Calontir Map

  • Katherine Schneider
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 5:34 PM
      Greetings, I reciently recieved the following e-mail and would like
      imput as to what we should be known for/as. as for physical geography
      i would say definatly hills, perhaps forested, as for legends, i know
      at least one was created at Lillies ;) So think about it, discuss it,
      and have fun,

      ~Alessandra

      e-mail recieved:

      Greetings, everyone. Perhaps you have heard of the map of Calontir I
      am making for Kingdom Tri-levels next month. Along with the map, I am
      putting together a written commentary, a sort of lighthearted guide
      book to Calontir. I spoke to many people at Lilies, but I need more
      information about the places where you live. What I want to know is--
      what is the physical geography like? hills, plains, bogs, etc.
      what is your group known for?
      what would you like your group to be known for?
      are there monsters, fabulous beasts, or legends that would be of
      interest?
      if you could describe your group in a couple words, what would you say?
      are the people in your group Vikings? Saxons? Russians? or a mixture of
      times and places?

      Natalya (Mag Mor)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 8:05 PM
        Ooooh... the stories I could tell... ;)

        Actually, you can ask around for history of the "shire
        of 1000 hills", which was the name of the group way
        way long ago before it died. It was mentioned in a
        song. War manuevers used to be held there every year.

        Jacob the Singer

        --- Katherine Schneider <kls203@...> wrote:

        > Greetings, I reciently recieved the following e-mail
        > and would like
        > imput as to what we should be known for/as. as for
        > physical geography
        > i would say definatly hills, perhaps forested, as
        > for legends, i know
        > at least one was created at Lillies ;) So think
        > about it, discuss it,
        > and have fun,
        >
        > ~Alessandra
        >
        > e-mail recieved:
        >
        > Greetings, everyone. Perhaps you have heard of the
        > map of Calontir I
        > am making for Kingdom Tri-levels next month. Along
        > with the map, I am
        > putting together a written commentary, a sort of
        > lighthearted guide
        > book to Calontir. I spoke to many people at Lilies,
        > but I need more
        > information about the places where you live. What I
        > want to know is--
        > what is the physical geography like? hills, plains,
        > bogs, etc.
        > what is your group known for?
        > what would you like your group to be known for?
        > are there monsters, fabulous beasts, or legends that
        > would be of
        > interest?
        > if you could describe your group in a couple words,
        > what would you say?
        > are the people in your group Vikings? Saxons?
        > Russians? or a mixture of
        > times and places?
        >
        > Natalya (Mag Mor)

        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Mail
      • Anne McKinney
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2 7:37 AM
          We also have the geography of the "ringing woods"--the bells on the
          quad--from where Bellewode got its name.

          As for legends--I distinctly remember a meeting where we drew up battle
          plans to "draw up our spears on the hilltop at Hastings entertainment
          store". It's a shame my camera wouldn't take adequate pics of the
          chalkboard...it really was well-detailed.

          Do students at Truman still talk about the "Dobson monster"?

          What a fun project! Will they put the map online when they're finished?
          --Sofya
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3 5:40 AM
            There's also the event where we became a full college,
            the Crown Tourney where Fernando won. It was held at
            the Macon fairgrounds. The night before, we had the
            most horrid rainstorm, everyone fled site to hotels.
            We had Pennsic Tumbleweeds (little dome tents that
            weren't staked down enough, including my own tent). I
            met Roberto there the first time. Next day was great
            though and the site dried quickly enough that the
            tourney could go on safely. We had an emu on the
            grounds for a little while as well. The feast was
            exceptionally good. I think that was the last time I
            had Bellewode's famous whole roast pig cooked by
            Angus. IIRC, I think Drix also unveiled a song there
            for the first time as well.

            Anyone else remember anything good about that event
            that I've missed?

            Jacob the Singer

            --- Anne McKinney <agent_h@...> wrote:

            > We also have the geography of the "ringing
            > woods"--the bells on the
            > quad--from where Bellewode got its name.
            >
            > As for legends--I distinctly remember a meeting
            > where we drew up battle
            > plans to "draw up our spears on the hilltop at
            > Hastings entertainment
            > store". It's a shame my camera wouldn't take
            > adequate pics of the
            > chalkboard...it really was well-detailed.
            >
            > Do students at Truman still talk about the "Dobson
            > monster"?
            >
            > What a fun project! Will they put the map online
            > when they're finished?
            > --Sofya

            Yahoo! Sports
            http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
          • Anne McKinney
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3 8:07 AM
              > Anyone else remember anything good about that event
              > that I've missed?
              >
              > Jacob the Singer

              Crown Tourney...now there was an event I will never forget. This was
              Bellewode's first Kingdom-level event and many of us were still very green
              in the SCA, myself included. Despite months of careful planning and work,
              it turned out to be a quintessential example of "if it can go wrong, it
              will". We were running on a skeleton crew of group members to help with the
              event, and we were lucky to get Martinus to step in as a last-minute
              replacement herald. (Martinus was NOT one of the "went-wrong" factors, of
              course!)

              When the cloudburst happened, we had to sprint a quarter-mile from Troll to
              the nearest shelter (the men's bathroom), and all the records for
              pre-registration were lost. All the signs we had posted around site were
              lost...as was a day beforehand spent cleaning everything free of bird crap,
              because we were all a few feet underwater afterwards. (The site had looked
              messy enough to require some scrubbing when we first got there). People's
              tents were flying...we had report of a funnel cloud sighting just 30 miles
              away...everything seemed to indicate that everyone had better pack up and go
              home rather than continue to risk getting hit by a tornado.

              I remember being tossed in the back seat of Martinus and Phoebe's car and
              taken to their place for the night. A few brave folks (Erica, Angharad,
              Jacob, ____ [short brown-haired girl whose car died on the way home?])
              volunteered to stay up at the new makeshift Troll all night and watch over
              the site.

              Meanwhile, back in Kirksville, Kirstyn the Alchemist was alone in her
              apartment, cooking everything for the Inn when the storm hit. Sometime
              after midnight, she discovered that all of the bread dough which she had
              painstakingly prepared weeks before had gone rancid in her freezer. Quickly
              rearranging the Inn menu with what little else she had, she hopped on her
              bike and rode several miles in the threatening downpour over to Wal-Mart to
              buy stew ingredients.

              By Saturday morning, the sun was shining, and everyone was still alive. The
              event was an admirable example of the honor system in the SCA, and everyone
              who hadn't pre-registered or who had to pitch an emergency tent without
              paying Troll eventually came back to pay--knowing full well that no longer
              had any record of who had paid and who hadn't. I appeared in both the
              morning and afternoon Courts and learned the hard way what NOT to do when
              called up to Court, but Theothrekr and Yrsa were very kind and
              understanding. By the end of the day, several of our group had been awarded
              arms, including Kirstyn, Aylwin, Isabeau, Phoebe, yours truly (and others I
              might be forgetting...?). The Incipient College of Bellewode became the
              College of Bellewode, and there was much rejoicing.

              After everything was over, cleaned up, packed away and we made it home
              (including going back to rescue those who came back in the car that didn't
              quite make it), it turned out to be a successful event, disasters and
              nervous breakdowns notwithstanding. ^_^

              --Sofya
            • Phoibe Korinthia
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3 8:28 AM
                I wasn't called into court then, I received my AOA during Ferd's and
                Lyriel's reign.

> [...]

                who hadn't pre-registered or who had to pitch an emergency tent without
                paying Troll eventually came back to pay--knowing full well that no longer
                had any record of who had paid and who hadn't. I appeared in both the
                morning and afternoon Courts and learned the hard way what NOT to do when
                called up to Court, but Theothrekr and Yrsa were very kind and
                understanding. By the end of the day, several of our group had been awarded
                arms, including Kirstyn, Aylwin, Isabeau, Phoebe, yours truly (and others I
                might be forgetting...?). The Incipient College of Bellewode became the
                College of Bellewode, and there was much rejoicing.

                After everything was over, cleaned up, packed away and we made it home
                (including going back to rescue those who came back in the car that didn't
                quite make it), it turned out to be a successful event, disasters and

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • martinus
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3 9:41 AM
                  Sofya,

                  That was a very good summary.
                  It was Phoibe's first event. And although everything seemed to go wrong, I thought all the members of the College did an admirable job in making the best of the situation. I think everyone had a great time and there were many subsequent reports that those in attendence held the College in high regard for putting on such a good event in the face of so many obstacles.

                  I am only sorry that so many put forth so much of themselves that it took quite some time to recover the spirit to wish to put on another event.

                  It seems that the spirit has done nothing but grow over the past years and the people of Bellewode gain ever greater respect in the eyes of Calontir.

                  Bellewode has its own identity....never let it die.

                  Martinus

> [...]

                  paying Troll eventually came back to pay--knowing full well that no longer
                  had any record of who had paid and who hadn't.  I appeared in both the
                  morning and afternoon Courts and learned the hard way what NOT to do when
                  called up to Court, but Theothrekr and Yrsa were very kind and
                  understanding.  By the end of the day, several of our group had been awarded
                  arms, including Kirstyn, Aylwin, Isabeau, Phoebe, yours truly (and others I
                  might be forgetting...?).  The Incipient College of Bellewode became the
                  College of Bellewode, and there was much rejoicing.

                  After everything was over, cleaned up, packed away and we made it home
                  (including going back to rescue those who came back in the car that didn't
                  quite make it), it turned out to be a successful event, disasters and
                  nervous breakdowns notwithstanding.  ^_^

                • Belle W
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 5 7:42 AM

                    Actually Angus didn't cook the pig that year, I bought it already cooked from the place that sold them. We were going to cook it again but after the previous year, it was a little ridiculous. That and it only cost us about two cents per pound more to cook it. Ashley had the keys to the kitchen and didn't show up at all, so J broke the door. (Which insidentally is one of the reasons the site owners were unhappy with us, another being parking and something else I don't remember.) The site had no hot water in the kitchen, which made cooking very difficult and cleaning nearly impossible.  We stored the veggies in a freezer we thought wasn't working, turns out it just hadn't got going yet and froze everything, had to scrap a really cool spinach dish I was going to make. Anyway, it was a crazy event. Belle

                    Work like you don't need the money.
                    Love like you've never been hurt.
                    Dance like nobody is watching.

                    From: Harry Coburn <venkateshvara@...>
                    To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 05:40:14 -0700 (PDT)

                    --- Anne McKinney <agent_h@...> wrote:

                    > We also have the geography of the "ringing
                    > woods"--the bells on the
                    > quad--from where Bellewode got its name.
                    >
                    > As for legends--I distinctly remember a meeting
                    > where we drew up battle
                    > plans to "draw up our spears on the hilltop at
                    > Hastings entertainment
                    > store". It's a shame my camera wouldn't take
                    > adequate pics of the
                    > chalkboard...it really was well-detailed.
                    >
                    > Do students at Truman still talk about the "Dobson

                    monster"?

                    > What a fun project! Will they put the map online
                    > when they're finished?
                    > --Sofya

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Belle W
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5 7:50 AM

                      I can think of one very good thing that happened, Fernando won, other than that it was very stressfull, I was supposed to come down to start cooking feast that Sat. but since the rain was so bad I couldn't even pack my car much less drive it anywhere, I stayed in Kirksville cooking in my kitchen and hoping the rest of you hadn't washed away. Half the people that were driving there in the middle of the night couldn't find the place because the supposedly "lighted" sign marking the fairgrounds was never lit and I don't think is even got SCA put on it anyway. Most folks found a hotel to stay in, or just turned around and went home.

                      We did actually make money at that event however, amazingly, and I think by the end of it we were all in a good mood and fairly happy wiht the results.

                      From: "Anne McKinney" <agent_h@...>
                      To: <SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com>
                      Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 10:07:23 -0500