Tents

  • Elewyiss the Jew
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 18, 1940
      I found this site looking for authentic Indian tents. If you go about half way down the page you will see a 600 year old tent made of tiger. So cool.

      Tevi

      --
      Ro'eh Hatulim
    • Dawn Woodward
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 21, 1940
        wow,. I want one, I want one, but will have to just
        use some ideas from these tents to "doctor" ours.

        http://www.tibettentshop.com/english/tibet%20tents%20english.htm
        > --
        > Ro'eh Hatulim

        Dawn/Una (dos)
        Shire of Ivory Keep
        Kingdom of Calontir
      • shauna seese
        Message 3 of 9 , May 31, 1941
           I found these on the web and they are from various eras and paintings.http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/ancient/beds1.htm
           You can find feet at restoration hardwear.com and lots of other goodies like bed rails.
           I was going to make a bed this year but funds wont have it. My man figured we would put together the 2 massage tables and cover them with the memory foam. I works really nice.

          Ratnavati
        • demon@giantsquid.net
          Message 4 of 9 , May 31, 1941
            It's European, but go here.
            http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/oakley/

            He has plans for a 'platform bed'- one that has Plywood supporting the
            mattress
            and he has plans for a Slat bed. Both are pegged so both can be taken
            apart for Transport.

            I highly recommend the Viking slat bed's functionallity. I made mine
            queen-sized and added a single headboard-to-footboard 2x2 support
            rail. The whole thing fits in my Honda Civic and it has supported my
            husband and I *year-round* for about 6 years now.
            This sort of bed can easily be made a 4 poster/canopy bed, or have
            false 'posters'
            pegged in.

            The Platform bed could be made to look closer to the statuary beds
            Ratnavati linked to.

            -Swannoc

            P.S. Some construction advice. It's really hard to get drills and
            jigsaws that can handle 4x4s. Instead use two 2x4. Use a table saw on
            both halfs (making half of the mortise hole on each) and then Glue the
            two 2x4's together. TaDa! No need for a really long drill bit.

          • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 31, 1941
              >The recipe I'm planning on using for a camp bed...
              >
              >Search Google Images for "charpoy": <http://images.google.com/images?um=1&tab=wi&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS218US218&q=charpoy>http://images.google.com/images?um=1&tab=wi&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS218US218&q=charpoy
              >
              >Use Cariadoc's rope bed instructions to replicate: <http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/rope_bed/rope_bed.htm>http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/rope_bed/rope_bed.htm
              >
              >Hope this helps!

              Cariadoc's bed is from a 13th c. Byzantine ivory looks very like some of the charpoy pictures. Notice how the ropes are fastened.
              http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/rope_bed/period_bed.htm
              http://www.imagesofafghanistan.com/images/AsleeponaCharpoy.jpg

              Cariadoc's plan uses dowels but if you have access to young trees you could cut for the side rails, that would be stronger and cheaper.

              Ranvaig
            • vada
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 1941
                Some one sent me a link to a tent maker.
                I forgot to bookmark it. I was interested in one of the tents.
                it was a 30x30x15 had 3 bedroom areas if the person who posted
                a reply to my furniture inquirie could resend the site would really
                aprisiate it

                thanks
              • John von dem Beck
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 1941
                  If not, try mfgr's: N.Face or Gregory Mtn Prod's

                  vada <sugerbme@...> wrote:
                  Some one sent me a link to a tent maker.
                  I forgot to bookmark it. I was interested in one of the tents.
                  it was a 30x30x15 had 3 bedroom areas if the person who posted
                  a reply to my furniture inquirie could resend the site would really
                  aprisiate it

                  thanks

                  Wolf von dem Beck

                  Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!