Re: [SCA_India] Re: Indian Toiletries -> liquor

  • Amber Fox
    Message 1 of 53 , Jul 1, 2008
      > Yes, we did consider rum. I don't remember why, but the brewing master
      > convinced us that vodka would be better. I think it had something to do with
      > the type of sugar the "molasses" would have come from, was it jagary or was
      > it actually molasses as we know it today? Jagary would be lighter and not as
      > bitter as molasses, which has a natural sulpher content.

      A bit off topic....
      A non-sulfury substitute for molassus would be a very, very dark honey.
      Avocado Honey was very, very pleasing to my mom. (She's a molasses &
      biscuits fan who is unfortunatly sensitive to sulphur.)

      Buckwheat is more commonly available, but has a more nuttiness than you'd
      find in mollases.

      -Swannoc
    • Lauren Grover
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 3, 2008
        > You can find
        > recipes for panaka and nimbu pani online easily enough. For example:
        > http://indiacuisine.blogspot.com/2006/04/panakampanaka-traditional-indian-drink.html
        > <http://indiacuisine.blogspot.com/2006/04/panakampanaka-traditional-indian-drink.html>
        > and
        > http://www.cuisinecuisine.com/NimbuPani.htm
        > <http://www.cuisinecuisine.com/NimbuPani.htm>

        Oh, those sound yummy! How well does the nimbu pani concentrate keep,
        do you know? I'm used to cooking the syrup, and I'm not a good enough
        cook to know if that makes a difference.
        Hmmm... I had wondered if we should do cold drinks for GNEW, perhaps we
        will now.
        Ghazalah