Fwd: SCA in Kirksville

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
      I received this email from a gentle living in Edina.
      I've sent a reply, but I'm sure y'all can give more
      current information to her. Ermennrich, check the
      website and make sure my email
      (venkateshvara@...) is removed from it please
      and put Vitallia's or Edmund's in its place? Vitallia,
      I gave her your e-mail address as well so she can
      contact you directly and I told her I was forwarding
      this to the group list. I also told her where she can
      join the mailing list at. Seems like y'all have
      another possible long-term member on your hands. With
      horses no less!

      YIS,
      Jacob the Singer

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
        If I remember correctly, Edina is about 24 miles east of Kville on Route 6, slightly less than halfway from Kirksville to Quincy.  I don't know if Quincy or Hannibal have a group, though, but Kirksville is closer.  (Used to take Route 6 all the time)

        --Sof
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004

          The Hannibal group is in Calontir – I don’t know if Quincy has one but one day I should find out since my company is located there ;)

          But yes, Edina is closer to Kirksville and is not very far out at all.

          Erin if you want me to answer any of the Equestrian style bits let me know. I have some contacts in that part of the Kingdom.

          -Roberto

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
            I have done some further research. Quincy does not have a group.
            It's part of a greater area, The Marche of Lochmedoch I do believe is
            how they spell it. They base themselves in Macomb, IL, which is NE
            of Quincy, which is still in the Midrealm.

            So that would leave these fine folks to choose from Bellewode or
            Ivory Keep (Hannibal), and they are closer to us here in Kirksville.

            Also if they are horse enthusiasts, then odds are they have land. If
            they have land, then there's a place we can go as a group to do
            things, which may require outdoor space.

            I know in Dun Ard (the Leavenworth group) they have a couple who live
            about 25 minutes away, part of their group, that have horses. They
            go have picnics and other group activities constantly with the
            landholders. It makes for some very nice activity space.

            If they have enough we may even be able to talk to them about a
            camping event on their land, but I may be getting ahead of myself
            there ;)

            Just random thoughts.

            -Roberto
            --- In SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Lewis"
            <pretzelbear@s...> wrote:
            > The Hannibal group is in Calontir - I don't know if Quincy has one
            but one
            > day I should find out since my company is located there ;)
            >

            > But yes, Edina is closer to Kirksville and is not very far out at
            all.

            > Erin if you want me to answer any of the Equestrian style bits let
            me know.
            > I have some contacts in that part of the Kingdom.
            >

            > -Roberto

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129p8bf74/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
            6/D=gr

            oups/S=1705767503:HM/EXP=1096551295/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:
            /compa
            > nion.yahoo.com> click here
            >

            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
            > :HM/A=2128215/rand=514517402>
            >

            > _____
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            subject=Unsubscribe>

          • Martinus Draco Byzantios
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
              Sofya,

              You should check out how the Bellewode territory has grown.
              There is a map there of the territory as well.

              Edina is within the Bellewode territory.

              Martinus

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
                I'm from Ednia, and yes, Kirksville is the closest
                group. It's between 45-50 minutes from Edina to
                Hannibal and only takes about 20 to get to Kirksville,
                though I have made it in about 10 before...but not
                legally. Also, if we're looking for a camping site,
                I'm sure that my parents would be okay with us camping
                on our farm, so long as we don't bug them too much.
                Vitallia

                http://vote.yahoo.com
              • Deb Kuehne
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
                  Just for your information, the people of Quincy, IL
                  have officially joined the Shire of Ivory Keep.

                  In service,
                  HL Brigida von Muenchen
                  SE Regional Deputy Seneschal

                  I have done some further research. Quincy does not
                  have a group.
                  It's part of a greater area, The Marche of Lochmedoch
                  I do believe is
                  how they spell it. They base themselves in Macomb,
                  IL, which is NE
                  of Quincy, which is still in the Midrealm.

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com
                • Anne
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
                    Hi, Martinus!

                    I hadn't realized Bellewode occupied such a sizeable chunk of
                    Missouri. Way to go, Bellewode! ^__^

                    --Sofya
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
                      My curiosity is this: Did the people in Quincy just decide that Calontir
                      (Ivory Keep) is closer so that's where they play, or what? Because the map
                      of midrealm has the river as the boundry (Missouri Illinois line) and I
                      never saw anything official to contradict that. So my guess is (and this
                      probably belongs somewhere else but I am saying it here anyway ;) they play
                      with Ivory Keep even tho they are Midrealmers by membership and zipcode.

                      -Roberto

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
                        The river isn't always the boundary.  Calontir also includes the Quad cities, half of which are technically in Illinois.

                        As for Quincy, the town itself has grown beyond just one side of the Mississippi.  At least, there are several businesses that continue along I72 west of the river, as part of one urban sprawl.  If Quincy can be considered large enough to have an urban sprawl, that is...

                        In answer to your question of why they play with Ivory Keep, though, it could just be something as personal as liking the group better.  We have a few people in Midlands (Illinois) who travel out of town to play with a different shire than the one they technically live in.  --shrug--  Everyone plays their own game...the trick is finding what you enjoy, and finding other people whose company you enjoy sharing.  It's not offensive to the other groups, but rather, it encourages more socialization and interaction between a wider group of people.

                        --Sofya
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004

                          Actually Sofya, just so you know, I was getting clarification on the intent of the original email.  I already understood the points you made – as I listed them into my email J

                          I appreciate the input though.

                          -Roberto

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004

                            Well since in Calontir you don't have to pay to play it is very possible to do something like that. Many border dwellers do this kind of thing. For example when I was a kid in St. Louis we went to Illinois (Shattered Crystal) for meetings because there were no kids in Three Rivers at the time. People in St. Louis also play some in the middle so they can fence since it is not official in Calontir. Isabeau

                            Work like you don't need the money.
                            Love like you've never been hurt.
                            Dance like nobody is watching.