Re: [SCA_Bellewode] questions of design

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1 9:37 PM
      The first three I am not sure of, as voting was a
      matter of taste. As I recall we through around a lot
      of ideas at various meetings but those mentioned in
      the vote were the ones we thought best.

      4) No one currently in Bellewode was around when it
      first became a group, unfortunately, so I am not sure.
      However, it has been told to me long ago (like five
      years) that the name was chosen because of the large
      Bell Tower on campus and tree because of the state
      park (trust me there are a fair number of trees
      there), thus sort of paying homage to Bellewode's
      original name of Shire of Thousand Hills. The fifth
      question I am not sure about. Belle does mean
      beautiful in French if I recall correctly, however
      wode is not a French word but old/middle English (I
      think).

      As to brocoli... well that was a quick job I did for
      the badges last year. I am not sure if we will change
      its look a little for submission or even for the
      badges we make.

      Ermenrich

      > These are questions for curiosity sake and not you
      > need to do this, change
      > this etc.
      >
      > 1. Why the tree?
      > 2. Why not just a bell?
      > 3. Why not a tree on a bell or visa versa?
      > 4. Why was the name Bellewode chosen?
      > 5. Doesn't Bellewode mean beautiful color or
      > something like?
      >
      > Lyse
      > (the very curious this morning)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Lady Kassia von Katzendorf
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1 11:30 PM
        I actually like the brocolli look - don't change it! :-)

        > The first three I am not sure of, as voting was a
        > matter of taste. As I recall we through around a lot
        > of ideas at various meetings but those mentioned in
        > the vote were the ones we thought best.
        >
        > 4) No one currently in Bellewode was around when it
        > first became a group, unfortunately, so I am not sure.
        > However, it has been told to me long ago (like five
        > years) that the name was chosen because of the large
        > Bell Tower on campus and tree because of the state
        > park (trust me there are a fair number of trees
        > there), thus sort of paying homage to Bellewode's
        > original name of Shire of Thousand Hills. The fifth
        > question I am not sure about. Belle does mean
        > beautiful in French if I recall correctly, however
        > wode is not a French word but old/middle English (I
        > think).
        >
        > As to brocoli... well that was a quick job I did for
        > the badges last year. I am not sure if we will change
        > its look a little for submission or even for the
        > badges we make.
        >
        > Ermenrich
        >
        > > These are questions for curiosity sake and not you
        > > need to do this, change
        > > this etc.
        > >
        > > 1. Why the tree?
        > > 2. Why not just a bell?
        > > 3. Why not a tree on a bell or visa versa?
        > > 4. Why was the name Bellewode chosen?
        > > 5. Doesn't Bellewode mean beautiful color or
        > > something like?
        > >
        > > Lyse
        > > (the very curious this morning)

      • Anne McKinney
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2 6:13 AM
          Greetings from an old timer checking in!

          The name "Bellewode" was our attempt at a Middle-English construction of the concept of "Ringing Woods". Before we became associated with the SCA proper, we were a small, fledgling campus organization of wanna-be SCAdians, claiming our territory as "The Shire of the Ringing Woods". This was itself a reference to the quad--the large bell in front of MO Hall (nods to Ermenrich ^_^) surrounded by all the lush foliage of the quad (our "woods"). ...At least, that's how I remember it, which doesn't mean it's the Gospel truth...

          --Sofya

          Matthew Lagemann wrote:

          The first three I am not sure of, as voting was a
          matter of taste. As I recall we through around a lot
          of ideas at various meetings but those mentioned in
          the vote were the ones we thought best.

          4) No one currently in Bellewode was around when it
          first became a group, unfortunately, so I am not sure.
          However, it has been told to me long ago (like five
          years) that the name was chosen because of the large
          Bell Tower on campus and tree because of the state
          park (trust me there are a fair number of trees
          there), thus sort of paying homage to Bellewode's
          original name of Shire of Thousand Hills. The fifth
          question I am not sure about. Belle does mean
          beautiful in French if I recall correctly, however
          wode is not a French word but old/middle English (I
          think).

          As to brocoli... well that was a quick job I did for
          the badges last year. I am not sure if we will change
          its look a little for submission or even for the
          badges we make.

          Ermenrich

          > These are questions for curiosity sake and not you
          > need to do this, change
          > this etc.
          >
          > 1. Why the tree?
          > 2. Why not just a bell?
          > 3. Why not a tree on a bell or visa versa?
          > 4. Why was the name Bellewode chosen?
          > 5. Doesn't Bellewode mean beautiful color or
          > something like?
          >
          > Lyse
          > (the very curious this morning)

          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://mail. yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2 6:50 AM
            That's how I remember it as well.

            Jacob

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
              The following SCA_Bellewode poll is now closed. Here are the
              final results:

              POLL QUESTION: When would be the best day/time for meetings this semester?

              CHOICES AND RESULTS
              - Mondays 4:30-5:30pm, 0 votes, 0.00%
              - Mondays 7-8pm (or later), 1 votes, 14.29%
              - Tuesdays 4:30-5:30pm or 5:00-6:00pm, 0 votes, 0.00%
              - Tuesdays 5-6pm, 0 votes, 0.00%
              - Tuesdays 5:30-6:30pm, 1 votes, 14.29%
              - Tuesdays 6:00-7:00 (or later), 3 votes, 42.86%
              - Wednesdays 4:30-5:30pm , 0 votes, 0.00%
              - Wednesdays 5-6pm, 0 votes, 0.00%
              - Wednesdays 5:30-6:30pm, 1 votes, 14.29%
              - Wednesdays 6:00-7:00 (or later), 1 votes, 14.29%

              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA_Bellewode

              http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/