List of Virtues?

  • Traci Pepper
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
      A long time ago, while looking into all things India, I came across a
      list of what was considered virtues or skills that a Devadasi was
      expected to perfect. I believe there were 57? maybe 67? something
      like that. Does anyone know where I can find this list online? I need
      to get it to my tattoo artist asap and can't find it to save my
      life!
    • Shana McCoy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
        On Jan 3, 2008 10:13 AM, Traci Pepper <tbfish80@...> wrote:

        A long time ago, while looking into all things India, I came across a
        list of what was considered virtues or skills that a Devadasi was
        expected to perfect. I believe there were 57? maybe 67? something
        like that. Does anyone know where I can find this list online? I need
        to get it to my tattoo artist asap and can't find it to save my
        life!

        There are 64 Kalas, or arts, that are expected from all people of gentility. Devadasi, ganika, najaraka, and many many others were all expected to be well versed in these. The list of the Kalas is in the Kamasutra. But no two editions of the Kamasutra can agree on what they are. The list I have on my website is a combination of all the ones I found in common between five different copies of the Kamasutra. The link is under my name, go to the site and look for the link for 64 Kalas. Enjoy!
      • Shana McCoy
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
          The link is under my name, go to the site and look for the link for 64 Kalas. Enjoy!

           Oops, clarification. Go to Kamasutra Notes, then the 64 Arts, its the last link on the left.

          --Lalita

          --
          http://lalitadasa.googlepages.com/home