Questions about clothes

  • r0hanian
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
      Hello again!

      I have some questions about (authentic) Indian costumes. I tried
      already to find info but I only found articles/pictures from late
      medieval Lengha Choli's and that kind of costume does not fit me at
      all (I am far too fat to wear it :D). I am just wondering is Salwar
      Kameez's ok in SCA? I have been ordering Salwar Kameez from one
      internet for mundane use ( http://www.utsavsarees.co.uk/ ) and to my
      opinion, some of those could be SCA-doable.

      I bought one absolutely fabulous Salwar Kameez (price only 8 pounds).
      It's green silk with heavy embroideries. Picture is here:
      http://pics.livejournal.com/ignata/pic/0004ktq6/
      Here is also pictures from my saris (of the ones I have not yet cut
      into pieces) http://pics.livejournal.com/ignata/gallery/0003gge2

      Does any of you use sari at SCA events? I am just curious :D
    • Shana McCoy
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
        Most of us wear saris. The fishtail wrap is most popular. The nivi wrap is also worn. I like to do mine as a dhoti.
        --Lalita Dasa
        PS I'm sure someone else will discuss salwaar kameez with you, its not my thing....

        On 3/3/07, r0hanian <cinnamonorc@...> wrote:

        Hello again!

        I have some questions about (authentic) Indian costumes. I tried
        already to find info but I only found articles/pictures from late
        medieval Lengha Choli's and that kind of costume does not fit me at
        all (I am far too fat to wear it :D). I am just wondering is Salwar
        Kameez's ok in SCA? I have been ordering Salwar Kameez from one
        internet for mundane use ( http://www.utsavsarees.co.uk/ ) and to my
        opinion, some of those could be SCA-doable.

        I bought one absolutely fabulous Salwar Kameez (price only 8 pounds).
        It's green silk with heavy embroideries. Picture is here:
        http://pics.livejournal.com/ignata/pic/0004ktq6/
        Here is also pictures from my saris (of the ones I have not yet cut
        into pieces) http://pics.livejournal.com/ignata/gallery/0003gge2

        Does any of you use sari at SCA events? I am just curious :D

      • ladysatinedelacourcel
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2007
          What I have done in the past is alter the choli so when it is tied
          the back meets up and I also add an "apron piece" to the front It
          works for me and makes me feel less uncomfortable. about my size (24).
          there is one possible idea.

          The modern Sawar Kameez looks to me to be just that Mondern but that
          is my opinion. So take it as such.

          Since you already bought one go ahead and wear it. I would hold off
          on you cutting into any of the material you already have until you
          are absolutely certain it is what you want to do withthe material. I
          have wasted very expensive material on something I was only half
          interested in ding more like talked into. I did not like teh outfit
          at all. Not happy with the results at all. The outfit would look
          great on Twiggy, Cher or Tyra, but not on me Jabba the Hut.

          Rashid, Lakshimi??? any Ideas and thoghts on how to help this lady
          out????

          Cheers
          Satine
        • unclrashid
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2007
            Lakshmi was at the Schola in Bhakail yesterday and probably won't be
            home until this evening.. she may not get to her e-mail today.

            My opinion on Salwar-kamiz outfits is that they remind me a bit of
            some of the Mughal underlayers you see women wearing in the 1560's
            thru 1580's pics. They aren't exactly the same, but they are
            similar. I wouldn't try to use salwar-kamiz to try to convey the
            impression of a Southern India or Hindi persona. I your persona is
            Northern Indian and also Muslim, they are not completely out of the
            question.

            You could use them for hanging out around camp and for informal garb,
            but for more formal occasions I would reccomend a jama which has a
            slightly more fitted bodice and a pleated-on skirt. I wouldn't make
            any kamizes out of highly decorated fabric because in period the
            kamiz was close to underwear than it was to something you would use
            gold embroidery on.

            Rashid

            --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, "r0hanian" <cinnamonorc@...> wrote:

            > Hello again!
            >
            > I have some questions about (authentic) Indian costumes. I tried
            > already to find info but I only found articles/pictures from late
            > medieval Lengha Choli's and that kind of costume does not fit me at
            > all (I am far too fat to wear it :D). I am just wondering is Salwar
            > Kameez's ok in SCA? I have been ordering Salwar Kameez from one
            > internet for mundane use ( http://www.utsavsarees.co.uk/ ) and to my
            > opinion, some of those could be SCA-doable.
            >
            > I bought one absolutely fabulous Salwar Kameez (price only 8
            pounds).
            > It's green silk with heavy embroideries. Picture is here:
            > http://pics.livejournal.com/ignata/pic/0004ktq6/
            > Here is also pictures from my saris (of the ones I have not yet cut
            > into pieces) http://pics.livejournal.com/ignata/gallery/0003gge2
            >
            > Does any of you use sari at SCA events? I am just curious :D

          • bethlakshmi
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
              --- In SCA_India@yahoogroups.com, "unclrashid" <unclrashid@...> wrote:

              > Lakshmi was at the Schola in Bhakail yesterday and probably won't
              be
              > home until this evening.. she may not get to her e-mail today.

              Yep! :)

              > My opinion on Salwar-kamiz outfits is that they remind me a bit of
              > some of the Mughal underlayers you see women wearing in the 1560's
              > thru 1580's pics. They aren't exactly the same, but they are
              > similar. I wouldn't try to use salwar-kamiz to try to convey the
              > impression of a Southern India or Hindi persona. I your persona is
              > Northern Indian and also Muslim, they are not completely out of the
              > question.

              The pictures we have that come the closest are

              http://generalism.net/gallery/16thMughal/Akbar_dancers_detail
              http://generalism.net/gallery/16thMughal/Salim_birth_detail
              http://generalism.net/gallery/16thMughal/Muraid_birth_detail_2

              In paintings like these (all 16th century Mughal era) the women
              wearing them are Indian natives in the court of a Muslim Mughal
              ruler. As such, they are likely to be either servants in the harem
              or harem members themselves.

              It's not unlikely that these women are Hindu... but they are
              decidedly not Southern. These are all Northern pictures. Down
              South, it's pretty hot and humid, so we get pretty naked. :)

              As you can see it's not *quite* a modern salwar kameez. Outstanding
              differences I see are:
              - there's always a waistline - sometimes you can see a string or thin
              sash at the waist, sometimes the waist seems to be integrated into
              the construction of the shirt/tunic.
              - they seem to flair after the waist. It's debatable whether there's
              fabric gathered onto the waist, or whether the flair in the lower
              half comes from gores.
              - there are always two pointy, trailing ends on each side of the
              garment. May be a gore at the side seam cut on the bias so that the
              fabric is stretching there.
              - they are very plain. Modern salwar kameez sets tend to be somewhat
              ornamented.
              - the pants never really match the top. They coordinate, but having
              an exact match doesn't seem to happen. Of course, one could buy two
              salwar kameez sets and just swap the tops and bottoms. :)

              It means a fairly plain salwar kameez might be a good first guess,
              although if you sew, you may want to whip out a sewing machine and
              experiment with patterns for this using plain cotton. Chances are
              with a cheap cotton, home sewing would be noticeably cheaper, and
              would probably give you a more accurate look.

              -Lakshmi
            • Margaret Polson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
                > - there are always two pointy, trailing ends on each
                > side of the
                > garment. May be a gore at the side seam cut on the
                > bias so that the
                > fabric is stretching there.

                acutally, they are not ALWAYS there, just there lots
                in the Akbar era, which is what we have the most
                pictures for, but you do see them without pointy bits.

                Meenakshi

                http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265