

            -Lakshmi
          • bethlakshmi
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
              --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Polson <mlpolson@...> wrote:

              > If you into book collecting, this is the place for you!  Lakshmi and
              I both have book collections that take over our houses.

              And worse, if you stick us both in a room with a bottle of wine, you
              are likely to get hours and hours of comparative dance theory between
              our two different Bharata Natyam lineages. :)

              -Beth
            • Virginia Lively
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2008
                I have done papers but am trying to compile them into a Master's thesis currently and so am not putting them online at the moment.

                I would really like to meet you guys- are you all from Nothern Kingdoms and do you ever come down south?   We are trying to make it to Pennic next year as well.

                Sorry if I am answering sporatically at the moment - I live 18 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and life is not yet back to normal here.

                Rhi

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 2, 2008
                  --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, Virginia Lively <vdlively@...> wrote:

                  > I have done papers but am trying to compile them into a Master's
                  thesis currently and so am not putting them online at the moment.

                  > I would really like to meet you guys- are you all from Nothern
                  Kingdoms and do you ever come down south?   We are trying to make it
                  to Pennic next year as well.

                  > Sorry if I am answering sporatically at the moment - I live 18 miles
                  from the Gulf of Mexico and life is not yet back to normal here.

                  > Rhi

                  WOW! My thoughts go out to you. That's awful.

                  I have family in Florida, so I'll be there Thanksgiving weekend. I
                  also went to New Orleans for the first time this May and wouldn't mind
                  returning - we had a blast. But no immediate plans.

                  Not everyone on the list is north east U.S. We started a mapping
                  project recently and we're dispersed here and there around the world.

                  -Lakshmi
                • Elewyiss the Jew

                    > If you into book collecting, this is the place for you!  Lakshmi and
                    I both have book collections that take over our houses.

                    And worse, if you stick us both in a room with a bottle of wine, you
                    are likely to get hours and hours of comparative dance theory between
                    our two different Bharata Natyam lineages. :)

                    -Beth

                    --
                    Ro'eh Hatulim
                  • Virginia Lively
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 2, 2008
                      It is currently focused on the role and status of the Court Dancer in
                      one of the Jataka scenes from the Ajanta caves - basically I am
                      trying to show her status by deconstructing her outfit, jewelry,
                      dance, etc.

                      I started falling in love with India when we lived overseas in the
                      Netherlands. I am a quilter and liked the original prints from India
                      brought over by the VOC and already did SCA middle eastern dance. I
                      kept going earlier and earlier the more I found.

                      I am pretty much the only primarily Middle Eastern dance Laurel in my
                      Kingdom currently - it is really nice to see what other M.E. dance
                      laurels are doing.

                      Do you have any papers online currently? I am having a great time
                      looking at everyones sites and ideas - It looks like I will be buying
                      alot more books for my library though after seeing the bibs on this
                      list!

                      Rhi

                      --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, "Elewyiss the Jew" <elewyiss@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I am in Atlanta and try to make Gulf Wars. I'm pretty sporadic at
                      that. What
                      > is your thesis on? Will it be posted when your done?
                      >
                      > Tevi
                      >

                      > On 10/2/08, Virginia Lively <vdlively@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have done papers but am trying to compile them into a
                      Master's
                      > > thesis currently and so am not putting them online at the moment.
                      > >
                      > > I would really like to meet you guys- are you all from Nothern
                      Kingdoms
                      > > and do you ever come down south? We are trying to make it to
                      Pennic next
                      > > year as well.
                      > >
                      > > Sorry if I am answering sporatically at the moment - I live 18
                      miles from
                      > > the Gulf of Mexico and life is not yet back to normal here.
                      > >
                      > > Rhi

                      Margaret
                      > > Polson <mlpolson@ .> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > If you into book collecting, this is the place for you!
                      Lakshmi and
                      > > I both have book collections that take over our houses.
                      > > >

                      > > And worse, if you stick us both in a room with a bottle of wine,
                      you
                      > > are likely to get hours and hours of comparative dance theory
                      between
                      > > our two different Bharata Natyam lineages. :)
                      > >
                      > > -Beth
                      > >

                      > --
                      > Ro'eh Hatulim

                    • Virginia Lively
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 2, 2008
                        I would REALLY like to take a class from you - do you teach every year at Pennsic?  Do you ever do workshops mundanely?

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 6, 2008
                          wrote:

                          > It is currently focused on the role and status of the Court Dancer
                          in
                          > one of the Jataka scenes from the Ajanta caves - basically I am
                          > trying to show her status by deconstructing her outfit, jewelry,
                          > dance, etc.
                          >
                          > I started falling in love with India when we lived overseas in the
                          > Netherlands. I am a quilter and liked the original prints from
                          India
                          > brought over by the VOC and already did SCA middle eastern dance.
                          > kept going earlier and earlier the more I found.
                          >
                          > I am pretty much the only primarily Middle Eastern dance Laurel in
                          my
                          > Kingdom currently - it is really nice to see what other M.E. dance
                          > laurels are doing.
                          >
                          > Do you have any papers online currently? I am having a great time
                          > looking at everyones sites and ideas - It looks like I will be
                          buying
                          > alot more books for my library though after seeing the bibs on this
                          > list!
                          >
                          > Rhi

                          Most of my class handouts I published on my website.

                          I think I have a few papers stashed away from my A&S competition
                          days. One got posted here:

                          http://www.mixolydian.org/xrffeast/indian/AangikumInterpretation.html

                          sorry for the weird layout - I don't control this site. That's a
                          pretty early paper in terms of my Bharata Natyam education. I
                          hestitate to read it, for fear of shuddering now. This is the first
                          peice many Bharata Natyam dancers learn, which means you learn it,
                          and then over time realize all the various nuances of meaning
                          relevant to this seemingly simple little verse.

                          Somewhere around my old laptop, I also have a paper on the context of
                          dance in medieval India. I owe a bunch of people a bunch of stuff
                          from that old laptop. Current events in my life have made having any
                          time at all to sit home and do anything rather difficult, but when I
                          get there, I will be filling up various SCA_India mailboxes with all
                          sorts of stuff I've promised people. I may just wimp out, do a dump
                          of all the files in my SCA_India repository and ask folks to tell me
                          what to mail them! 10 years of research seem to have gotten out of
                          control!

                          Since my professional education is all technological (B.S. Math, M.S.
                          Computer Science), I don't have any heavy duty academic papers - they
                          are all written to be understood by intelligent & interested folks
                          who are unfamiliar with the field. I'm thinking, though, we should
                          speak offline - I should connect you to my teacher who is doing Ph.D.
                          work right now.

                          -Lakshmi
                        • kalirugo
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 10, 2008
                            wrote:

                            > Hello - just wanted to introduce myself - I am Rhi from Ansteorra. I
                            > do research in 6th century Gupta and my main persona is of that time
                            > period. I was recently honored with my Laurel for research and dance-

                            > I am so glad that this site exsists!
                            >
                            > Rhi

                            Welcome to the list! :)
                            -Ahalya