Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

Expand Messages
  • Alexandra Rowland
    Lord Eoin-- Our first meeting will be this Thursday, 6:00 on the quad. For further information, please be sure to check the forum--we re trying to phase out
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 23, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Lord Eoin--
      Our first meeting will be this Thursday, 6:00 on the quad. For further information, please be sure to check the forum--we're trying to phase out the email list. (http://ssmc.truman.edu)

      --Isabella

      On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM, eric tillotson <jetdragon69@...> wrote:
       

      Any idea on when meeting are going to be starting up for the year? Eppie and I are finally to the point where life is settling back down where we would like to start playing again and look forward to working with Bellewode.

      Ld Eoin Macrae, (insert alphabet soup here)

      --- On Tue, 7/27/10, Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...> wrote:

      From: Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...>

      Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?
      To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 12:18 PM


       

      Greetings Roberto,

      I will be the new seneschal for Bellewode. I haven't yet formally signed up, but will do that tonight. 
      I can be reached either at this email or at bsmithmabndell@ yahoo.com.  Home phone # is 660 665 6781. Work phone is 660 785 4525. I have a cell phone but it is often not on.

      Gillian atta Wode
      (Barbara Smith-Mandell)


      On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:

       

      Could I get an email address for the new seneschal?

       

      I can be reached at pretzelbear (@) everestkc (.) net

       

      Had a Kingdom officer ask me about it and I want to make sure I pass along accurate information.

       

      Thanks.

       

      -Roberto





    • Chris Lewis
      I would strongly recommend keeping the list over a forum. There are a _lot_ of former Bellewode residents who love to keep in touch, and like to be available
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 23, 2010
      • 0 Attachment

        I would strongly recommend keeping the list over a forum.

         

        There are a _lot_ of former Bellewode residents who love to keep in touch, and like to be available for any needs that can arise, who do not have time to be on a Forum. 

         

        I would hate, personally, to fall out of touch with such a great group of people just because life has so many demands that making time to sit down and join a forum – and subsequently remember to check in on it to keep up with what the group is doing.

         

        -Roberto

         

        From: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexandra Rowland
        Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 1:28 PM
        To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

         

         

        Lord Eoin--
        Our first meeting will be this Thursday, 6:00 on the quad. For further information, please be sure to check the forum--we're trying to phase out the email list. (http://ssmc.truman.edu)

        --Isabella

        On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM, eric tillotson <jetdragon69@...> wrote:

         

        Any idea on when meeting are going to be starting up for the year? Eppie and I are finally to the point where life is settling back down where we would like to start playing again and look forward to working with Bellewode.

         

        Ld Eoin Macrae, (insert alphabet soup here)

        --- On Tue, 7/27/10, Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...> wrote:


        From: Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...>


        Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?
        To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 12:18 PM

         

         

        Greetings Roberto,

        I will be the new seneschal for Bellewode. I haven't yet formally signed up, but will do that tonight. 

        I can be reached either at this email or at bsmithmabndell@ yahoo.com.  Home phone # is 660 665 6781. Work phone is 660 785 4525. I have a cell phone but it is often not on.

         

        Gillian atta Wode

        (Barbara Smith-Mandell)

         

         

        On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:



         

         

        Could I get an email address for the new seneschal?

         

        I can be reached at pretzelbear (@) everestkc (.) net

         

        Had a Kingdom officer ask me about it and I want to make sure I pass along accurate information.

         

        Thanks.

         

        -Roberto

         

         

         

      • Alexandra Rowland
        Thanks for your input! :) We spent a long time discussing it and thinking about all the possible pros and cons for both the list and the forum. Eventually,
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 23, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          Thanks for your input! :) We spent a long time discussing it and thinking about all the possible pros and cons for both the list and the forum. Eventually, however, we decided that a forum better suits our present needs and desires. We realized that the forum would be a little extra effort to check, but we felt that the benefits (organization of topics, ease of following discussions or finding answers to old questions, etc) far outweighed the drawbacks.

           Any friends of Bellewode are of course welcome to join! It's been up and running since March, and I think we're all really happy with it so far.

          --Lady Isabella Caresini
          Chatelaine


          On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Chris Lewis <pretzelbear@...> wrote:
           

          I would strongly recommend keeping the list over a forum.

           

          There are a _lot_ of former Bellewode residents who love to keep in touch, and like to be available for any needs that can arise, who do not have time to be on a Forum. 

           

          I would hate, personally, to fall out of touch with such a great group of people just because life has so many demands that making time to sit down and join a forum – and subsequently remember to check in on it to keep up with what the group is doing.

           

          -Roberto

           

          From: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexandra Rowland
          Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 1:28 PM


          To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

           

           

          Lord Eoin--
          Our first meeting will be this Thursday, 6:00 on the quad. For further information, please be sure to check the forum--we're trying to phase out the email list. (http://ssmc.truman.edu)

          --Isabella

          On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM, eric tillotson <jetdragon69@...> wrote:

           

          Any idea on when meeting are going to be starting up for the year? Eppie and I are finally to the point where life is settling back down where we would like to start playing again and look forward to working with Bellewode.

           

          Ld Eoin Macrae, (insert alphabet soup here)

          --- On Tue, 7/27/10, Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...> wrote:


          From: Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...>


          Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?
          To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 12:18 PM

           

           

          Greetings Roberto,

          I will be the new seneschal for Bellewode. I haven't yet formally signed up, but will do that tonight. 

          I can be reached either at this email or at bsmithmabndell@ yahoo.com.  Home phone # is 660 665 6781. Work phone is 660 785 4525. I have a cell phone but it is often not on.

           

          Gillian atta Wode

          (Barbara Smith-Mandell)

           

           

          On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:



           

           

          Could I get an email address for the new seneschal?

           

          I can be reached at pretzelbear (@) everestkc (.) net

           

          Had a Kingdom officer ask me about it and I want to make sure I pass along accurate information.

           

          Thanks.

           

          -Roberto

           

           

           


        • Chris Lewis
          Alas, I have a very busy schedule, and the benefit to mailing lists is that for those of us who use Outlook and pop mail (an IT standard), my mail comes in,
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 23, 2010
          • 0 Attachment

            Alas, I have a very busy schedule, and the benefit to mailing lists is that for those of us who use Outlook and pop mail (an IT standard), my mail comes in, and the only effort I take is to check it.

             

            I understand that while College Students, the forum format works very well.  I am sad to say that the email list will be the way I keep track of Bellewode, so I will be disappointed in not being able to keep tabs, but anything that comes here will still come across my email.

             

            Also, at this time I I have no knowledge  of the Forum as an SCA standard for communications, so if someone is acting as Webminister, that might be a good thing to check on (trying to be helpful).

             

            But please do not forget, you do have local Kirksville residents who really do want to participate and play.  I know Frosti, Eoin and Eppie are all still local and would love to be involved.  Local residents can be a very powerful resource, even if it means adjusting meeting times so that they can make it.  The experience they bring can be very deep – especially someone who has been playing in the SCA for 20 years as Lord Eoin has been.

             

            Good luck with the school year, and I hope all recruitment efforts are stellar.

             

            -Roberto

             

            From: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexandra Rowland
            Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 4:20 PM
            To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

             

             

            Thanks for your input! :) We spent a long time discussing it and thinking about all the possible pros and cons for both the list and the forum. Eventually, however, we decided that a forum better suits our present needs and desires. We realized that the forum would be a little extra effort to check, but we felt that the benefits (organization of topics, ease of following discussions or finding answers to old questions, etc) far outweighed the drawbacks.

             Any friends of Bellewode are of course welcome to join! It's been up and running since March, and I think we're all really happy with it so far.

            --Lady Isabella Caresini
            Chatelaine

            On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Chris Lewis <pretzelbear@...> wrote:

             

            I would strongly recommend keeping the list over a forum.

             

            There are a _lot_ of former Bellewode residents who love to keep in touch, and like to be available for any needs that can arise, who do not have time to be on a Forum. 

             

            I would hate, personally, to fall out of touch with such a great group of people just because life has so many demands that making time to sit down and join a forum – and subsequently remember to check in on it to keep up with what the group is doing.

             

            -Roberto

             

            From: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexandra Rowland
            Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 1:28 PM


            To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

             

             

            Lord Eoin--
            Our first meeting will be this Thursday, 6:00 on the quad. For further information, please be sure to check the forum--we're trying to phase out the email list. (http://ssmc.truman.edu)

            --Isabella

            On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM, eric tillotson <jetdragon69@...> wrote:

             

            Any idea on when meeting are going to be starting up for the year? Eppie and I are finally to the point where life is settling back down where we would like to start playing again and look forward to working with Bellewode.

             

            Ld Eoin Macrae, (insert alphabet soup here)

            --- On Tue, 7/27/10, Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...> wrote:


            From: Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...>


            Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?
            To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com

            Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 12:18 PM

             

             

            Greetings Roberto,

            I will be the new seneschal for Bellewode. I haven't yet formally signed up, but will do that tonight. 

            I can be reached either at this email or at bsmithmabndell@ yahoo.com.  Home phone # is 660 665 6781. Work phone is 660 785 4525. I have a cell phone but it is often not on.

             

            Gillian atta Wode

            (Barbara Smith-Mandell)

             

             

            On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:

             

             

             

            Could I get an email address for the new seneschal?

             

            I can be reached at pretzelbear (@) everestkc (.) net

             

            Had a Kingdom officer ask me about it and I want to make sure I pass along accurate information.

             

            Thanks.

             

            -Roberto

             

             

             

             

          • Anne McKinney
            The group I am currently active in toyed with the idea of using a forum last fall, but it was abandoned because there was no notification system to let people
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 23, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              The group I am currently active in toyed with the idea of using a forum last fall, but it was abandoned because there was no notification system to let people know when new messages had been posted. Like Roberto, I, too, have been following this mailing list (though I only went to the forums once and then forgot about them) and would like to see it continue. Of course, the current group members need to go with what works best for themselves. :-)

              To my knowledge there is no rule in SCA Corpora that says a group HAS to use a mailing list for communication. As long as the group's website gives contact information for a representative of the group, and gives a link to whatever forum is being used, that should be enough.

              However, if I may make a suggestion, it would be nice to have some outward communication of announcements for those of us who are not checking the forum site every day. If you want to phase out this mailing list, a blog would allow people to subscribe to an RSS feed. Alternately, Google Groups has some nice advantages over Yahoogroups.

              Our group has also considered moving to Google Groups, and we may someday -- but we still have our calendar connected to Yahoogroups. This setup has let us send email reminders for meetings and officer report deadlines. If we can encourage our folks to move to Google, that calendar can be embedded onto our website for even better information sharing.

              Good luck with what you are doing! It's been a few years but I still have fond memories of Bellewode. It would be nice to continue to hear great things from you!

              YiS,

              Sofya Chyudskaya Smolyanina
              now in the Shire of Wurm Wald, Midrealm


              On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Chris Lewis <pretzelbear@...> wrote:


              Alas, I have a very busy schedule, and the benefit to mailing lists is that for those of us who use Outlook and pop mail (an IT standard), my mail comes in, and the only effort I take is to check it.

               

              I understand that while College Students, the forum format works very well.  I am sad to say that the email list will be the way I keep track of Bellewode, so I will be disappointed in not being able to keep tabs, but anything that comes here will still come across my email.

               

              Also, at this time I I have no knowledge  of the Forum as an SCA standard for communications, so if someone is acting as Webminister, that might be a good thing to check on (trying to be helpful).

               

              But please do not forget, you do have local Kirksville residents who really do want to participate and play.  I know Frosti, Eoin and Eppie are all still local and would love to be involved.  Local residents can be a very powerful resource, even if it means adjusting meeting times so that they can make it.  The experience they bring can be very deep – especially someone who has been playing in the SCA for 20 years as Lord Eoin has been.

               

              Good luck with the school year, and I hope all recruitment efforts are stellar.

               

              -Roberto

               

              From: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexandra Rowland
              Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 4:20 PM


              To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

               

               

              Thanks for your input! :) We spent a long time discussing it and thinking about all the possible pros and cons for both the list and the forum. Eventually, however, we decided that a forum better suits our present needs and desires. We realized that the forum would be a little extra effort to check, but we felt that the benefits (organization of topics, ease of following discussions or finding answers to old questions, etc) far outweighed the drawbacks.

               Any friends of Bellewode are of course welcome to join! It's been up and running since March, and I think we're all really happy with it so far.

              --Lady Isabella Caresini
              Chatelaine

              On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Chris Lewis <pretzelbear@...> wrote:

               

              I would strongly recommend keeping the list over a forum.

               

              There are a _lot_ of former Bellewode residents who love to keep in touch, and like to be available for any needs that can arise, who do not have time to be on a Forum. 

               

              I would hate, personally, to fall out of touch with such a great group of people just because life has so many demands that making time to sit down and join a forum – and subsequently remember to check in on it to keep up with what the group is doing.

               

              -Roberto

               

              From: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexandra Rowland
              Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 1:28 PM


              To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

               

               

              Lord Eoin--
              Our first meeting will be this Thursday, 6:00 on the quad. For further information, please be sure to check the forum--we're trying to phase out the email list. (http://ssmc.truman.edu)

              --Isabella

              On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM, eric tillotson <jetdragon69@...> wrote:

               

              Any idea on when meeting are going to be starting up for the year? Eppie and I are finally to the point where life is settling back down where we would like to start playing again and look forward to working with Bellewode.

               

              Ld Eoin Macrae, (insert alphabet soup here)

              --- On Tue, 7/27/10, Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...> wrote:


              From: Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...>


              Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?
              To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com

              Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 12:18 PM

               

               

              Greetings Roberto,

              I will be the new seneschal for Bellewode. I haven't yet formally signed up, but will do that tonight. 

              I can be reached either at this email or at bsmithmabndell@ yahoo.com.  Home phone # is 660 665 6781. Work phone is 660 785 4525. I have a cell phone but it is often not on.

               

              Gillian atta Wode

              (Barbara Smith-Mandell)

               

               

              On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:

               

               

               

              Could I get an email address for the new seneschal?

               

              I can be reached at pretzelbear (@) everestkc (.) net

               

              Had a Kingdom officer ask me about it and I want to make sure I pass along accurate information.

               

              Thanks.

               

              -Roberto

               

               

               

               




            • Alexandra Rowland
              Once again, thank you for your input! :) I imagine that we may continue to use the mailing list for large and important or urgent announcements (for example,
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 23, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                Once again, thank you for your input! :) I imagine that we may continue to use the mailing list for large and important or urgent announcements (for example, things relating to our Symposium, such as requests for teachers and classes, but undoubtedly you will see those on other mailing lists as well), but our day-to-day communication and decision making about internal affairs will definitely be through the private, current-Bellewodian-only section of the forum, not this mailing list. As I said before, this is what we--as a group--decided would best suit our needs.

                Thanks especially for the suggestion about a blog, Lady Sofya. That's a very interesting idea. If we ever get enough members to have a Chronicler, that would probably be his/her jurisdiction, no? On the other hand, I can't imagine that our doings are THAT interesting. I know I wouldn't want to read some group's weekly updates about their every tiny decision--probably wouldn't make for a very thrilling blog! It would probably be a much more interesting and helpful tool with a larger group, but I think our forum is serving the purpose quite tidily.

                Roberto--We checked with the Kingdom Webminister already; everything is fine. :)
                We've actually got a few members of the community involved, including our current seneschal, Gillian, and her family. :) Frosti shows up every now and then and, as you can see in the previous emails, Eoin and Eppie are interested in getting involved again. We're very glad to have them. I'm not sure what this has to do with the forum, though...? Maybe I'm missing something... =/
                Anyhow, I'm terribly sorry to hear that you won't have the time to keep up with the forum. We certainly didn't intend to inconvenience anyone in this way.

                Thanks again,
                Lady Isabella Caresini

                On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Anne McKinney <annemckinn@...> wrote:
                 

                The group I am currently active in toyed with the idea of using a forum last fall, but it was abandoned because there was no notification system to let people know when new messages had been posted. Like Roberto, I, too, have been following this mailing list (though I only went to the forums once and then forgot about them) and would like to see it continue. Of course, the current group members need to go with what works best for themselves. :-)

                To my knowledge there is no rule in SCA Corpora that says a group HAS to use a mailing list for communication. As long as the group's website gives contact information for a representative of the group, and gives a link to whatever forum is being used, that should be enough.

                However, if I may make a suggestion, it would be nice to have some outward communication of announcements for those of us who are not checking the forum site every day. If you want to phase out this mailing list, a blog would allow people to subscribe to an RSS feed. Alternately, Google Groups has some nice advantages over Yahoogroups.

                Our group has also considered moving to Google Groups, and we may someday -- but we still have our calendar connected to Yahoogroups. This setup has let us send email reminders for meetings and officer report deadlines. If we can encourage our folks to move to Google, that calendar can be embedded onto our website for even better information sharing.

                Good luck with what you are doing! It's been a few years but I still have fond memories of Bellewode. It would be nice to continue to hear great things from you!

                YiS,

                Sofya Chyudskaya Smolyanina
                now in the Shire of Wurm Wald, Midrealm




                On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Chris Lewis <pretzelbear@...> wrote:


                Alas, I have a very busy schedule, and the benefit to mailing lists is that for those of us who use Outlook and pop mail (an IT standard), my mail comes in, and the only effort I take is to check it.

                 

                I understand that while College Students, the forum format works very well.  I am sad to say that the email list will be the way I keep track of Bellewode, so I will be disappointed in not being able to keep tabs, but anything that comes here will still come across my email.

                 

                Also, at this time I I have no knowledge  of the Forum as an SCA standard for communications, so if someone is acting as Webminister, that might be a good thing to check on (trying to be helpful).

                 

                But please do not forget, you do have local Kirksville residents who really do want to participate and play.  I know Frosti, Eoin and Eppie are all still local and would love to be involved.  Local residents can be a very powerful resource, even if it means adjusting meeting times so that they can make it.  The experience they bring can be very deep – especially someone who has been playing in the SCA for 20 years as Lord Eoin has been.

                 

                Good luck with the school year, and I hope all recruitment efforts are stellar.

                 

                -Roberto

                 

                From: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexandra Rowland
                Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 4:20 PM


                To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

                 

                 

                Thanks for your input! :) We spent a long time discussing it and thinking about all the possible pros and cons for both the list and the forum. Eventually, however, we decided that a forum better suits our present needs and desires. We realized that the forum would be a little extra effort to check, but we felt that the benefits (organization of topics, ease of following discussions or finding answers to old questions, etc) far outweighed the drawbacks.

                 Any friends of Bellewode are of course welcome to join! It's been up and running since March, and I think we're all really happy with it so far.

                --Lady Isabella Caresini
                Chatelaine

                On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Chris Lewis <pretzelbear@...> wrote:

                 

                I would strongly recommend keeping the list over a forum.

                 

                There are a _lot_ of former Bellewode residents who love to keep in touch, and like to be available for any needs that can arise, who do not have time to be on a Forum. 

                 

                I would hate, personally, to fall out of touch with such a great group of people just because life has so many demands that making time to sit down and join a forum – and subsequently remember to check in on it to keep up with what the group is doing.

                 

                -Roberto

                 

                From: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexandra Rowland
                Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 1:28 PM


                To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

                 

                 

                Lord Eoin--
                Our first meeting will be this Thursday, 6:00 on the quad. For further information, please be sure to check the forum--we're trying to phase out the email list. (http://ssmc.truman.edu)

                --Isabella

                On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM, eric tillotson <jetdragon69@...> wrote:

                 

                Any idea on when meeting are going to be starting up for the year? Eppie and I are finally to the point where life is settling back down where we would like to start playing again and look forward to working with Bellewode.

                 

                Ld Eoin Macrae, (insert alphabet soup here)

                --- On Tue, 7/27/10, Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...> wrote:


                From: Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...>


                Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?
                To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 12:18 PM

                 

                 

                Greetings Roberto,

                I will be the new seneschal for Bellewode. I haven't yet formally signed up, but will do that tonight. 

                I can be reached either at this email or at bsmithmabndell@ yahoo.com.  Home phone # is 660 665 6781. Work phone is 660 785 4525. I have a cell phone but it is often not on.

                 

                Gillian atta Wode

                (Barbara Smith-Mandell)

                 

                 

                On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:

                 

                 

                 

                Could I get an email address for the new seneschal?

                 

                I can be reached at pretzelbear (@) everestkc (.) net

                 

                Had a Kingdom officer ask me about it and I want to make sure I pass along accurate information.

                 

                Thanks.

                 

                -Roberto

                 

                 

                 

                 





              • Anne McKinney
                Lady Isabella, There s no need to be sorry -- as someone who helped found Bellewode I m happy to see that there is an active bunch of people who have kept it
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 23, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  Lady Isabella,

                  There's no need to be sorry -- as someone who helped found Bellewode I'm happy to see that there is an active bunch of people who have kept it running! :-)

                  In our group we had a blog for a while, but when our chronicler's life got busy it sort of fizzled out. So, in theory it was set up for anyone to share announcements be fell apart without an active officer keeping it going. We do have several active wikis on pbworks, and those have been very flexible for various needs (and they send out notifications ;-)). The shire wiki and combat wiki are publicly viewable but only members can edit; private wikis are for event planning. http://www.wurmwald.pbworks.com

                  It sounds like you are doing well with the forum for internal communication, however, so I wouldn't suggest fixing it! While I can't speak for Roberto, I'm following more SCA communities than I can count, along with work and facebook and other sites I check into. My philosophy is that the fewer individual sites I have to visit, the easier it is to stay connected. I can remember to check my email, Facebook, and Google reader -- anything beyond that is likely to get forgotten in the shuffle!

                  So, if this list will continue to send out announcements that is likely to be very helpful to people who aren't likely to be on your forum regularly, but who would be interested in knowing what's going on in your group and possibly helping out. I'm also the seneschal for my group, and the seneschal's email is subscribed to about 5-6 lists for neighboring groups in digest (in addition to theme-based communities in A&S for my personal interests...). From a regional perspective it's helpful to know what other groups are facing, and offer help with events or a private pat on the back if another officer needs it. I rarely read every message, but I can look at the subject list in digest and get a quick idea what's up. Again, I'm not trying to get you to change what you're doing, but just offer another perspective on why people might favor email communication. There might be other regional Calontiri seneschals on this list, too. :-)

                  Anyway, congratulations on your new and returning members! May Bellewode continue to thrive and be strong!

                  YiS,

                  Sofya


                  On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Alexandra Rowland <ajr1643@...> wrote:


                  Once again, thank you for your input! :) I imagine that we may continue to use the mailing list for large and important or urgent announcements (for example, things relating to our Symposium, such as requests for teachers and classes, but undoubtedly you will see those on other mailing lists as well), but our day-to-day communication and decision making about internal affairs will definitely be through the private, current-Bellewodian-only section of the forum, not this mailing list. As I said before, this is what we--as a group--decided would best suit our needs.

                  Thanks especially for the suggestion about a blog, Lady Sofya. That's a very interesting idea. If we ever get enough members to have a Chronicler, that would probably be his/her jurisdiction, no? On the other hand, I can't imagine that our doings are THAT interesting. I know I wouldn't want to read some group's weekly updates about their every tiny decision--probably wouldn't make for a very thrilling blog! It would probably be a much more interesting and helpful tool with a larger group, but I think our forum is serving the purpose quite tidily.

                  Roberto--We checked with the Kingdom Webminister already; everything is fine. :)
                  We've actually got a few members of the community involved, including our current seneschal, Gillian, and her family. :) Frosti shows up every now and then and, as you can see in the previous emails, Eoin and Eppie are interested in getting involved again. We're very glad to have them. I'm not sure what this has to do with the forum, though...? Maybe I'm missing something... =/
                  Anyhow, I'm terribly sorry to hear that you won't have the time to keep up with the forum. We certainly didn't intend to inconvenience anyone in this way.

                  Thanks again,
                  Lady Isabella Caresini


                  On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Anne McKinney <annemckinn@...> wrote:
                   

                  The group I am currently active in toyed with the idea of using a forum last fall, but it was abandoned because there was no notification system to let people know when new messages had been posted. Like Roberto, I, too, have been following this mailing list (though I only went to the forums once and then forgot about them) and would like to see it continue. Of course, the current group members need to go with what works best for themselves. :-)

                  To my knowledge there is no rule in SCA Corpora that says a group HAS to use a mailing list for communication. As long as the group's website gives contact information for a representative of the group, and gives a link to whatever forum is being used, that should be enough.

                  However, if I may make a suggestion, it would be nice to have some outward communication of announcements for those of us who are not checking the forum site every day. If you want to phase out this mailing list, a blog would allow people to subscribe to an RSS feed. Alternately, Google Groups has some nice advantages over Yahoogroups.

                  Our group has also considered moving to Google Groups, and we may someday -- but we still have our calendar connected to Yahoogroups. This setup has let us send email reminders for meetings and officer report deadlines. If we can encourage our folks to move to Google, that calendar can be embedded onto our website for even better information sharing.

                  Good luck with what you are doing! It's been a few years but I still have fond memories of Bellewode. It would be nice to continue to hear great things from you!

                  YiS,

                  Sofya Chyudskaya Smolyanina
                  now in the Shire of Wurm Wald, Midrealm




                  On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Chris Lewis <pretzelbear@...> wrote:


                  Alas, I have a very busy schedule, and the benefit to mailing lists is that for those of us who use Outlook and pop mail (an IT standard), my mail comes in, and the only effort I take is to check it.

                   

                  I understand that while College Students, the forum format works very well.  I am sad to say that the email list will be the way I keep track of Bellewode, so I will be disappointed in not being able to keep tabs, but anything that comes here will still come across my email.

                   

                  Also, at this time I I have no knowledge  of the Forum as an SCA standard for communications, so if someone is acting as Webminister, that might be a good thing to check on (trying to be helpful).

                   

                  But please do not forget, you do have local Kirksville residents who really do want to participate and play.  I know Frosti, Eoin and Eppie are all still local and would love to be involved.  Local residents can be a very powerful resource, even if it means adjusting meeting times so that they can make it.  The experience they bring can be very deep – especially someone who has been playing in the SCA for 20 years as Lord Eoin has been.

                   

                  Good luck with the school year, and I hope all recruitment efforts are stellar.

                   

                  -Roberto

                   

                  From: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexandra Rowland
                  Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 4:20 PM


                  To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

                   

                   

                  Thanks for your input! :) We spent a long time discussing it and thinking about all the possible pros and cons for both the list and the forum. Eventually, however, we decided that a forum better suits our present needs and desires. We realized that the forum would be a little extra effort to check, but we felt that the benefits (organization of topics, ease of following discussions or finding answers to old questions, etc) far outweighed the drawbacks.

                   Any friends of Bellewode are of course welcome to join! It's been up and running since March, and I think we're all really happy with it so far.

                  --Lady Isabella Caresini
                  Chatelaine

                  On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Chris Lewis <pretzelbear@...> wrote:

                   

                  I would strongly recommend keeping the list over a forum.

                   

                  There are a _lot_ of former Bellewode residents who love to keep in touch, and like to be available for any needs that can arise, who do not have time to be on a Forum. 

                   

                  I would hate, personally, to fall out of touch with such a great group of people just because life has so many demands that making time to sit down and join a forum – and subsequently remember to check in on it to keep up with what the group is doing.

                   

                  -Roberto

                   

                  From: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexandra Rowland
                  Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 1:28 PM


                  To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

                   

                   

                  Lord Eoin--
                  Our first meeting will be this Thursday, 6:00 on the quad. For further information, please be sure to check the forum--we're trying to phase out the email list. (http://ssmc.truman.edu)

                  --Isabella

                  On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM, eric tillotson <jetdragon69@...> wrote:

                   

                  Any idea on when meeting are going to be starting up for the year? Eppie and I are finally to the point where life is settling back down where we would like to start playing again and look forward to working with Bellewode.

                   

                  Ld Eoin Macrae, (insert alphabet soup here)

                  --- On Tue, 7/27/10, Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...> wrote:


                  From: Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...>


                  Subject: Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?
                  To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com

                  Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 12:18 PM

                   

                   

                  Greetings Roberto,

                  I will be the new seneschal for Bellewode. I haven't yet formally signed up, but will do that tonight. 

                  I can be reached either at this email or at bsmithmabndell@ yahoo.com.  Home phone # is 660 665 6781. Work phone is 660 785 4525. I have a cell phone but it is often not on.

                   

                  Gillian atta Wode

                  (Barbara Smith-Mandell)

                   

                   

                  On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:

                   

                   

                   

                  Could I get an email address for the new seneschal?

                   

                  I can be reached at pretzelbear (@) everestkc (.) net

                   

                  Had a Kingdom officer ask me about it and I want to make sure I pass along accurate information.

                   

                  Thanks.

                   

                  -Roberto

                   

                   

                   

                   








                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.