Indian/Middle Eastern Dance costuming posting

  • Woodrow Hill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2000
      Hi folks:

      As some of you might know, there is talk on the al-jisr list about
      starting a Middle Eastern Dance costuming primer. Since one of the
      better-known dance garb styles is taken from tribal India, I was
      hoping to get some feedback from the gang here on the posting for
      that
      paticular style. Comments, suggestions, additions and deletions are
      all welcome!
      Please note it's _just_ a primer; not a complete biblography or
      how-to. It's designed to get folks up to speed on the style quickly,
      not be a end-all word don the subject. :)

      ----Asim
      1) India:
      Although not strictly Middle Eastern, the choli/salwar combo,
      with optional skirt, has become very popular amongst Middle Eastern
      dancers. The choli has provided a new option for dancers of all types
      to clothe the top part of the body, whereas the entire outfit has
      been
      taken up by the American Tribal format as their "uniform", in the
      same
      way the beldah is for the more well-known Middle Eastern Dancers.
      It is an outfit that is entirely period, indeed, the choli
      was
      created in period, in response to the Moslem invasions. That having
      been said, it must be pointed out that there is no evidence of this
      clothing style being used in the Middle East itself (although some
      dances of India have moves that relate to the Middle Eastern dance
      style as we know it today [1].)
      [Need info on skirts -- we they used in period, what style
      were they, evidence for, the usual.]
      The salwar are an old style of pants. Basically, they are
      made
      as two pieces of fabric with a rather deep cure, but patterns for
      them
      can be found in a Folkware pattern [2] and in _From Turban to Toe
      Ring_[3]
      The choli, as mentioned, was created in period. Many, many
      different styles exist; the FCBD pattern [4] represents a later,
      period design, and _From Turban to Toe Ring_[3] has a number of
      designs, period, post-period, and modern.

      [1] In an e-mail to the al-jisr list, Chhaya-vati Palkar (Tshaya)
      [twonomads@...] says:
      "When you see us (Val, Nicole, Tigger and me) in Rajisthani at
      Pennsic
      take a good look at our dancing. Rajisthani and Palkari tribal
      festival dancing is done solo or in pairs or circles with lots of
      traveling hip bumps, back bends, chest drops, snakey arm stuff, level
      changes and spins. Sounds a lot like *tribal* bellydance, huh? Looks
      lot like bellydance, too."
      [2]Pattern #32119
      <http://www.larkbooks.com/home.nav/dynamic/product/?sect=folkwear&cat=
      caravan&prod=32119 &lsid=23f559d39d20913a9e2424139ef1f203>
      [3]ISBN #0-9678170-1-3 <http://www.davina.org/turban/>
      [4]<http://www.fcbd.com/html/costJewel.html> (look down towards the
      bottom of the page for the Choil Pattern info)