Re:Fabric source/T-tunic pattern plug

  • E. Mallory
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
      I have 'heard' rumors of Wal-mart closing down their fabric section for close to two years now, and both the Chillicothe and Brookfield locations are still getting new patterns, and fabric... not sure how accurate it is, but as rumors go, it's not a good one. Wal-mart has run so many of the smaller fabric places out of business, I've even seen Mennonite's shopping in Brookfield for fabrics... it's sad.

      if Wal-mart does close down their fabric section, at least in rural stores like out here in MO, I think they are really being stupid... there are quite a few people that rely on those low cost fabrics, and it isn't really going to be easy for them to find alternate sources for stuff at anywhere close to the same prices...

      even if the stuff is made in china, it does serve a purpose...

      However, on a much more positive note, Yes, I agree - Linen is a much more appropriate choice for most SCA garb, and hopefully the availability of it through websites such as the one you mentioned will help provide alternatives to the broadcloth, and other prints that are more anachronistic than historical :-)

      .//Eric//.
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008

        The Wal Marts in KC, I know of 2 that still have fabric, and a dozen that have lost it.

        The rural stores are more likely to keep them, as they are the places where more people buy fabric.

        As Jacob is in Atlanta , it is likely he’s seen some close down as well.

        However, I feel the need to remind people that 100% cotton, non-patterened broadcloth, is actually  very very period.  In Italy/France, it was the highest form of fashion, as it came from the southern side of the Med, and was more rare – it was highly sought after.

        Not that I disagree about the use of Linen.  Owning some linen outfits, I am quite happy with the fabric.  But when college students can get 2 and 3 dollar a yard cotton, and it looks decent, I say get what you can afford J

        Just my 2 pfhennings worth.

        -Roberto

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008

          I remember the Wal-Mart in Kirksville having a large corner of the store devoted to fabric and crafts. The Wal-Mart up the road has 3 tiny aisles, and only a half of one aisle has fabric, mostly prints but some broadcloth and pretty thin at that.

          There is one exceptionally good fabric store in the middle of the city (lots of silk, pavillion material), but driving 90+ miles there and back I have to be sure of what I want before I go. I'm on the very outskirts of the city. (Acworth/Cartersville)

          Going with an early Saxon persona and not wishing to wear wool I've been trying to hunt out linen for a while, or at least cotton that wouldn't felt like crazy in the wash. I did have one undertunic made of linen and it was soooo comfy.

          Speaking of tunics, I'm currently making one using the pattern I mentioned earlier. When I'm done I'm going to make one without the center insets and play with the geometry . It'll be easy to readd them later if it really needs them. If I get the blasted cellphone to download pictures correctly I'll put them somewhere.

          YIS,
          Jacob the Singer

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
            I didn't mean anything negative - just that it might be a bit on the anachronistic side to be using patterned fabric we have now for looks that were made with a different technique in period... the A stands for anachronistic, and I was just pointing out that it's fun to do what you can to come up with something comfortable, looks decent, and isn't exactly a stage costume...(cause most stage costumes I've seen don't wear that well, and look horribly gaudy up close... it's just how they're designed - they're made for the stage, not for use as "Garb".)

            in any case, as I mentioned before, I am glad to hear about sources for fabrics, in any shape or form, as I am definitely going to need a new wardrobe (garb wise) over the next year or so, because if this last interview was any indication, there is a good chance I am going to be moving into the Columbia/Jeff City region... hopefully the job will pay well enough for me to afford the gas back and forth for a short time as we begin our search for a new place in the area... nothing is set in stone yet, but it was a great 2nd interview...

            .//E//.
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008

              Best of luck with the potential position.

              -Roberto

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
                I just thought you all might like to know that Zimmerman's is still in
                operation. They have a pretty decent selection of $1-2 fabrics
                ("seconds") and an amazing selection of slightly more expensive
                fabrics. Most of the fabrics there are are cotton blends, but you
                occasionally find other natural fabrics like wool there too. It's in
                the middle of Rutledge, and open all week and Saturdays (9-4:30 or 5)
                unless it's a religious holiday. Just don't go there on the first or
                second weekend of the month unless you want to contend with the crowd
                from the flea market (a good place to find feast gear if you have the
                time to spend there).