Group Pictures

  • pretzelbear@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
      Okay guys - new and old alike.

      If you have pictures, recent or ancient, from this group, and want to
      give permission to have them on the Bellewode site, or not, we can
      put the pictures up on the yahoo group, so we can at least have them
      for us to enjoy.

      When posting a picture, if you want to give permission to put it on
      the regular website (Ermenrich maintains this, BTW), then just toss a
      note to the list as well that it's available. If no note is given
      then we'll assume no permission, and just keep it on the yahoogroup.

      I would love to see some of the olden days pictures from Bellewode,
      personally.

      -Roberto
    • Anne McKinney
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 25, 2004
        I remember a photo album full of pictures taken when I was active in Bellewode.  I don't remember what happened to it, though.  With luck, it's still floating around town somewhere.

        After work I'll see if I still have a floppy with Bellewode pics on it.  Some of the pics from the photo album were ones I either scanned from my own copies onto file, or printed from pics already on disk from other people.

        --Sofya
      • brenda appleby
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 25, 2004
          I have some photos - a few from meetings at Bellewode,
          but mostly from Lilies LAST year and the event in
          Standing Stones when St. Andrixos was martyred... if I
          can find a scanner to use at the school I'm at now
          I'll post some of the best ones.

          -Brenda

          http://vote.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 25, 2004
            I also recall having a bunch of old ones stored in a
            directory in the website, but I don't know if I wiped
            them before I left after talking with others. When I
            left the scrapbook was still around.

            Anne, since you were around during that time IIRC,
            would you care to tell the story of the skit the group
            did in conjunction with Prism? I remember a newspaper
            article about it in the scrapbook, but I think fewer
            than 4 people on this list even remember the event
            occuring, much less having participated in it.

            Jacob the Singer
            Who was not part of the "Monty Horror Python Show".

            --- Anne McKinney <agent_h@...> wrote:

            > I remember a photo album full of pictures taken when
            > I was active in Bellewode. I don't remember what
            > happened to it, though. With luck, it's still
            > floating around town somewhere.
            >
            > After work I'll see if I still have a floppy with
            > Bellewode pics on it. Some of the pics from the
            > photo album were ones I either scanned from my own
            > copies onto file, or printed from pics already on
            > disk from other people.
            >
            > --Sofya

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Anne
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 27, 2004
              <venkateshvara@y...> wrote:
              > Anne, since you were around during that time IIRC,
              > would you care to tell the story of the skit the group
              > did in conjunction with Prism? I remember a newspaper
              > article about it in the scrapbook, but I think fewer
              > than 4 people on this list even remember the event
              > occuring, much less having participated in it.
              >
              > Jacob the Singer
              > Who was not part of the "Monty Horror Python Show".

              Ah yes, the infamous Monty Horror Python Show!! ^___^ Them's
              during the good old days.

              Truman has traditionally held a skit contest during the spring. I
              think it was called Lakeview, or something else related to a lake.
              The contest always consisted of campus organizations teaming up to
              perform skits with song and dance numbers. One year, our group--The
              Society for the Study of Medieval Culture--decided to try our hand
              at this contest.

              That year, the theme was "It was a dark and stormy night." We,
              along with another on-campus group, would have to put together a
              short skit with two musical numbers, fitting that theme. We had no
              idea who we would be paired with.

              Of course, since the contest was sponsored by the Pan-Hellenic
              counsel, there was only one other participating organization that
              was NOT Greek or Christian-affiliated: Prism, the LGBTQRZ group.
              Were we surprised to discover that we were paired with Prism, and
              not the Campus Christian Federation, or a Fraternity or Sorority?
              Not really. But the situation worked to our advantage, because both
              our groups had a message to get across to the greater Truman public,
              and we would do it through song.

              The question was, how do we advertise the existence of a Medieval-
              hobbyist organization while simultaneously getting across the
              message that it's OK to be gay, all the while fitting the theme of a
              dark and stormy night? The answer was a fusion of two cult classic
              movies, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Monty Python and the Holy
              Grail.

              The skit begins with King Arthur and his Knights galloping around
              the stage and complaining about how they would camp for the night
              when it was starting to rain. Suddenly, they spot a castle with a
              grail-shaped beacon. Just as they decide to investigate, a Random
              Peasant (me) shows up to warm them to beware of the castle,
              for "queer things are afoot!" I ask them who they are, and they
              burst into a choreographed version of Knights of the Round Table.

              After the song, King Arthur (Trevor Johnson) decides to forego the
              warning, and sallies his knights forward. Sir Robin convinces him
              that it's not such a good idea, and Sir Lancelot and Sir Galahad
              (Lorenzo) bravely go forth by themselves.

              Once in the castle, they meet Riff, who takes Galahad away for a
              private meeting with Frankfurter while Lancelot is scooped away by
              Magenta and Columbia. Frankfurter helps Galahad to realize that
              what he really wants is another knight in shining armor to come to
              his rescue. Meanwhile, Magenta and Columbia discover that Lancelot
              is really a lesbian in drag (with a fake moustache!) and convince
              her to come out with her secret. Soon after, King Arthur and co.
              enter the castle, and Lance and Galahad come out--only to find that
              their friends already knew, and are ok with it. They all celebrate
              with the Time Warp--including a cast of thousands (sorta) to do the
              dance.

              Needless to say, we all had a lot of fun working on this project.
              During and afterwards there was quite a bit of interaction between
              our groups. During one of the practices for the Time Warp I
              sprained my wrist--I was supposed to be flipped by a guy on either
              side of me, and there was some confusion as to whether we were doing
              the flip for that take or not--resulting in one guy flipping me, and
              the other not. LOL I was taken out of the flip line and moved over
              to the side, where I was supposed to be showing King Arthur how to
              Time Warp.

              Our Frankenfurter wore a black teddy with fishnets and heels for his
              costume. During the dress rehearsal we were told that he would have
              to wear something over it, so for the performance he wore a small
              wraparound skirt off to the side so it didn't cover his groin (he
              had the goods to pull it off, by the way).

              We were the only skit that did not include a Greek or Christian
              organization. We were also the only skit that did not revolve
              around South Park, Titanic, the Barbie Girl song, and that Molly
              Shannon character who goes around sniffing her armpits. I think
              every other skit incorporated all of those elements. We were also
              the only skit not to win a single prize in the competition.

              Were we surprised? Not really. We both succeeded in setting out
              what we wanted to do: the SCA got publicity, and Prism got to
              spread their message of tolerance. So what if we were the only
              original group in the show? All the judges were on the Pan-Hellenic
              council, so there wasn't much chance for beating the Greek
              organizations for a prize. The crowd digged us--during the Time
              Warp we were dancing to an auditorium full of people chanting "Prism
              rocks!" The exhilaration was well worth it.

              There is a newspaper clipping with a big photo of Lorenzo getting
              carried off by two festive-looking lads. If someone ever finds the
              album, I'd love to have a Xeroxed copy of the article for my
              records. I'd even be willing to pay the 10 cents for the copy. I
              have a Paypal account. lol

              Jacob, thanks for reminding me of this wonderful memory!
              --Sofya
            • Trevor Johnson
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 27, 2004
                Hi everybody!

                Figured I'd stop lurking and actually post since I know a bit about
                what's being discussed for once... Hi Anne! I can fill in a few blanks
                for you: the Monty Horror Python Show was during "Lakeside." We
                rocked. They sucked. That was probably the best time I ever had at
                Truman. That skit was genius. John (Frank) scared the hell out of
                everyone, it was beautiful. And geez, Anne, you have an amazing
                memory!

                Also, the photos: In #7, was that when Ashley Farnsworth was
                seneschal?
                And in #27, the girl on the far left is Sarah Dennis.

                My second-best memory of the SCA was during some sort of craft fair
                Ryle Hall was putting on; I was giving tarot readings (in my crusader
                garb, no less) and I got a lot of sorority chicks asking about guys
                they had crushes on, naturally. For some reason, "Tim" came up a lot,
                and when I said, "Hmm... someone named Tim?" to another pair of girls
                in a later reading, you should've seen their jaws drop. It was
                awesome!

                --Trevor
              • Anne McKinney
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 28, 2004
                  during "Lakeside." We
                  rocked. They sucked. That was probably the best time I ever had at
                  Truman. That skit was genius. John (Frank) scared the hell out of
                  everyone, it was beautiful. And geez, Anne, you have an amazing
                  memory!

                  Lakeside!  (smacks hand to forehead)

                  Also, the photos: In #7, was that when Ashley Farnsworth was
                  seneschal?
                  And in #27, the girl on the far left is Sarah Dennis.

                  Thank you!  I'll get those fixed when I get to work.  Umm, the photos, I mean, not the people.

                  My second-best memory of the SCA was during some sort of craft fair
                  Ryle Hall was putting on; I was giving tarot readings (in my crusader
                  garb, no less) and I got a lot of sorority chicks asking about guys
                  they had crushes on, naturally. For some reason, "Tim" came up a lot,
                  and when I said, "Hmm... someone named Tim?" to another pair of girls
                  in a later reading, you should've seen their jaws drop. It was
                  awesome!

                  I'd forgotten about that faire.  I think Carolyn and I were making hair wraps all day long...oh, hair wraps...
                  I wonder if Tim was Tim Geiger, who lived in Grim Hall at the same time as Brian, Nick and I.  He had that rugged, just-got-out-of-bed look that appealed to a lot of women--and some guys.  My roommate Adam had a huuuge crush on him.  Tim had that way of looking shy and modest when he purposely did things because he *knew* chicks digged it.  He had a few stalkers, too, so I wouldn't be surprised if half of Ryle Hall wanted to ask the Tarot about him.  ^_~

                  --Anne

                  --Trevor