Post-Demo

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2009

      First of all, to everyone who volunteered these last few days: You guys... Just wow. You guys really blew my mind these past couple days. All the negativity, all the worries that I've been having for the past week or two were proved utterly and totally wrong. I was worried that people wouldn't show up to work the tents; I was worried none of the passers-by would be interested; I was worried it would rain all weekend... Man oh man, you guys, I don't know how to tell you how stupefied I am by your dedication, enthusiasm, and force of will. No matter how many hours you spent hauling the samples platter, or cajoling people to sign the email list, or reciting the spiel, whether you did it for two hours or twenty--I don't think I have the vocabulary necessary to express the breadth and intensity of my gratitude to each and every one of you all. I knew going into this that this job--as well as my duties as chatelaine--was not something I would be able to do on my own. From the set-up team who was right there on the spot even before *I* got to campus (that was the first of many wonderful surprises) to the tear-down team who showed up and most generously hauled stuff to Zhenya's van early on a Saturday morning, you all did a wonderful job and I cannot imagine a better team, or one that I'd rather have. That said, I'd like to mention two individuals who really went above and beyond the spirit of my request. They are as follows:

      Ceolwyn. Holy Jesus fucking Christ on a trisket. I've been telling her she's made of awesome for days and I still don't think I've really summarized how much she made a difference. If any of you didn't know, Ceolwyn was there pretty much every spare minute of her day. She was the delight of my heart--if Ceolwyn was there, I knew the camp was in good hands. Populace, your deputy seneschal is Good People. Indeed, if I may go so far, I will say she is Excellent People. She came up with good ideas way before I would have even noticed a way to improve things; she volunteered to do the very tedious job of typing up the (VERY extensive, more on this later) email list; she was active and energetic and as dedicated as I was hoping people would be. She was there to set up the camp; she was there to tear down. This morning, I woke up and she was already working on packing up the camp. And she hadn't even stayed the night out there! Asdfghjkl;!! It is so good to have someone as reliable as she is, especially when that someone shares your values--I believe Ceolwyn is brilliant; Ceolwyn believes I am a genius. Ceolwyn believes my genius should be spread throughout the world; so do I. This is pretty much a transcription of a conversation we *just had*. I love that girl. I hope we'll be friends for a long long long time. Because she is a jewel. She is simply priceless. If I had to pick someone to be my partner in crime, I would pick her. Oh my god. I could sing her praises all day. Ceolwyn, be the Sanada to my Yukimura!

      Eria. I have to admit, Eria was a huge surprise. We all know her as the very quiet one who sits to one side and is generally a very nice person who everyone likes, because how can you dislike someone so sweet and well-mannered? But did you know that behind that quiet and soft-spoken exterior lies innards of WIN? If I were giving out awards, Eria would get "The One Who Was Most Unexpectedly Awesome" award. I was not expecting her to be right out there in the middle of the crowd, offering samples in the busiest part of the day! Way to go, Eria! Two thumbs up! You rock so hard, my lady. Respect! So much respect!

      Everyone else--you all were fantastic beyond description too! Each of you, from Albrecht to Zhenya, contributed in the best way. Even if you never picked up the platter or shoved the email list practically down people's throats, you were THERE. You showed up. You may have cooked some truly amazing goodies. You may have delivered a most excellent lecture on Friday night. You added to the feel of the event, and for that, I thank you!

      Speaking of people that deserve thanks, Master Conrad drove up from Columbia not once but TWICE--he was here Friday night to refresh us on some dances, and then showed up AGAIN tonight and taught those dances at the merry shindig, for which I am unspeakably grateful, because I would have mucked them up all to hell and been very embarrassed later during a dancing night when some new member piped up, "But that's not how Isabella taught us..." So mad crazy incoherent appreciation for him! My poor dead brain and legs are so glad he was here! ;____;

      Also, I would like to announce that I'm forgiving Nassar for being a bum and *insert Jewish mother drama here, eg: he didn't write, he didn't call; does he not love us or what?* This is because he DID help us tear down camp this morning, which was really helpful. Thanks, Na-chan! We love you!

      Now that all that is said, I'm sure some of you are wondering what the final statistics were for this recruitment! Here they are!

      Total Names Collected: approximately 160
      Thursday Names: 116
      Friday Names: Between 40 and 50.
      Saturday Names: 1 (!!! :DDD)

      People who came to the Info Night: 8
      People who came to the Merry Shindig: 14
      Estimated Definite Members Spotted During Merry Shindig: 3
      Times Isabella went on a Crazy Rampage and Yelled at Everyone for Being Incompetent: 0 (World Record)
      People who are currently listening to the 1812 Overture to Celebrate Bellewode Taking Over the World: Isabella.
      Population of Awesomepants, MO (Ironpants County): Bellewode.
      Level of Isabella's Chillness in Hindsight: Surprisingly chill, considering! (Non-chillifying factors: There is a RIP in my TENT in the MIDDLE of one of the panels. Also, Ceolwyn's helm has disappeared, we discovered after packing up--not good! Keep your fingers crossed that Zhenya accidentally put it in the van or something.)

      So those are the Facts. I'm so proud of you all. Oh man you guys rock like super rocking things. Thank you so much for going along with my crazy elaborate scheme and working hard to make it work! This has been a mindblowingly fantastic experience.  The amount of cooperation and teamwork you guys have shown... I have full confidence in our ability to pull together and accomplish some truly fantastic things! Again, this would have been just another one of my crazy Ideas if it weren't for you guys. Next time, I will listen to Zhenya when he says it will all turn out fine.

      ;_______; It means so much to me that you guys did this. Just... Wow. *HUGS EVERYONE*

      Much affection,
      Isabella Caresini

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30, 2009
        Wow, that is most awesome news! Good job everyone! Makes me wish I was still local so I could help out. :) Many thanks to Conrad and Standing Stones for all their help over the years. Most of you probably don't know that when we were still an incipient shire they were our supporting group. They donated a lot of time and a lot of materials to get us going and still give of themselves a lot.

        Regarding the rip in the tent, don't fret! What better time to add some decoration using applique? On the inside slap a patch of canvas that doesn't look too bad to cover the hole. On the outside, put a canvas design that looks nice and covers the hole! Devices are popular if you have one, and are well suited to applique work. Or perhaps the Bellewode badge. You may have to handsew it if it's in an awkward spot but depending on how complex your work is you may have to do that anyway. If you can't procure heavy-enough cloth, use it as an excuse to learn dyeing and teach a demo!

        YIS
        Jacob the Singer

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 31, 2009
            Glad to be of help, slight correction to below. I meant to say 'heavy enough fabric of the correct color'.

            Jacob the Singer

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 31, 2009
              By the way, Jacob, you should know that I have chosen to carry on your legacy. I have already selected a newbie who I will pester about Lilies at every opportunity. Please wish me well!

              --Isabella

            • jwc1686@truman.edu
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 31, 2009
                which newbie?

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 31, 2009
                  Ali--the pretty one with the dark hair and the cool skirt. She may be too easy to convince, though. I'll keep my eye out for another one. XD

                  --Isabella

                  which newbie?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 31, 2009
                    Just make sure they're interested in SCA first. I think I waited till after the first event to make sure they were hooked a little before implanting earworms into their brains. :) Other than that, fully support taking new people to Lilies!

                    Jacob the Singer

                    Ali--the pretty one with the dark hair and the cool skirt. She may be too easy to convince, though. I'll keep my eye out for another one. XD

                    --Isabella

                    which newbie?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 31, 2009
                      Good to know your strategy. :D