RE: [SCA_Bellewode] Coronation

  • otsisto
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 14, 2005
      I have thought this over and wish to reply to this.

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 15, 2005
        My reply to this is not to be picky, and I will try to keep it
        cleaned up as I can, however my purpose in replying to this is two
        fold. 1) To help the bellewode students and members learn a bit from
        my experience in the SCA, and 2) hopefully pass on some knowledge
        from my time in the SCA, and the 7 years I spent working at feast at
        every event I went to, to help our neighbor Amliss Moore.

        Unfortunately, due to the timing, I was gone before the beef was
        served. And if I had been served 'pink in the middle' beef, I may
        not have eaten it, depending on the level of pinkness. My first
        feast in the SCA involved some roast beef, and in the end we had 3
        levels of doneness, and tried to give each table a mix of the 'done',
        and the 'pinkish', and the 'definitely pink in the middle' meats. If
        anyone was unhappy with the meat available, we tried to suit them
        with specific requests. It didn't work out as we hoped, and we
        learned then that serving meat 'well done' (NOTE: Welldone does not
        mean charred, or dried out. It is very possible to make meat fully
        cooked, and leave it juicy and tender - I do it all the time when I
        make meat for myself at home) as fewer people will not eat tender
        juicy fully cooked meat, than won't touch meat they find questionable
        or underdone. Also, using red food coloring on meat to make a joke,
        is _never_ a good idea. I learned that from the same friend, at a
        different feast.

        The chicken was a bit dry, and the pork pies were a bit overcooked.
        My major problem with the food wasn't the doneness, tho I heard a lot
        of people grumbling quietly and politely about it, but it was the
        fact that it was cold. If chicken is served whole, then it should be
        served whole and still warm so it's easier to cut. If it's going to
        be cold (and some recipies call for it) it really should be pre-cut
        up, to remove the need to make feast guests work for their food, so
        to speak.

        I found the pork pie tasty, and wished there had been more of it, but
        even half of mine was dry, and required a bit more water to drink
        with it, than I prefer. but the flavors were very good. However,
        this is not the kind of thing an inexperienced feast goer should
        experience at one of their first feasts. I am not saying feast was
        horrible. I am saying, that having the extensive feast background I
        have, it was 'wanting' for something.

        > Roberto: the major problem was in the presentation. they only had
        enough
        > serving dishes for about half of a remove, maybe a full remove, at a
        > time. So there was 30+ minutes between each remove while they
        > gathered the serving dishes, and washed them to reuse them.
        >
        > *There was enough for a full remove and it was 15 minutes or less,
        for if it
        > happened according to your time you would have still been feasting
        there at
        > midnight. Court started late and some brilliant individual found
        that there
        > were two more tables and thus adding 16 more people.

        Actually, there was enough time between removes that we ate (10
        minutes), got up and walked around, went to the bathroom, and in
        general got bored. And I left at 10 pm (2 hours into feast?) and the
        pork pie had only been on the table for 10 minutes. People were
        waiting until around 10:15 or later for the beef. I am not being
        overly critical here, but I am stating fact. It may have only been
        25 minutes, but it definitely wasn't 15 - because even at my worst I
        can't lose total focus and lack of entertainment in 15 minutes,
        especially with food to eat. Granted this wasn't the most time
        consuming feast I have been at. I have been at one that was a 3 hour
        feast. But it had 8 removes, and they kept enough entertainment
        arranged to have 2 preformances between servings. It may have been
        timed well and just not had enough entertainment. That's possible.
        But I am unsure on that.

        As adding the 16 more people (2 tables) that sounds like someone and
        your feast-o-crat needed to have a talk well beforehand. Adding
        tables last minute should be the feast steward's job, noone else's.
        As that can ruin the best laid plans.

        > Roberto: I will make this note to any aspiring feast-o-crats in our
        group.
        > If
        > you are going to do a feast, make sure you have enough dishes to
        > serve at least half of the feast at once.
        >
        > * This is good advice. A feast steward needs to make sure that
        he/she has
        > sufficient serving ware or arrange so that removes are paced with
        the
        > serving ware so that there isn't an interruption in the flow of
        serving.

        That's actually what all of my suggestions center around.
        Interruption of flow, or poor flow, kill a feast. And as I stated
        above, the flow of this feast was not exactly stellar. Now, for the
        first feast for a 'new' group (not knowing if they have had any while
        being incipient) I will say that I was not so upset as to not give
        them a chance in the future. But I will be cautious in the future
        when I give more chances. I actually look forward to the next feast
        held in Amliss Moore as I think it will go off much better, the group
        having learned some very good lessons.

        > Roberto: Preferably all of it without having to re-use. The reason
        for the
        > latter suggestion is once you have things coming in dirty, people
        can start
        > washing it off, and putting it away - saving time in the long run.
        But the
        > main
        > thing is, if you have to reuse a dish, don't count on having it back
        > from one remove, to use on the next. It doesn't work.
        >
        > *Small shires do not always have the income to spend on period or
        periodish
        > serving ware, they do their best.
        > It would have helped matters if the water heater had not blown a
        fuse and
        > thus leaving no hot water outside of the Hobard.

        All any group can do, is do their best. However, I do not consider
        Amliss Moore a small shire, judging from the number of people that
        went up to receive acolade of full group status. I would definitely
        call your shire a medium sized shire. Now, I will admit it's a
        fairly young group, but you also have a lot of resources at hand. By
        that, I mean you have Standing Stones just a stones throw (no pun
        intended?) from you, and I know they are willing to help out however
        they can. Heck, we have had the offers of help from both of you. I
        do not know if you took them up on it or not, and if not I would
        strongly encourage you to do so in the future, and if you did, then
        this part of the conversation is moot. A hot water heater blowing up
        is an uncontrollable condition, but if this was to be taken into
        consideration as a reason for the flow of feast being affected, I
        would have had it announced that due to 'technical difficulties with
        those that deliver the water from the heating pots to the washing
        pots, feast was going to move a bit slower as they had to wash some
        stuff slowly", then people could have taken it into account, but with
        no announcement by the time I left (just after 10), I could not act
        with that information.

        > Tips for future Feast Stewards,
        > Line the roasting pans and sheets with aluminum foil.
        > Know your site in advance.
        > Learn what they have and don't have and then fill in from there.
        > If you can prepare some of the food items in advance of the day of
        the
        > event, do so.
        > Make sure at least one dish on the menu is simple. Side dish of
        beans,
        > cooked carrots, broccoli, Roast beef...etc. (bread, cheese and
        fruit do not
        > count as the simple dish, sorry)

        These are some _wonderful_ suggestions. I strongly reccommend that
        every feast steward have 1 meat dish and 1 vegetarian dish in every
        remove, and if you have to prep with mushrooms, make sure they are
        well announced, or made aside from the dish they are augmenting. But
        I know a lot of people with mushroom allergies, and a lot of vegans
        in the SCA. I personally am not allergic to mushrooms, but they make
        me cringe uncontrollably. The aluminum foil tip is priceless, and
        has saved many a feast. In general I reccomend any dish that can be
        reheated, or served cold, prepped in advance, anything that is best
        served hot, and fresh, be cooked day of. And chickens should be
        cooked as in advance as is possible, and then stored in a way to keep
        them warm, and juicy. I have had too many chickens leave a kitchen
        dry, and at one feast there were some that were sent out prematurely
        becuase they had oven troubles. Never serve undercooked chicken.

        > <<Anyway, wanted to let you all know you didn't miss much by not
        doing
        > feast this time, and probably did yourselves a favor.
        >
        > If anyone ends up going to the Round Table event in Forgotten Sea in
        > May, the feast there should be most definitely worth eating. I have
        > an inside scoup on it.
        >
        > -Roberto
        >
        > Even a Barony can have a bad feast. You won't know till the day of
        the
        > feast.

        This is true, anyone can have a bad feast. But I have been receiving
        samples from this upcoming feast at this event, and know the cook.
        They are fully prepped for a day of outdoor cooking, and the menu is
        scrumptious.

        Thank you for responding to the email, and even for pointing out
        things like the water heater. And as I have said, I am not against
        Amliss Moore in anyway, I am just glad that I don't know of any first
        time feasters who may have been disillusioned. And I hope these
        words can be helpful to all those involved. I am looking forward to
        my next chance to feast with you all.

        -Roberto
      • otsisto
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 15, 2005
          My reply to this is not to be picky, and I will try to keep it
          cleaned up as I can, however my purpose in replying to this is two
          fold. 1) To help the bellewode students and members learn a bit from
          my experience in the SCA, and 2) hopefully pass on some knowledge
          from my time in the SCA, and the 7 years I spent working at feast at
          every event I went to, to help our neighbor Amliss Moore.

          *My apology as some of the original email came across a bit catty, which is
          why I waited in replying.

          Unfortunately, due to the timing, I was gone before the beef was
          served. ... Also, using red food coloring on meat to make a joke,
          is _never_ a good idea.

          *Some subtleties just don't go over well. :)

          The chicken was a bit dry, and the pork pies were a bit overcooked.
          My major problem with the food wasn't the doneness, tho I heard a lot
          of people grumbling quietly and politely about it, but it was the
          fact that it was cold.

          I found the pork pie tasty, and wished there had been more of it, but
          even half of mine was dry, and required a bit more water to drink
          with it, than I prefer. but the flavors were very good. ........... I am
          not saying feast was horrible. I am saying, that having the extensive feast
          background I
          have, it was 'wanting' for something.

          * I had forgot about the pies, The person in charge of baking the pies
          didn't keep a good watch.
          As for the cold food, I don't know about whether the chicken was to be cold
          or not but the warming oven apparently was on the same fuse as the hot water
          heaters. :P
          But you are correct about cutting the meat up. People are usually tired and
          hungry and having to wrestle a chicken is the last thing they want to do.

          Coronation was put on by 3 Shires. Amlesmore (Laurel for some reason did not
          receive the docs. and so recommended the lispy name), Standing Stones, and
          Wyvern Cliff. The feast steward was from Wyvern Cliffs and has had
          experience as a feast steward. Decor and the main planning was SS, and site
          was AM.

          Personally there were things I would have done different with feast and the
          running of the kitchen but I was not in a position to say or dictate. It
          would have been rude.
          I have learned that if there is an event with 2 or more groups working on it
          that there needs to be a better open line of communications.

          AM has been around for 3 years and last year put on their first event, War
          College.
          Hopefully we will learn from what went wrong and what went right at
          Coronation for future events.

          Final note: anyone who volunteers to become an Autocrat or Feast Steward,
          learn to delegate and learn to include others in the process.
          Being the Feast Steward does not mean you cook everything, it means you are
          the coordinator that sees to it that there is an enjoyable feast.

          Thank you Roberto, I usually don't get this much conversation from our list.
          :)

          Lyse
        • Anne McKinney
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 15, 2005
            I know I shouldn't read feast-related posts on an empty stomach! ^_~

            Just adding my own two cents...I am not trying to argue against any of the
            points already made in this conversation, but make my own pointless comment
            which you are all free to dismiss as you see fit.

            I've been to my fair share of bad feasts, and really good feasts too. I try
            not to think too critically about the way feasts are handled because by the
            end of an event, I'm just happy to sit in good company and enjoy an evening
            spent with laughs, meeting new friends, and trying wonderful dishes.
            Sometimes I've gone hungry waiting for removes to arrive, but they do arrive
            eventually and my tablemates and I are all happy to see them when they do.
            By the time we get to try them, it is almost always worth the wait. SCA
            feasts are meals that cannot be found so easily anywhere else. I love them.

            Hats off to anyone and everyone who has taken the time and effort to prepare
            and serve feasts. Regardless of what goes wrong, I'm grateful that there
            are people willing to put their hearts into these lavish meals. Each one is
            a memorable event in of itself, and I just want to say thanks to all who put
            a hand in their creation. Those who have stressed through a troublesome
            feast, please know that no matter what goes wrong, I'm still happy that
            people are willing to put forth the energy.

            And now I'm off to heat up some frozen egg rolls for dinner...sigh...I'll
            still take the worst SCA feast over instant dinner. Anyone willing to drive
            to Illinois right now and cook for me? ^_~

            --Sofya
            Sorry I will have to miss Bellewode's event! I have my own local event on
            the same day...and we're not even having a feast! :P
          • otsisto
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 15, 2005
              S>I've been to my fair share of bad feasts, and really good feasts too. I
              try
              not to think too critically about the way feasts are handled because by the
              end of an event, I'm just happy to sit in good company and enjoy an evening
              spent with laughs, meeting new friends, and trying wonderful dishes.

              *I have found that this has always been a debate for feast, whether to let
              people just chat or add some form of entertainment. One of those hold your
              mouth just right and leg out decisions. :)

              S>Sometimes I've gone hungry waiting for removes to arrive, but they do
              arrive
              eventually and my tablemates and I are all happy to see them when they do.
              By the time we get to try them, it is almost always worth the wait.

              * I have always wondered if just once a feast steward purposely waits so
              that you are so hungry you don't care if it tastes good or not. I doubt that
              someone has ever done that but one has to wonder a bit. :)

              S>SCA feasts are meals that cannot be found so easily anywhere else. I love
              them.

              *I love how they take one recipe and it tends to change with a different
              cook. Though I used to be more adventurous then today with tasting new
              dishes but my experience with sweet and sour kidney beans put a slight rein
              on the adventure. :)

              S>Hats off to anyone and everyone who has taken the time and effort to
              prepare
              and serve feasts. Regardless of what goes wrong, I'm grateful that there
              are people willing to put their hearts into these lavish meals. Each one is
              a memorable event in of itself, and I just want to say thanks to all who put
              a hand in their creation. Those who have stressed through a troublesome
              feast, please know that no matter what goes wrong, I'm still happy that
              people are willing to put forth the energy.

              *Yes they/we do. What we have been going back and forth on is info to try to
              easy the stress and the work on the day of the feast. Review but not pass
              blame. Correct what can be corrected. Improve the flow. A kind of Feng
              shui'ng the feast. :)

              And now I'm off to heat up some frozen egg rolls for dinner...sigh...I'll
              still take the worst SCA feast over instant dinner. Anyone willing to drive
              to Illinois right now and cook for me? ^_~

              *Sorry I already cook for my SO who gets lost in the kitchen. Would like to
              recommend if you can get it in your neck of the woods, Iron Chef, Sesame
              Garlic next time you have egg rolls and if you love garlic.

              --Sofya
              Sorry I will have to miss Bellewode's event! I have my own local event on
              the same day...and we're not even having a feast! :P

              * how do you pronounce your name? So fee ah or Sof yah?

              Lyse
            • Anne McKinney
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 16, 2005
                > *Sorry I already cook for my SO who gets lost in the kitchen. Would like
                > recommend if you can get it in your neck of the woods, Iron Chef, Sesame
                > Garlic next time you have egg rolls and if you love garlic.

                Mmm, I haven't seen Iron Chef brand food in the stores here, but I love the
                shows! And I love garlic...^_^

                > * how do you pronounce your name? So fee ah or Sof yah?
                >
                > Lyse

                It's 2 syllables, stress on the first: SOF ya. Thanks for asking--it's a
                name that is easily confused with Sophia, and I've learned to turn my head
                when I hear either.

                --Sofya
              • otsisto
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 16, 2005
                  It's 2 syllables, stress on the first: SOF ya. Thanks for asking--it's a
                  name that is easily confused with Sophia, and I've learned to turn my head
                  when I hear either.

                  --Sofya
                  *******

                  I sort of figured that was the pronunciation. I can sympathize, I go by a
                  nickname of my mundane name because I got tired of being called 3-4
                  different names and having the person get pissed off because I didn't
                  answer.

                  Lyse

                  The Gerbes in the Columbia area carries the Iron Chef in the foreign foods
                  aisle. There is a orange sauce and a plum sauce as well.
                • Sauer, Michael F.
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 30, 2005
                    Greeting

                    I hope everyone is getting settled back into school. If anyone can
                    manage to take a break and is considering going to coronation
                    the second weekend of september, I will be passing through bellewode on
                    my way there.

                    I have a vehicle that could hold up to 4 others for a non-camping event
                    and still get half-way decent gas mileage.I'm also in the process of arranging
                    crash space. So if anyone is interested just contact me at sauerm@...
                    adn we can work out the details.

                    Conrad

                    P.S. I plan to be at you picnic on the 25th with armor and dance music!
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 8, 2008
                      Just a reminder that Coronation will be this weekend. We will discuss loaner garb, car pooling, etc. at the meeting, but I thought I would remind everyone and provide the URL for the event. It is $8 for members and $11 for non members. Camping is free and there are NO cabins left to rent. If you are planning on camping bring food and bedding for cold weather (you never know what the temperature will be). If you have any questions please ask here or bring it up at the meeting (if you have one, probably someone else does too).

                      In Service,
                      Ermenrich
                    • Debbie Sullentrup
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 9, 2008
                        do you have the url?

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 9, 2008
                          CRAP!  Yeah I do....

                          http://www.geocities.com/purplellamaboi/coronation50.html

                          From: Matthew Lagemann <mateoalanohombrealt opezold@yahoo. com>
                          To: SCA_Bellewode@ yahoogroups. com
                          Date: Monday, September 8, 2008, 9:47 PM

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 19, 2009
                            Hey losers who did not go to Coronation!
                            Let me just tell you: It was *awesome*. Well, except for opening court, because that did sort of drag on for over two hours, but other than that it was great. Their Majesties seem like really nice and awesome people; feast was the best I've ever had (only two dishes I did not care for! And I brought leftovers home, muahahaha)...

                            Oh! And the most exciting part!
                            Of seven people who went to Coronation, 2 of them were newbies and 1 was Albrecht who has never been to an event other than ours. The remaining 4 are now ALL ladies! Yes indeedy, Ceolwyn, Eria, Rhiannon and myself were all awarded Arms for pretty much being badass recruitment ninjas. We pwned closing court you guys. It was like "We invite Eria of Bellewode to approach the throne!.......*announce a few other awards*......We invite Rhiannon of Bellewode to approach the throne! ......*announce a few other things* .........We invite Isabella Caresini etc etc BTW you guys, she is from Bellewode  ......... *other business, etc* We invite Ceolwyn of Bellewode--*possible thoughts of the populace: WTF Bellewode, are you ALL getting elevated today???*"

                            So yes. I was so squirmy with glee for all of us--you guys totally deserved it! Thanks so much for all your help, my ladies! =DD

                            Lovelove,
                            Lady Isabella

                            PS. Oh yeah, you heard me. Look at that honorific. Look at it. :D It's awesome. WE are awesome. All of Bellewode is awesome. Wouldn't you agree, Lady Ceolwyn?

                            PPS. If just one of us had gotten an award, I think it would warrant a "Yay! Congratulations!!"  but since ALL FOUR OF US got 'em on the same day in the same court within ten minutes of each other, I think we should have a shindig! With cupcakes and party hats! Something that is like "yay! Congratulations"  to the fourth power. How about it, Bellewode? :D

                            PPPS. Oh my god you guys feast was beautiful. Inn kind of...was not beautiful, though--I really did not care for the beef soup, but they had really reaaaaaaaaally good bread.
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 20, 2009
                              Congratulations to all those who received their AoAs.  I wish I could have been there.

                              Please remember that we will have an armor day today at 3 pm, my place.  If you need directions call 60-988-3702

                            • Justin Crouch (Leonardus O)
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 20, 2009
                                Just fyi...thats 660*
                                lol

                                Tardis
                                di vos incolumes custodiant

                                For Kingdom, For Brothers, For Lovers, it is for these that I fight. It is for them that I die.