OT: Looking for places in Kirksville

  • Justin Crouch
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 13, 2009
      Hello, all...I have seen this reach out to SCAdian family thing work, figured I would try it locally. I am looking to buy a house in Kirksville so I can move in after first semester...I found a PERFECT place, but it is being rented out till May of 2010, and I would need a place to stay during break, cause I could stay on campus 2nd semester...

      Basically what I am asking, is do any of you know any places that would be
      a) cheap to buy, but good...and close to campus
      b) cheap to rent for that small of time frame between Dec 09 to May '10

      Any other advice concerning this topic and Kirksville would be GREATLY appreciated.

      Leonardus O, aka Tardis, mka Justin
      di vos incolumes custodiant

      For Kingdom, For Brothers, For Lovers, it is for these that I fight. It is for them that I die.
    • Justin Crouch
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 13, 2009
        Also, what bank should I go through, I know Ermenrich, Kasha and Ufkil and a few others had a discussion suggestioning different ones, and ones to stay away from.

        Thanks,
        Leonardus O

        On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Justin Crouch <jwc1686@...> wrote:
        Hello, all...I have seen this reach out to SCAdian family thing work, figured I would try it locally. I am looking to buy a house in Kirksville so I can move in after first semester...I found a PERFECT place, but it is being rented out till May of 2010, and I would need a place to stay during break, cause I could stay on campus 2nd semester...

        Basically what I am asking, is do any of you know any places that would be
        a) cheap to buy, but good...and close to campus
        b) cheap to rent for that small of time frame between Dec 09 to May '10

        Any other advice concerning this topic and Kirksville would be GREATLY appreciated.

        Leonardus O, aka Tardis, mka Justin
        di vos incolumes custodiant

        For Kingdom, For Brothers, For Lovers, it is for these that I fight. It is for them that I die.

      • Nathanael Dollar
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 13, 2009
          I have had a good experience with the property concepts people (Jeffereson and Karlton apartments).  It might be hard to get an apartment in December from them, but they can check and see if any of their renters is graduating at semester.
          --Ewen MacCleary

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 13, 2009

              I found Bank Midwest to be the easiest bank to work with while in Kirksville.  And they have a good presence outside of town.

              -Roberto

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 13, 2009
                Dear Leonardis,

                Be ABSOLUTELY sure that purchasing a house is what you want to do.  In the Best of economic situations houses in Kirksville don't sell quickly.  Think about what will happen in three years when you graduate, will you conitnue to live in Kirksville while you wait for your house to sell?  Having experienced the process of purchasing and owning a house in Kirksville think very carefully about this decision before you go and buy a house.  Houses in Kirksville are very hit and miss.  Work with a Realtor to look at houses, don't do the work yourself.  Shop around for inspectors and hire the most reputable inspector in town to inspect the property before you buy.  And think about working to make the mortgage payment while attempting to complete you senior seminar.  Most college students struggle working for rent and managing thier capstone class.  Also, considering current economic conditions, the potential for losing your job unexpectedly make homebuying risky.  Be aware that if you buy a house you cannot afford it will make life very difficult long after the house is gone.  Esa and I will be struggleing to get credit anywhere for the next 5-10 years because of my house.  I realize there were alot of very specific things that when wrong in our lives all at once, but three years ago when i bought the house my situation was not that different from yours.  I thought buying a house would save on rent and build equity, It would give me some stability, i would be in charge and not dealing with a landlord, i could decorate and change things as i liked.  There were many reasons buying a house sounded like a good idea, but it was not a decision i thought through to its conclusion.  Before you set yourself on buying a house be VERY sure you are ready for the responsibility and headaches that come with homeownership.  And create a budget before you buy, making sure you can afford your monthly payments without compromising your current standard of living.  If your payments on the loan are greater than 30% of your monthly income you are likely going to struggle with balancing your budget each month.  Good luck and best wishes

                Ulfkel and Esa

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 14, 2009
                      I know for the PHRE major it is! Senior Seminar is tough for that major. You meet a few times the semester before you take it so you can read over the summer.

                      Harry

                      On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Amy Dickemper <ozark_amy@hotmail. com> wrote:

[...]

                    • Katherine Schneider
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 16, 2009
                        I am not sure if it has been taken yet but the apartment that Adam & myself lived in last year is small and cheap.  It's 402 E. McPherson St. Apt. C.  The rent for that apartment was $250 a month.  The owner did change so you will have to ask for the new price if there is one.  (We also didn't have to pay for water).  The new owner is Michael Waddington his e-mail is waddington.michael@...  if you would like to contact him.

                         ~Alessandra