Re: Leatherwolf Day

  • astro_pete
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 9, 2005
      I recommend rainbow basin for a dark park. It's fairly far from town
      and nobody is ever there so you wouldn't have to worry about the "park
      closed at dusk" rule. I've been there a number of times late at night
      and the sky is great.
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 9, 2005
        --- In SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com, "astro_pete" <astro_pete@y...>
        wrote:
        > I recommend rainbow basin for a dark park. It's fairly far from town
        > and nobody is ever there so you wouldn't have to worry about the "park
        > closed at dusk" rule. I've been there a number of times late at night
        > and the sky is great.

        We would also have access to Eion's land for this. He's 10 miles or so
        out of Novinger, in the country. He has a light on his land, but we
        managed to make it bright enough on the 4th to turn it off ;) But
        seriously, if you go back on the makeshift road into one of his fields,
        that light isn't even a problem.

        Conrad, would you be around Saturday night? I would hate to see you
        having to stay to start a class at 8 pm on a Sunday and work in the
        weekdays after. Or could we get you to come up on a Friday when you
        are 'on way to an event' or somesuch, or a weekend when you aren't
        going to an event?

        Just thoughts.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 9, 2005
          We can try. I know a _few_ people in Calontir who make their own
          bows, but not many. One of them is in Leatherwolf but he lives in a
          Barony having an event that weekend.

          As for arrows, I know more people who make those (most archers have
          the rigs for it) but again availability of the people on our weekend,
          and the time involved. It might be best suited to another weekend or
          class time. But I will mention it as a thing people want to learn
          and see what we can drum up.

          I also know that Autumn Arrows (in Calanish Nuadh - Allesandre's home
          group) is a pure archery event. It may have some equestrian now. I
          know she's planning on going at least. It might be worth
          the "Bellewode Archer Contingent" planning a trip to go to, for
          maximum archery exposure.

          -Roberto

          --- In SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com, Raymond Brochu <glendor77@y...>
          wrote:
          > How about a class on bow and arrow making? Since there is a few of
          us who would like to become archers but don't have the bows or arrows
          or quivers.

          > Chris Lewis <pretzelbear@c...> wrote:
          > Okay,
          >
          > I said I would contact Leatherwolf (for those that don't know it's
          > household based out of Kansas City that several of us belong to -
          > some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people in the SCA that I
          > have ever known), about having a day of education on the day before
          > the picnic. This turned out to be an awesome idea because the 3
          > hour roadtrip each way on a Sunday would not have worked out well
          at
          > all.
          >
          > However, after approaching Master Modar, Baroness Briana and
          Baroness
          > Jadwiga last night, they have agreed to come teach on Saturday and
          > stay for Sunday. They are going to announce to the Leatherwolf
          > Household today (I believe) that the day is happening and try to
          drum
          > up as much support as they can.
          >
          > Alessandra, we may want to get a classroom or two so we can have
          > multiple styles of classes going on at once - perhaps.
          >
          > What I need now is ideas from people on what they would dealy love
          > learn. I have already pitched the idea to Modar about Rootbeer
          > making. He immediately said he didn't want to do it becuase his
          > method wasn't period. However I suggested a class describing
          period,
          > but showing modern. Don't know if it will happen, but it's worth a
          > shot.
          >
          > Also I mentioned that classes on clothing would be a good idea.
          >
          > Would anyone be interested in learning how to put together a feast
          > menu from Baroness Jadwiga? I'm sure we can get her to teach that.
          >
          > What kinds of clothing classes do we want to have?
          >
          > What else are people interested in learning? Leatherwolf has
          people
          > that do just about anything we can be interested in learning, and
          for
          > some stuff I'm sure we could even get Eion to teach as well. Heck,
          > might be able to myself depending on what it is.
          >
          > So ideas can come forth any time now.
          >
          > -Chris

          > Credit history Vehicle history Living history Comfort suite at
          living history farm History of humanity

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------
        • Sauer, Michael F.
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 9, 2005
             Well when the Bellewoode plan was picnic on sunday and gas was cheaper, my plan was to go to Mammoth
            Faire, then go directly from STL to Kirksville early sunday. If the picnic is turning into more of
            a weekend mini-event I would be willing to reconsider my travel plans, and it woudl save me money too.

            Cornad

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 9, 2005

              Well, not really a mini-event, however we have set aside the day before the event (Saturday) for House Leatherwolf (Modar et all) to come up and have another day of classes.  We did this for Bellewode a couple years back (before the first RUSH) and it was very good.

              So, if you would want to come up on Saturday and take part in the classes of the day I don’t see it as being a major issue – especially if a class you wanted to put together was stargazing.

              -Roberto

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 14, 2005
                Yep I think I can do that, can I get a place to stay sat night?

                Also if theres any interest I could do a beginning (but hands on) into to card weaving or pweter casting class.

                Conrad

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 14, 2005

                  OK, Time to chime in here. I can offer any of the following:

                  Building a candle making “shop”

                  Building a pottery kick wheel / Kiln

                  Building a period wheelbarrow

                  Building billows ( for open fire metal casting )

                  I will be offering a session Saturday evening on How to build and enjoy a camp fire. This will be a free form session, Bring a chair, a drink, a story and/or a song.

                  Yours in Service

                  Eoin Macrae

                  Per fess azure and gules, a quill pen bendwise inverted argent.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 14, 2005

                    I am sure there’s crash space available.  Have to do some checking to determine where first (we’re still waiting on a few to inform us if they will be at our place or not).

                    -Roberto