Re:looking for furniture sites

  • shauna seese
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
       I found these on the web and they are from various eras and paintings.http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/ancient/beds1.htm
       You can find feet at restoration hardwear.com and lots of other goodies like bed rails.
       I was going to make a bed this year but funds wont have it. My man figured we would put together the 2 massage tables and cover them with the memory foam. I works really nice.

      Ratnavati
    • demon@giantsquid.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
        It's European, but go here.
        http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/oakley/

        He has plans for a 'platform bed'- one that has Plywood supporting the
        mattress
        and he has plans for a Slat bed. Both are pegged so both can be taken
        apart for Transport.

        I highly recommend the Viking slat bed's functionallity. I made mine
        queen-sized and added a single headboard-to-footboard 2x2 support
        rail. The whole thing fits in my Honda Civic and it has supported my
        husband and I *year-round* for about 6 years now.
        This sort of bed can easily be made a 4 poster/canopy bed, or have
        false 'posters'
        pegged in.

        The Platform bed could be made to look closer to the statuary beds
        Ratnavati linked to.

        -Swannoc

        P.S. Some construction advice. It's really hard to get drills and
        jigsaws that can handle 4x4s. Instead use two 2x4. Use a table saw on
        both halfs (making half of the mortise hole on each) and then Glue the
        two 2x4's together. TaDa! No need for a really long drill bit.

      • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
          >The recipe I'm planning on using for a camp bed...
          >
          >Search Google Images for "charpoy": <http://images.google.com/images?um=1&tab=wi&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS218US218&q=charpoy>http://images.google.com/images?um=1&tab=wi&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS218US218&q=charpoy
          >
          >Use Cariadoc's rope bed instructions to replicate: <http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/rope_bed/rope_bed.htm>http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/rope_bed/rope_bed.htm
          >
          >Hope this helps!

          Cariadoc's bed is from a 13th c. Byzantine ivory looks very like some of the charpoy pictures. Notice how the ropes are fastened.
          http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/rope_bed/period_bed.htm
          http://www.imagesofafghanistan.com/images/AsleeponaCharpoy.jpg

          Cariadoc's plan uses dowels but if you have access to young trees you could cut for the side rails, that would be stronger and cheaper.

          Ranvaig
        • vada
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
            Some one sent me a link to a tent maker.
            I forgot to bookmark it. I was interested in one of the tents.
            it was a 30x30x15 had 3 bedroom areas if the person who posted
            a reply to my furniture inquirie could resend the site would really
            aprisiate it

            thanks
          • John von dem Beck
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
              If not, try mfgr's: N.Face or Gregory Mtn Prod's

              vada <sugerbme@...> wrote:
              Some one sent me a link to a tent maker.
              I forgot to bookmark it. I was interested in one of the tents.
              it was a 30x30x15 had 3 bedroom areas if the person who posted
              a reply to my furniture inquirie could resend the site would really
              aprisiate it

              thanks

              Wolf von dem Beck

              Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

            • Elewyiss the Jew
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 18, 2008
                I found this site looking for authentic Indian tents. If you go about half way down the page you will see a 600 year old tent made of tiger. So cool.

                Tevi

                --
                Ro'eh Hatulim
              • Dawn Woodward
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 21, 2008
                  wow,. I want one, I want one, but will have to just
                  use some ideas from these tents to "doctor" ours.

                  http://www.tibettentshop.com/english/tibet%20tents%20english.htm
                  > --
                  > Ro'eh Hatulim

                  Dawn/Una (dos)