Misc.

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2010
      Well everyone the event went splendid.  I had so many people compliment us.  Included was Master Owain (one of the nicest guys you can meet) who wanted to thank everyone from Bellewode who helped him with TRHs thrones.  He said you made his work ten times easier and wanted me to pass along his thanks.

      The ball was a great success as well, and I was so glad to see everyone on the dance floor!  You all seemd to be having a great time, and that is what it is all about.

      Also congratulations to Leonardus and Albrecht for their AoAs.  They were well deserved and added to the total number of Bellewodians who were given awards by this reign (I think the count is now 7!).

      And of course a huge thank you from me.  I could not have ran this event without the help that was given so freely by all of you.  You proved that many hands make light work.

      I did want to discuss one thing before our next business meeting (this Thursday).  The RPG club would like us to participate in their "Renn Faire" day.  We have always had close connections to the club (including some founding members of the RPG club being in the SCA).  I think it would be a great opportunity.  That being said, they seem to have an idea of doing fantasy.  I like this idea for their club, but it does not mix well with what we do.  My suggestion is that we participate, but we make sure that our part is separate so people understand what we do.  What are people's thoughts?  I think some people from the RPG club will be by this Thursday.

      Ermenrich

    • Barbara Smith-Mandell

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2010
          I went to one of the RPG club meetings a few weeks ago, and at that time they seemed to be interested in having SCA people create an "artisans district," giving us a chance to show off some of our arts and sciences.  That might have changed though, I think some other ideas were being tossed around.

          My feeling is that rather than advertising at their event "we are the SCA and this is exactly what we do all the time" we ought to be clear that this is the RPG club, we happen to have interests and skills that are pretty cool, be friends with the RPG club, and for people interested in more historical stuff we have a group here that does that.

          -Eira
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2010
            I agree with Eira. I think the artisan's district would be a cool idea, though, and it would definitely give us a chance to show some concrete examples of the differences between Renfaire and SCA.

            This is probably kind of demanding of me, and perhaps I'm way out of line here, but do you think we might be able to get them to step a little bit away from the "Renfaire" idea? To be totally honest, I feel kind of scared and threatened by the idea, and I think that it would attract the wrong sort of people.

            I, personally, would feel much more confident about things if we had a "Renaissance Village"  rather than a "Renfaire"... Also, as Chatelaine, I have to remind you guys that it's a Bad Thing to blur the distinction between SCA and Renfaires during advertising... Remember that any flyers that we do for the event have to be approved by the Kingdom Chatelaine.

            One solution I have for my misgivings is to reserve two parts of the quad that are bisected by the East-West sidewalk. Then we could have the RPG on one side and the SCA on the other, and while we would still appear and function as one whole cool event, there would be a very clear boundary line between the fanciful camp and the historical camp. Then at the end of the day we would have a ball and everyone is happy and united! \o/

            Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

            --Isabella

            On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Allison Bannister <acb8251@...> wrote:

            I went to one of the RPG club meetings a few weeks ago, and at that time they seemed to be interested in having SCA people create an "artisans district," giving us a chance to show off some of our arts and sciences.  That might have changed though, I think some other ideas were being tossed around.

            My feeling is that rather than advertising at their event "we are the SCA and this is exactly what we do all the time" we ought to be clear that this is the RPG club, we happen to have interests and skills that are pretty cool, be friends with the RPG club, and for people interested in more historical stuff we have a group here that does that.

            -Eira

          • Justin Crouch (Leonardus O)
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2010

              This is probably kind of demanding of me, and perhaps I'm way out of line here, but do you think we might be able to get them to step a little bit away from the "Renfaire" idea? To be totally honest, I feel kind of scared and threatened by the idea, and I think that it would attract the wrong sort of people.

              Wrong sort of people? Aren't most SCA people (especially here at Bellewode) the same type of people who would be going to a renfair. After all, most SCA people I talk to outside of Bellewode also do gaming and many of the merchants also do RenFaires. Personally, I believe that if are going to sponsor our group, (another words say we are Bellewode through the SCA) then during that sponsor speech we would make sure that we don't do elves and magic. I don't think we should make them, or even try to get them to, change the name of it...just clearly state to the people who and what we are.
              Altho, I expect most of the people that will be there have already heard about us to the point that they know we are different.

              I, personally, would feel much more confident about things if we had a "Renaissance Village"  rather than a "Renfaire"... Also, as Chatelaine, I have to remind you guys that it's a Bad Thing to blur the distinction between SCA and Renfaires during advertising... Remember that any flyers that we do for the event have to be approved by the Kingdom Chatelaine.

              As far as the whole thing goes, this is there event not ours...so we wouldn't have to be getting things approved would we?

              One solution I have for my misgivings is to reserve two parts of the quad that are bisected by the East-West sidewalk. Then we could have the RPG on one side and the SCA on the other, and while we would still appear and function as one whole cool event, there would be a very clear boundary line between the fanciful camp and the historical camp. Then at the end of the day we would have a ball and everyone is happy and united! \o/

              I think separating from the RPG club like this would cause more strife than anything...it would make it seem like we don't want to be part of it by making a physical difference in who we are. However we could do something like Artisans Row and show as Gillian*?* said and show aspects of reality that are customarily seen in RPG type of things.

              Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth,
              Leonardus O