Re: [SCA_Bellewode] questions of design

  • Lady Kassia von Katzendorf
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
      I actually like the brocolli look - don't change it! :-)

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
        Greetings from an old timer checking in!

        The name "Bellewode" was our attempt at a Middle-English construction of the concept of "Ringing Woods". Before we became associated with the SCA proper, we were a small, fledgling campus organization of wanna-be SCAdians, claiming our territory as "The Shire of the Ringing Woods". This was itself a reference to the quad--the large bell in front of MO Hall (nods to Ermenrich ^_^) surrounded by all the lush foliage of the quad (our "woods"). ...At least, that's how I remember it, which doesn't mean it's the Gospel truth...

        --Sofya

        Matthew Lagemann wrote:

        The first three I am not sure of, as voting was a
        matter of taste. As I recall we through around a lot
        of ideas at various meetings but those mentioned in
        the vote were the ones we thought best.

        4) No one currently in Bellewode was around when it
        first became a group, unfortunately, so I am not sure.
        However, it has been told to me long ago (like five
        years) that the name was chosen because of the large
        Bell Tower on campus and tree because of the state
        park (trust me there are a fair number of trees
        there), thus sort of paying homage to Bellewode's
        original name of Shire of Thousand Hills. The fifth
        question I am not sure about. Belle does mean
        beautiful in French if I recall correctly, however
        wode is not a French word but old/middle English (I
        think).

        As to brocoli... well that was a quick job I did for
        the badges last year. I am not sure if we will change
        its look a little for submission or even for the
        badges we make.

        Ermenrich

        > These are questions for curiosity sake and not you
        > need to do this, change
        > this etc.
        >
        > 1. Why the tree?
        > 2. Why not just a bell?
        > 3. Why not a tree on a bell or visa versa?
        > 4. Why was the name Bellewode chosen?
        > 5. Doesn't Bellewode mean beautiful color or
        > something like?
        >
        > Lyse
        > (the very curious this morning)

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
          That's how I remember it as well.

          Jacob

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
            The following SCA_Bellewode poll is now closed. Here are the
            final results:

            POLL QUESTION: When would be the best day/time for meetings this semester?

            CHOICES AND RESULTS
            - Mondays 4:30-5:30pm, 0 votes, 0.00%
            - Mondays 7-8pm (or later), 1 votes, 14.29%
            - Tuesdays 4:30-5:30pm or 5:00-6:00pm, 0 votes, 0.00%
            - Tuesdays 5-6pm, 0 votes, 0.00%
            - Tuesdays 5:30-6:30pm, 1 votes, 14.29%
            - Tuesdays 6:00-7:00 (or later), 3 votes, 42.86%
            - Wednesdays 4:30-5:30pm , 0 votes, 0.00%
            - Wednesdays 5-6pm, 0 votes, 0.00%
            - Wednesdays 5:30-6:30pm, 1 votes, 14.29%
            - Wednesdays 6:00-7:00 (or later), 1 votes, 14.29%

            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA_Bellewode

            http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/