FW: [CALONTIR] Lectures on medieval costume at CC25, March 2007

  • otsisto
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2006
      -----Original Message-----
      (Robin Netherton asked that this be forwarded to SCA
      lists of folks that might be interested. My apologies
      if you see it more that once. - Slaine)

      I'm delighted to announce that CostumeCon 25 will be
      sponsoring a full day of my lectures on medieval
      clothing, on Saturday, March 31, in St. Louis,
      Missouri.

      I plan to give five lectures. In the morning, I'll do
      my most-requested set, a pair of lectures on "The
      Gothic Fitted Dress" (a medieval fashion known to many
      modern costumers as the "cotehardie") and "The
      Greenland Gored Gown" (the style often called the
      "10-gore dress"). In the afternoon, I'll do three
      more; I'm still working out the topics, but I'm pretty
      sure I'll be doing one on using religious art for
      medieval
      costume research, and either my lecture on the
      V-necked (Burgundian) gown, or the one on the sideless
      surcote, or maybe both of those.

      The convention itself runs March 30 through April 2.
      For those who don't know, CostumeCon is a convention
      structured rather like a science fiction con, but
      focused specifically on costuming: fantasy and sf,
      theatrical, historical, re-enactment, cosplay, and
      more. There are panels, classes, competitions,
      parties, vendors, and lots of interesting
      costume-oriented people to meet and hang out with. The
      website is here: http://www.cc25.net/

      If you're interested in my lectures and also in the
      convention itself, you can buy a full four-day
      membership for $95. If you're only interested
      in my lectures, or if you can come only for one day,
      you can buy a one-day membership for Saturday for $50.
      This will get you into my lectures as well as all the
      other great programming on that day (including that
      evening's science fiction/fantasy masquerade, a truly
      impressive show in which costumers present their
      competition entries as performance pieces).
      Registration for either full or one-day membership can
      be done online or by mail.

      The Netherton lecture series is open to any registered
      member, but to be sure you can get a seat, you'll need
      to sign up specifically. You can do this when you buy
      your membership, or -- if you've already registered
      --
      you can send an e-mail to the planners. Details on the
      lectures, and how to sign up, are here:

      You can also buy a membership at the door, but I can't
      guarantee there will be seats left for my lectures by
      then, so if you plan to go, I'd advise you to send in
      your membership as soon as you can, and get on the
      list. If you want a room at the convention hotel, it's
      wise to book early for that, too.

      Feel free to contact me or the convention staff with
      any questions.

      --Robin Netherton

      robin@...