RPG event

  • bsmithmandell
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2010
      People have made many good points about different objectives of the two groups, and the need to protect personal property. But it's also a good point that there is overlap between peoples' interests and the need to get along with other groups.

      So let's think about this--since apparently the RPG wants to set up a village-type of arrangement, we (the College of Bellwode) could be the "college/university" in the village. As teachers and students in the college, we would be showing what we have learned about the middle ages. This could include a display and/or demonstrations. We could also include an informational poster/brochure about our group and explain some of the "what we do/what we don't do." For example:

      What we do: create a character who could plausibly have lived in the middle ages
      What we don't do: reenact actual historical figures or characters from fictional works; and you don't have to be a serf if you don't want to

      What we do: fight using rattan weapons and padded safety equipment
      What we don't do: bleed (much), lose limbs, die of sword wounds

      What we do: participate in tournaments and regional "wars" between different "kingdoms"
      What we don't do: recreate battles or wars that actually happened; die in battle

      What we do: medieval arts and crafts, like music and dancing, archery, basketry, making clothing, weaving, and woodcrafts
      What we don't do: shun people who can't carry a tune or have two left feet, or those who use sewing machines, store-bought arrows, power tools, and other modern conveniences to create medieval-style crafts

      What we do: learn about medieval cookery, like cheese-making, bread-making, etc.
      What we don't do: make foods that sound awful to the modern palate; avoid chocolate because they didn't have it in the middle ages

      What we do: use modern conveniences like plumbing at our events
      What we don't do: get dysentery, cholera, the pox, and the plague

      What we do: have lots of fun
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2010
        "we (the College of Bellwode) could be the "college/university" in the village."

        Gillian! :D That's such a great idea! Why didn't you mention that at the meeting? :)

        --Isabella

        On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM, bsmithmandell <bsm@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Barbara Smith-Mandell

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2010
            Yeah, that's what I was thinking! =D I think that would be a good way to decorate and put a theme onto our campsite to fit in with the rest of the event.

            (BTW, it was Kasha's idea, not mine! ^_^)

            Anyway, thanks again, Gillian!

            --Isabella