Mmmm...Chatelainey.

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
      Hey, you crazy kids!

      Just got the email back from Lord Gwydion, our current Kingdom Chatelaine. I am all approved and official, yay! This means that it is my responsibility to organize recruitment efforts, talk to the newbies, etc. I'm here to take care of you guys. Like you need it, I know y'all are independent and self-sufficient, right? Right? D:

      That said, you may or may not remember my Five Step Plan For Awesomeness, World Domination, and Fall Recruitment. It went like this:

      1. Table at Truman Week club perusal day, just like we usually do, BUT we follow up by camping on the quad during the first and third week of classes. Camping will have to be as period as we possibly can make it. I am happy to offer The Naughty Tent towards this goal. I also think it would be awesome to have a table inside the Naughty Tent with various examples of our crafts, along with an index card to sum it up for people with Inquiring Minds who Want to Know. If we could have 2 (or more) people on duty outside the tent handing out flyers and offering quick answers to passerby, and one person inside the tent to attend the A&S table, that would be great. We want singing! We want dancing! We want people sitting outside polishing our shiniest armor and looking wistful and AWESOME (because let's not cut out the portion of the population that has had for their whole lives a subconscious longing to hit people with sticks.) We want spectacles that will show the world *cough*gulliblefreshman*cough* how cool we are. :) So wear your absolutely best garb! We have to emphasize that there is something here for *everyone*. If someone is into math, tell them about the earliest form of calculator: the abacus! If someone is a chem major, talk about how the art of alchemy was the medieval form of today's chemistry and how it relates to many modern discoveries today: medicine and nuclear transmutation, for example.
      In any half-decent English class, you'll learn that in a short story, you have to grab your audience's attention ASAP. Same thing here.  Grab someone, find out what they are interested in--ask their hobbies, their major, anything! And find some kind of period thing that is closely related to what they do. If they're into art...well, they're probably already familiar with Michelangelo, but talk about scribe work! If they like cars, talk about the wonderful machinery that Leonardo da Vinci invented during the Renaissance. If they think we'll give them something they like, they'll be much more easy to wheedle into coming to meetings.
      We need HEAPS of informational material (probably on another table in the Naughty Tent). Let's have the PicDic out, a packet of diagrams and brief summaries of the garb typical to region and period, and lots of *colorful* flyers--be aggressive with those flyers! (I want them up on every bulletin board on campus, goddammit!)

      2. Acquire names and emails of everyone interested. I've talked to several people who simply forgot about us, or forgot where we meet. People who got lost somewhere between recruitment and regular meetings. We need a clipboard so people can put down their names and emails. After that, I will handle sending them annoying reminder emails every week until they either join the Yahoo list or say "omg plz to be stoppin, mai inbox iz hatin on u. 20 messages? do not want!"

      3.  Schedule demo of medieval dance and music for the middle of the early semester. PLAN EARLY, book AHEAD of time (whoever's job this is... I don't know. President of the club, probably. Who is that, anyway?)  Let's talk to some fighters who love us and offer them cake to come do a demo for us.

      4. Let's be sure to take care of new members immediately. Again, pander to their interests--if we find out that someone has an interest that someone else in the group already has, let's get them adopted out. I can't do this all by myself--I need you guys. I need your help if we're going to *cough*takeoverthecampus--ohcomeonyouknowwehaveenougharmorforthat*cough* do some awesome recruiting. So if a newbie is a music major, tie them up and take them to Kasha *immediately*. Slap as many newbies as we can with mentors, get them a name, device, and persona, and--here's the most important part in the entire plan--teach them the songs. If we can get a couple songs stuck so hard in their heads that they just will not come out? We have achieved our goal, and we will have new members. :D
      At our populace meetings, let's bring some loaner garb. That way, if newbies show up and we're all in garb, we can say, "No problem, would you like to wear this t-tunic/sideless surcoat/cotehardie/houppelande?" If we do this, they won't feel out of place. What better way to endear someone's heart to you than to offer them the chance to wear this spectacular outfit?
      (Note: Make sure the garb you bring is clean, please. :D)

      5. Get them to an event! Bully them into going! Beat them until they agree to go! Possibilities include: Tournament of Valor (September 5&6), Known World Scribal Symposium (September 12 & 13--am definitely going!!), Coronation (19 & 20), Gryphon Festival (????, 26 & 27), Midrealm 40th Birthday (October 3 & 4), Calontir Scribal Symposium & Regional Fighters Practice: Quills vs Swords (17 & 18, btw, I hear that this event is FREEEEE. Am definitely going to this one too! It is in Standing Stones (Columbia), so it is super close!).
       We might even be able to get someone to Ages of War (August 29 & 30), which is the first Saturday after Truman Week. XD It has a Russian theme, so I will be poking Zhenya and Kasha about this.  God knows we have at least two spare Russian outfits, although I pity the person who has to wear either piece of Zhenya's horrible magenta and cranberry garb. (I love you, Zhenya, and I hope you're holding up your habit of not keeping up with the list! They are lovely colors, just not together, and not on you.)

      So that's it. I'd like this to be a discussion for everyone. :) Do you have any other ideas? What and who got YOU interested in it? Is there anything else we could have done that would have gotten you even more involved? When did you decide "This is awesome"? Was it when we got to your first event? When you sat through your first court? When you attended your first bardic circle? Let me hear your stories and suggestions!

      And that concludes my inaugural address. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu! Ganbarimasu! (Please be kind to me! I'll be working hard!)

      Yours in Service,
      Isabella Caresini

      PS. Leonardus, I spotted a discrepancy on the website: Towards the bottom of the page, it says "please send email to our webmaster, Leonardus de Bellewode" and in the footnote it says "is maintained by Leonardus de Gleeman". Since it has to do with your own name, I thought you might like to know, just to keep things straight. XD Also, if it were me, I'd put the word "guestbook" as a link TO the guestbook.  And you can update the officers page (which I see has another discrepancy, re: your name.)
      (Also, why does the footnote say "the recognized website for the College of Bell"?? Most confused.)
      (In the second footnote, the word "please" in "pleas contact the web minister" is misspelt. I realize that misspellings are period, but... well, just FYI. :D)
      (And as long as we're on the subject, Rhiannon has shit-tons of pictures of Lilies on her Facebook. It would be awesome if the pictures page could have more photos. :D If you are not friends with her on Facebook, I am sure she would be happy to email them to you.)
      (Why are all the photos the same size? It makes for distortions... Something that might be better to do is set up a photobucket account, re-scale images to the size we like, and then post... Just a suggestion)
      Sorry for this grocery list! I didn't really intend for it to be this long. I just kept looking around the website and finding teeny things that bother my detail oriented brain. They should all be easy tweaks, though. Thanks for your hard work! =D
    • Justin Crouch
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
[...]

        Yes...thanks for the list actually, although I will not be able to fix these things till I have internet*(when I get to TSU) and have bella up and running(she has a cold or flu or something, minor hiccup hope im fixing tonight)
        I will keep this saved so I can come back to it when i have the time...photobucket(check) will do too...Um...when do we need people for the Truman Week thing? I'm planning on moving in the 25th, would be there sooner if I had a place to stay...since they can't open the dorm to us earlier...grrr...

        Also, when IS our first meeting the first thursday of classes or the next week?

        Leonardus O
        di vos incolumes custodiant

        For Kingdom, For Brothers, For Lovers, it is for these that I fight. It is for them that I die.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
          The Truman Week table is not a problem--I don't know exactly when the Club Perusal Day thing is, but  it makes sense for it to be on Wednesday, after people have moved in... We won't do the camping on the quad until the first week of real classes (first week of September), so no worries about that. :)

          As for our first meeting... Well, classes start on Thursday the 27th, don't they? So I assume that we might as well have our first meeting that day. Everyone will be back on Tuesday. I think we can swing it. :) Ermenrich and Kasha are currently out of town for Kasha's sister's wedding, so I'm sure they will know when they get back.

          Out of curiousity, if you don't have interwebs, how are you emailing me? XD

          --Isabella